The Adam Project (2022)

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
I just watched this new time-travel film from Netflix. IMdB classifies it as Action, Adventure and Comedy.

Rotten Tomatoes gave it an average rating of 6.2/10.

"After stealing a time jet and accidentally crash-landing in 2022, time-traveling fighter pilot Adam Reed teams up with his 12-year-old self for a mission to save the future."
The Adam Project
Watchable time-traveling film. Maybe a little too quippy to be as clever as it wanted to be.
Watchable family fare, although I'd probably rate it PG-13 for language.
I found it overly sentimental. The young actor is probably the best part of it.

Apparently, originally Tom Cruise was attached to star, back when it first began production as Our name is Adam back in 2012. The film then fell into development hell until Netflix acquired the distribution rights from Paramount. I can still see the usual Tom Cruise persona within the Ryan Reynolds character.

There are time jets firing missiles at each other, and at vehicles; shots fired in residential properties, multiple car pile-ups, and a hi-tech engineering works folds in on itself and then explodes, but not one policeman or national guardsman is seen, nor any aircraft scrambled. I find this plot unreasonable.

Also, like it or not, the original timeline has still been changed, and it is not reset by the events of this film but merely altered again. The destruction of the mathematical formula only means that another physicist in a few years time will independently discover it, it does not mean that it never will be written.
I think older Adam asked younger Adam, "Didn't you see Terminator?" so he should know this too.