Short story search(es)

julianw55

Hard(ish) sf from the 60s/70s; anthology from library - quite possibly Gollancz books. Not Asimov or Clarke.

Story 1 - boys returning from a science Summer camp with breakthrough 'inventions' such as a 'pre-shave' depilator lotion.

Story 2 - astronauts returning from a space mission find they are regrowing lost body parts (eg teeth).

My problem is that I read so widely at the time (still do) and my memory for detail 50 years on is not what it was... Titles and authors have gone but the plot details stuck! Wracking my brain for ages with no success. Any help greatly appreciated!

Hi,

I can't remember the name or title (It might be Vernor Vinge?) but there's a book in which a dead astronaut's personality is resurrected into a criminal's body of some future earth, and then sent out on a solo mission to the stars which lasts thousands of years. He finds the secret of immortality when he returns to an even further in the future Earth. It's a transporter that lets him move from one building to the outside, which somehow removes all the old, corrupt DNA / cells. I think he regrew some teeth.

Cheers, Greg.

Hi,

I can't remember the name or title (It might be Vernor Vinge?) but there's a book in which a dead astronaut's personality is resurrected into a criminal's body of some future earth, and then sent out on a solo mission to the stars which lasts thousands of years. He finds the secret of immortality when he returns to an even further in the future Earth. It's a transporter that lets him move from one building to the outside, which somehow removes all the old, corrupt DNA / cells. I think he regrew some teeth.

Cheers, Greg.
This one is World Out Of Time by Larry Niven. Don't think it is what the OP is looking for though

Hi,

Cheers, Greg.
Thank you - but it's not that! I think Vinge is a (much?) later writer than the story I'm after. Thanks anyway!