SF on TV: What’s the Greatest Single Teleplay or Episode of All Time?

While it may not be the best per se, I've always had a fondness for Farscape and the episode Crackers Don't Matter, where they all get increasingly obsessive and violent over stupid little things, while Crichton is mostly saved by the chip he doesn't know is in his head yet.

It's total insanity but comes together so well.

While it may not be the best per se, I've always had a fondness for Farscape and the episode Crackers Don't Matter, where they all get increasingly obsessive and violent over stupid little things, while Crichton is mostly saved by the chip he doesn't know is in his head yet.

It's total insanity but comes together so well.

One of my favourite episodes too. That and "Scratch 'n Sniff".

One of my favourite episodes too. That and "Scratch 'n Sniff".
Funnily enough, that's one of the few episodes I had no recollection of - and I love Farscape. Looked it up though and the ending reminded me of the episode where Chiana shoots the poison vein to kill a guy slowly... she really has a knack for making deaths memorable.

There are so many great episodes though, even when they're based on tired tropes like body-swapping or alternate dimensions bleeding together.

Star Trek Next Generation Darmok. It really made me think about communication and the use of metaphors.

A very good, very well thought out episode.

I always found it incredible how TNG could swing so much from powerful, profound episodes to banal, tedious ones. Perhaps 25-30 episodes was too many, or perhaps they took the 'scattergun' approach and just fired off loads of ideas hoping that some would stick. I suppose we all have our favourites and our stinkers from the 170-odd episodes that were produced.

It dealt with issues of personal freedom no matter your origins so, yes, really.
The Prisoner dealt with similar issues of personal freedom.

I think at the time of first watching, it was an intriguing episode. There were episodes raising similar issues later in the series, but none as effective as this.

Star Trek Next Generation Darmok. It really made me think about communication and the use of metaphors.
And The Lower Decks did a bit of damage to that episode .