DISCUSSION THREAD -- April 2022 -- 300 Word Writing Challenge #45

I think one of the more important lessons I’ve learned for myself participating in these challenges, is to not take lack of mentions and votes personally. It’s easy to fall into the “they just don’t get my writing” self pity trap, but as long as I enjoy writing them, can accept feedback in the improvement threads and objectively assess my own shortcomings and look to improve them, then that’s what matters to me.

Writing is also like developing software: if you wait until the product is bug free and feature complete it will never be released. Get it to a suitable point and let it fly!

True. Years ago I wrote a 75 that referenced the Id and Ego and Superego. Not one mention. I was screaming ‘philistines don’t get my wondrous fabulosity’. Showed it to my sis who said — ‘it’s too smugly clever and you sound like a (rude word beginning with w).

But the best thing about not getting votes or mentions is to use it to power grudges :D

I think one of the more important lessons I’ve learned for myself participating in these challenges, is to not take lack of mentions and votes personally. It’s easy to fall into the “they just don’t get my writing” self pity trap, but as long as I enjoy writing them, can accept feedback in the improvement threads and objectively assess my own shortcomings and look to improve them, then that’s what matters to me.

Writing is also like developing software: if you wait until the product is bug free and feature complete it will never be released. Get it to a suitable point and let it fly!

The great thing about the Challenges is that there is always another one coming along soon, whether it's the 75/100 or 300 worder. Sometimes it's fun just to try something a bit different or just let fly with something and see what reception it gets. It's funny, because some of the months when I think that I've come up with a really great entry it gets barely mentioned, yet other times something that I enter on the spur of the moment does far better than I expected.

If I can keep busy by writing, and maybe make someone else laugh or approve of something I've written then that is all I can ask for.

The great thing about the Challenges is that there is always another one coming along soon, whether it's the 75/100 or 300 worder. Sometimes it's fun just to try something a bit different or just let fly with something and see what reception it gets. It's funny, because some of the months when I think that I've come up with a really great entry it gets barely mentioned, yet other times something that I enter on the spur of the moment does far better than I expected.

If I can keep busy by writing, and maybe make someone else laugh or approve of something I've written then that is all I can ask for.

Sometimes, no matter how good your story is, no matter how much effort you’ve put in, someone else writes something better.

That’s why we shouldn’t kick ourselves with low or no votes - other people write great stuff.

Sometimes, no matter how good your story is, no matter how much effort you’ve put in, someone else writes something better.

That’s why we shouldn’t kick ourselves with low or no votes - other people write great stuff.
Speak for yourself, it's been the only exercise I've undertaken during the pandemic.

Parson writes note to himself. "Try very hard not to have two days when you can't spend time on this site when the 300 Word ChalleWnge wraps up. Or you will spend half an evening reviewing stories."

@Mon0Zer0 .... The Madness of Shoals ....
Mon0Zer0 reminds us that the perfect crime is only perfect in the mind of the criminal. Nothing is foolproof. There is one fool who realizes it now.

@Perpetual Man .... It .... Perp points out the truth that everyone knows. When there's a manmade catastrophe there is enough blame to go around.

@worldofmutes .... The Explosion Man .... W.O.M. helps us to understand that nearly every gift can be destructive given the right circumstances.

@mosaix .... Delusions of Grandeur .... Mosaix gifts us with an illustration of what null understanding can look like.

@therapist .... Pictures of him .... Therapist presents a case study of loop behavior response.

@Elckerlyc .... Artistic License Overdrive .... Elc makes a defense of the truism that no one should play God.

@Ian Fortytwo .... The Gemini Process .... I 42 puts a Biblical insight to work. "And the two shall become one."

@Teresa Edgerton .... METAMORPHOSIS .... T.E. writes a story like every true story in which at the moment of greatest need the greatest good is seen.

@paranoid marvin .... Unable Seamen .... P.M. knows that makes a seaman whose less than able.

(I'm glad you didn't pun the last word. I was almost afraid to read the story.)

@M. Robert Gibson .... A Little Fishy Tale .... M.R.G. writes a story that halibut puns.

@chrispenycate .... In Crustation .... C.P. goes hard shell environmental adaptation on us.

@The Judge .... The Sea Cave .... T.J. writes an epic story of paying your debts and making the most of your life.

@Marvin .... Elephants!? .... Marv points out that in a water world zoos will be even a greater attraction.

@Bren G .... Retribution .... B.G. thinks about a time when the sea collects its due.

@Ursa major .... And Now for Something Completely Different .... U. M. points out that sometimes you've got to think outside the tried and true.

Yea! I made it. Might as well vote next!

We seem to have hit on an environmental "wave" here. And as might be expected that resulted in a lot of bleak stories. I did not get a story written. I just couldn't make my muse respond to that picture at all.

Shortlisted because:

The Uprising by @Astro Pen because it shows how intelligence is not a match for greed.

Fish-Man! by @Christine Wheelwright because this was the perfect comic book set up. (You might be on to something here.) (I can't turn the bold off on this line. GRRR!)

MARKET DAY by @Jo Zebedee because love does conquer all and there's nothing sweeter than a little girl.

Metamorphosis by @Teresa Edgerton because this was a masterful story of redemption.

The Sea Cave by @The Judge because I love stories where there is a long obedience in the same direction.

------

Votes: Fish Man! --- Metamorphosis --- The Sea Cave
--- A most worthy trio of stories. Well done!

My Short List and *** Top Three ***:

Fish-Man! - Christine Wheelwright
*** MARKET DAY - Jo Zebedee ***
*** Museum Piece - Victoria Silverwolf ***

TOO DEEP - magpie Asylum
The Catch – Phyrebrat
The Explosion Man – worldofmutes
Pictures of him – therapist
Artistic License Overdrive – Elckerlyc
*** METAMORPHOSIS - Teresa Edgerton ***
The Sea Cave - The Judge

And it's a coincidence that my 3 favorites all start with the letter "M"--really.

Another wonderful batch this month. There's a lot of good writing - vivid imagery, thought provoking ideas and clever little stories (y)

Shortlist
A Space Freighter Pilot’s Journal - @Starbeast
A Spacefaring Captain - @JS Wiig
Children of a Foreign Sea - @BT Jones
borrowed armour - @Daysman
TOO DEEP - @magpie Asylum
METAMORPHOSIS - @Teresa Edgerton
Retribution - @Bren G

Runner-up
Museum Piece - @Victoria Silverwolf

Votes
Fish-Man! - @Christine Wheelwright
Fish Food - @Peter V
Ill met by torchlight - @Luiglin

And a special mention for
Unable Seamen - @paranoid marvin which I would have entitled Dad's Navy ;)

Back