Discussion Thread -- APRIL 2022 75 Word Writing Challenge

Luiglin

Getting worse one day at a time
Supporter
Love it.
like.jpg

JS Wiig: The author makes use of hard science fiction concepts to tell a charming tale of the importance of everyday gestures of kindness.

Ashleyne: The perfectly crafted rhythm of this poem carries all the power of an intensely emotional rap song, drawing the reader into the speaker's inner world.

Have I broke the 75 or had everyone written stories based on the chase the theme was to be "Sticky footed evil overlord with penchant for sharp farm implements, preferably pitchforks"?

They're very good prompts, @Luiglin, no worries! Might be a slow start just because of the state of the world... having a bit of trouble myself, concentrating on writing. But the Challenge should work out just fine! CC

So, for the rest of this Challenge I am officially story number 5. May writers 6 through...? have good luck with their stories, CC

Bowler1 rests one hand on a RAY GUN holster while holding a pitchfork in the other (no-one can accuse me of not going prepared), with a knowing look for Luiglin. No-one breaks the 75 word challenge, try as they might... but explosives have not been used that I know of, about we give that a go?

@Victoria Silverwolf .... Adaptation .... When you spend your life naval gazing there is nothing to think about outside.

@JS Wiig .... Only One Way to Cook in the Vacuum of Space .... Any gift can only be truly seen through the love it carries.

@Ashleyne .... Don’t Test Me .... as told by Mac the Knife.

@Luiglin .... Taking the stress out of torturing .... A simple machine can make a grave difference.

@Cat's Cradle .... The Test Case .... Pressure applied in the right amount makes for a fine test.

@Bowler1 .... Feeling the PRESSURE .... Sometimes the most important actions are slowed by inconsequential ones.

Well, I was kicking the story below around in my head for a while. But there is no way I could get it down to 75 words. So; back to the drawing board. Anyway, I thought I'd put it here in the discussion forum. With a nod to Harlan Ellison, obviously.

An Unfortunate Choice​

Humans are delicious, said the Torgaryn to herself, running a tentacle over the flaps of her absorption orifice in anticipation. She docked her stolen shuttle with the space station and browsed the thousands of Space Fleet personnel records in the database before choosing one, almost at random, and shape-shifting into the required form. Colonel Jane Goodwin. Why not? And the seniority would help with getting on board.

But the inner airlock was not opened for her.

“I hate to be kept waiting,” she said sternly into the intercom. “Give me your name immediately!”

“My name is Jane. Goodbye!” came the response

The Torgaryn turned to see the side hatch of the airlock tunnel opening. The air whooshed out, the pressure dropped, and she could see stars against the blackness of space. As the pain overcame her, a final thought lodged in her mind: I have no absorption orifice and I must scream!

Cat's Cradle: In this slice of life from the future, we experience a variety of emotions in a short space.

Bowler1: The open-ended nature of this tale of irrevocable decisions allows the reader to ponder life's choices.

Christine Wheelwright (extra story): A tribute to a previous work adds a piquant touch to this science fiction suspense story.

@Christine Wheelwright .... (Extra Story) An Unfortunate Choice .... Some days Murphy rules, your pressure fails, and your whole life gets blown away.

@Astro Pen .... The Squeeze .... The wrong squeeze makes a person squeeze vulnerable, which finally squeezes life out.

I must admit to getting a little confused when it comes to 'speculative fiction' (and that's even after reading the Wiki description).

Isn't fiction by definition 'speculative'? And what fiction would be covered under the 'open' genre that couldn't be included in 'speculative'?

When I think of speculative fiction I understand it as science fiction/fantasy/horror and all of the subgenres under that, i.e. grim dark, alt history etc. For me the setting is very important. It needs to be a "speculative" setting.

As to what fiction which would not be considered speculative fiction that would be stories that are set in the present day or in an actual historical setting. So works of romance, intrigue, thrillers, etc. with ordinary settings would not be speculative fiction.

But hey, I'm just a country parson, what do I know?

When I think of speculative fiction I understand it as science fiction/fantasy/horror and all of the subgenres under that, i.e. grim dark, alt history etc. For me the setting is very important. It needs to be a "speculative" setting.

As to what fiction which would not be considered speculative fiction that would be stories that are set in the present day or in an actual historical setting. So works of romance, intrigue, thrillers, etc. with ordinary settings would not be speculative fiction.

But hey, I'm just a country parson, what do I know?
Seconded. A WWII story about D-Day landings would be horrific but historical... unless we had weird science, then it'd be speculative.

Right you lot, in you come.
Stick together now, no... over here, yes you... over here I said.
Put that down, you'll take his eye out.
Hang on, have you lot not cleaned your boots... well, answer me.
Put that back, it's not yours.
Right, stand still now and whatever you do, don't shuffle your feet. I'm not sure this red paint will wash out.

Stone me, it's like herding cats.

I have Orcs here that were stomping about on some parade field making a right mess, and they're well up for breaking the 75 word competition. A handy lot with pitchforks as long as health and safety doesn't get involved, it can get hairy when they bunch together. So this could be it, the last ever 75 worder ever.

Will you put that down, it's not a toy.
Stand still I said.

But it's nearly always speculative fiction, because people cba to think of a specific genre,
As a genre it is pretty nebulous, as the wiki page implies. This is good allows both sides if sf-f camp to have a fair shot each month
This leads to a very diverse and interesting gaggle of stories.
I just treat it as 'general' and let my imagination go on the given theme.

Back