Enduring Qualities of the Doctor?

Margaret Note Spelling

Small beautiful events are what life is all about.
Obviously, the fact that the Doctor changes, both in personality and appearance, has been built into the character from his very first regeneration. By now, I expect everyone will have an opinion about their favorite Doctor--which Doctors they disliked, which ones they loved, and which Doctors were merely okay. So my question now is: what, to you, really makes up the essential baseline qualities that every incarnation absolutely needs, in order to be the Doctor? What's most important? What "makes" the Doctor for you? What are you most looking for in the Doctor when you assess a new incarnation? What really makes the Doctor special for you?

There will never be a single answer we will all agree on, of course, and there will never be a truly "correct" answer. But perhaps, with enough people weighing in on this discussion, we could reach a better understanding of who this person "the Doctor" truly is for us all--independent of individual incarnations.

Last edited:
Hmm, interesting. I haven't actually watched New Who (although I know a number of things about it), so I haven't got any opinions about that myself.

What do you think best defined the Doctors you did enjoy?

Curiosity.
For me, the Doctor has always been the type of Gallifrayan [other spellings are available] who wonders what happens if I DO push the big red button...
If it went well, they would learn something new, or they would have to fix it if it didn't. But they were always ready to try new things, to look behind the curtain.
For me once you get past Christopher Eccleston the stories all get too EPIC.
I liked Sylvester McCoy's Doctor, but that could be because he had Ace beside him.

Hmm, interesting. I haven't actually watched New Who (although I know a number of things about it), so I haven't got any opinions about that myself.

What do you think best defined the Doctors you did enjoy?
I liked Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker, because they were quirky yet believable. Basically Jon Pertwee's Dr Who was trapped on Earth, whereas Tom Baker's Dr Who finally escaped from Earth. Great Science fiction of its day.

The Doctor is odd, serious about a problem but never in a panic. There is always a level of control and detachment. Which I've always associated with an essentially immortal life and a weariness from being alone in the long term. As if he is playing a role in something he knows will play out - fate.

I think, to me, the most defining quality has always been energy. The Doctor is always doing something, planning something, actively appreciating something about the universe. Always interested. Always ready for the next adventure. That's what makes it all fun in my mind. The magical element of Doctor Who is in its endless spirit of possibility and fascination, and the Doctor has an energy to match. While we're all terrified and hiding behind the sofa, the Doctor is the one putting together a crazy plan to save everything. He's not even that competent all the time--but he's always trying regardless. Always doing his best, regardless of the magnitude of the task before him. He's not a hero because he's terribly good at things, he's a hero because he genuinely makes his very best effort. And no matter what it brings him, he still has the capacity to appreciate the wonders of the universe.

The Doctor doesn't ever have to be impressive, or knowledgeable, or even comfortable to be around--he need only be eternally ready to do whatever he can. And to never stop being eager and excited to see what's around the next bend in the road.

Energy.

There are other plenty of other elements of the character you could focus on, of course, but that's the main one, to my mind.

Last edited:
hey everyone how are you all :)

I'm not sure of a complete answer but I just thought of some points.

Smart like building gadgets, flying Tardis ect though not all Geniuses are the Doctor, like Luke Smith could be Doctor like if he went on adventures for a long time and The Doctor has met lots of other smart people but he has a uniqueness to it I think like all smart people arent The Doctor if that makes sense.

You dont want to 'Mess' with The Doctor , he/she has often found a way of tripping up the enemies who think they have the upper hand with some clever trick ect or through help of companions but you dont wanna put The Doctor in the corner.

Wisdom to him and knowledge of the Universe far more than any Computer.

Compassion, heart, protector of people, Aliens and his friends.

Its interesting he respects many of his enemies even when they have done wrong, kinda like dont be cruel to people just cause they are bad or did bad.

Humor, well rounded character.

He can be very alien at times or see things in a perspective we dont have as human, sense something is wrong about a place ect and often not afraid of things we would be like a group of people pointing weapons at him ect

Keen to find out whats going on why ect and help people if something is wrong like if they are not being treated fairly ect

Unique skills/traits like speaking every language, incredible memory , resistances to radiation ect he looks human but its nice to see sometimes that he is far higher than us, hard to stop.

Fondness for adventure, danger and the wonders of the Universe.

Role model like with his speeches, drive to help even when things are going wrong ect very inspirational character we can pick parts of to help us through our lives.

I think these are key elements of The Doctor :) , I do like some of the things others have said in this section but from heart I think of these things.

Regards - Declan Sargent

Do you know why?

I liked McCoy but the show had definitely taken a turn for the worse at that point, from which it hasn't recovered. The obsession with continuity, the show being run by fanboys, the elevation of the doctor into a godlike being, all served to turn Doctor Who from a free-roaming, unpredictable adventure into a closed system.

4938C904-8BF4-4C0A-B16A-D8CA88202F5C.jpeg