DISCUSSION THREAD -- April 2022 -- 300 Word Writing Challenge #45

Dan Jones: In this wholly original variation on an ancient tale, the use of sensory metaphors create a vivid sense of reality. In this way, the reader becomes the protagonist, sharing all experiences and emotions.

Luiglin: With the clockwork precision of a classic farce, the author mingles characters from a variety of sources into a single device of much amusement. In this way, tribute is paid to the originators, with a smile.

Cheers to @Dan Jones for the loan of a certain creation so they could make a guest appearance. I had way too much fun with this one.

So! After my last Sir Reggie tale bit the dust in the January 300, I was bereft, my cheeks flapping with magnificent grief in the warm April breeze. Bedone with him, I exfiltrated the plutowed bumbulosity from my creative bent, and decided to loan him out for a used tenner.

Hawking him on top of a soap box, I squawked like a Romford greengrocer, waving Sir Reggie's pink velour cravat above my head, "Sir Reggie, gotta go, ten paand only, gotta go tonight, get yer Sir Reggies here!"

When who should amble up but Luiglin himself, dressed in a maroon cape and spectacles (and nothing else), his eyes whirling like a monsoon-bedevilled Salomé, hardly able to keep all his fingers on for the sheer excitement of it all.

"Dix pounds est trop cher!" Luiglin screamed, slapping his own face in unrelenting delight. "Je t'offrirai zero pounds!"

"Done!" I combobulated, hitching my trousers up to my chest and striding away with as much braggadocio as I could remember from the long days and nights I spent nobbing in the Hungarian Navy.

And so was the tale of how Sir Reggie was loaned out, but for a day.

SIR REGINALD RIGMAROLE WILL RETURN!

@Dan Jones .... Labyrinth .... Dan lets us know that the line between material and immaterial can be fuzzier than most of us believe.

@Luiglin .... Ill met by torchlight .... Luiglin gives us another peek into the life and misadventures of the Dark Lord who really appears to be in the middle of it today.

magpie Asylum: The breathless pace of this science fiction suspense story makes the reader's heart beat faster, wondering what the outcome of this crisis might be. The fact that the revelation is unimaginable adds to the sense of terror.

Quokka: In what might be described as a unique blend of romantic comedy and surreal fantasy, we learn that beauty is, indeed, in the eye of the beholder. The fact that one who might seem repulsive is the object of affection appeals to the optimist in all of us.

At least @nixie can fix it herself.

-----------------------------------------------------

@Daysman ..... borrowed armour .... Daysman reminds us that some of the most important lessons are learned from the dead.

@magpie Asylum .... TOO DEEP .... M. A. takes us on a ride into the horrors of the deep. Luckily they are only in our imagination. Right?

@Quokka .... Love and Marriage Marine .... Quokka brings us a story that gives us a light hearted love story, with a deep insight.
(I was looking for a U.S. Marine Corps story. I was surprised.)

Last edited:
johnnyjet: The author manages the difficult task of taking the reader into the world of utterly different beings, allowing us to see our own world through their eyes. With this perspective, we learn how our actions may produce unexpected results in others.

Phyrebrat: This intimate portrait of a specific place, time, and individual creates a sense of verisimilitude that causes its speculative content to seems as real as the rest of its content. In this way, the subtle and inexplicable horror of the final revelation possesses great power.

@johnnyjet .... In Remembrance .... J.J. reminds us that one's mans trash is another man's Godly treasure.

@Phyrebrat .... The Catch .... The Brat tells a tale of a poor barber doing his best and paying a surprising price.

@johnnyjet: In 300 words we get a culture, a history, a social pecking order and mythology, with the kind of cargo cult misunderstandings that often mark some of the best sci fi stories. Well played Ole Boy, Well played.

worldofmutes: The jazzy, surreal, frenzied imagery of this psychological character study blazes past the reader's senses like the solo performance of a virtuoso. The enigmatic nature of the narrator leaves us dazzled.

Back