2.03: Star Trek: Picard - Assimilation

ctg

weaver of the unseen
KgEfiqX.jpg

Picard and the crew travel back to 2024 Los Angeles in search of the "Watcher," who can help them identify the point at which time diverged. Seven, Raffi and Rios venture out into an unfamiliar world 400 years in their past, while Picard and Jurati attempt to gather information from an unlikely, and dangerous, ally.

Last edited:
I knew it, but I liked that Elnor was the only casualty from the hubby's revenge. Seven tried to put him in the place, but for being stubborn, hubby didn't listen. I knew as soon as he pistol whipped Seven that he was going to the kingdom of hurt and pain. But what I didn't guess was that he would be atomised.

Well done Raffi, no need for the hubby and he was only a speed bump in the way to Seven's pants. Disintegration approved.

eZld7E6.jpg

A small and a meaningful detail. Admiral Picard sitting in the pilots chair. I know we can see Rios handling the control, but he's also sitting in the Captain's chair and with three person setup, he's sitting in the helmsman or in the pilot's chair. Seven rightly sat down in the co-pilots chair and proceeded to become a weapon's op as that's her thing.

Admiral as a pilot and Captain barging fire-orders is a welcome sight. At least this time we didn't had to listen manoeuvrer commands as the old man handled the business himself. You could almost quote the classic, "If you want it to be done properly, you'll have to do it yourself."

It didn't help that Q interfered and to be honest, I was expecting the old man spit out, "Q, F*** off!" instead asking, "Did you see that?"

The best twist came from the Queen for escaping the prison and assimilating with the ship.

CoA4xdM.jpg

Where she's going, she does not need any legs. I don't know if it has ever come up, but the way she took over the whole situation might have been the original way for the assimilation. That there was no Collective at first, but a single individual like the Borg Queen doing things that would require huge bollocks in normal life, by going against everyone and winning the battles.

It didn't took her a long to do the calculations and dispose the chasers. In fact, I'd say that she did it all of it in a record time. Almost as if she'd done it thousands of times already, and all she did was a routine.

The intriguing bit is that they chose to show the travel through time-continuum or through a temporal barrier in a classical tube style. And that the travellers were experiencing temporal illusions during the transit. Out of all TT's that we've watched over the years, that is the first time for those anomalies.

Funny thing and a classical mistake that they made when the ship came out from the transit space was showing Earth much closer than it's real place to the Sun. In story terms crashing to Earth was a bit of reach as if they'd done it with real space terms, they would have had time to notice malfunctions.

So, the crash was intentional way from the writers to make them locked in the 21st century. And even though Elnor suffered because of it, especially with the Queen siphoning the power to save herself, they also solved the biggest problem on the way crew with Elenor looking like an alien. It's sad that we lost him, but in order to save our heroes they need the Queen more than Elnor.

gwB8xh0.jpg

The old man said, "If we fail here, we fail Elnor. And everyone in our home world. Therefore, despite the fact that it's against every impulse that we feel inside us... we have to press on."

Seven wanted to double tap the Queen and I get her, because the Queen is everything that she tries not to be. In a way Seven could be a queen, but she doesn't want to. Borg are a disease or a curse even though Seven should accept herself as one member of a very strange species, a minority with maximum potentiality.

However it was Raffi who voiced the "disappointment in leadership," even though as a captain and academy teacher, she should understood the situation clearly. Anger only leads to hatred and the subject was Picard's weakness with dealing with the Q.

Picard's answer was to go to seek out the watcher. Who or what are they?

Only admiral didn't go out, and neither did Dr Jurati, instead it was Rios, Raffi and Seven dressed up like a normal people. Why did they had normal clothes in the ship, while Dr and Adm jacked into the Queen.

Like an old man, Picard growled, "How do I know you're in trouble."

Doctors answer were, "You'll be talking to my subconscious the entire time." At that moment I felt that the old man wanted to order a cherry or four to get over the business. In the enterprise it was always someone else who handled the business while he held the family together. At least he didn't use the classical facepalm to rely his feelings, while Anges went on with her: "If anything goes wrong," speech.

He tried with a sigh and "Agnes..." speech, but dear doctor pushed on with, "I'll be fine... don't worry," argument before she dived into the crazy world. In Picard's shoes I would have gone straight to vodka and forgot the Earl Grey to get over the migraine.

Why? Well, while being a bit tipsy, everything looks positive and I pretty certain that the old man has built a bit of tolerance from sampling the wines. I also loved that they chose to play a version of Mama's and Papa's California's Dreaming as the old man accepted the task.

A better version however could might been Red Hot Chillies - Californication, imho.

When Agnes started relaying Queen's thoughts and feelings, I so wanted to him get something strong because it was clear that he was suffering. Especially when Agnes called him as his dad. The NG Picard would have blown his casket, while the old man could not do nothing. Not even get that shot or something.

Frankly, when Agnes raised her hand to stop Picard from pulling her out, I had a PTSD from a similar situation. You can be so hopeless against a stubborn woman and yet, you still have to try even though you already know the answer. You get called names, slapped, screamed, even slashed, even you still have to try and as an old man, there's only so much that you can take, before you know you cannot ever win the battle. Trying to do anything other than wait, is young man's game. Yet, he did it, he pulled the plug and the tranquil silence arrived.

Blessed are those who walk in the silence.

rka9aKA.jpg

I like that they chose to use as is picture instead of giving us a polished version from the city of angels. We know that the homelessness is a big problem and the city is far from the polished picture. To me it looked normal, especially showing all the races living in that cosmopolitan city. What I don't get is that why Raffi's knocked out guy was carrying so much cash instead of plastic, like we do?

Is the cash still a thing in the old US of A?

The best line came from Raffi after Seven disposed a guard with her selfie talk, "You and 2024 should get a room." :LOL:

I loved that Rios ended in the ER and then used the man talk, "I can walk out from here..." to fall on his face. Men and arguments... hold my beer, buddy... no, it ain't working. Women still knows the answers and they keep putting us back into our places. Blessed are the ladies.

We men are just stubborn mules who don't know better. So from now on, Captain Rios should also be carrying a guitar everywhere. Especially as he failed to see the ruse that Teresa used to fix his hand. Men, we should know better, but we never do.

mTBCjva.jpg

"Hello Locutus." Look at that smile. The Queen is pleased. Admiral however was pissing in his pants, but he kept his cools. It didn't take long for me to get that she had assimilated some of Agnes personality and become more pleasing than the old queen. I hope the old man were wearing the brown pants when he heard her opening.

"What do you want?" the old man spat out.

"Let's see.... legs, for starters. Followed up with a chorus of thoughts to drown out the gnawing silence. But from you, right now... I'll settle for the ship." Touche, dear admiral. You're going to need those brown pants or use those brass balls plus some old man stubbornness.

"It's a simple exchange, give me the ship and I'll give the watcher," she tried.

"No," was admiral's answer. "I'm not going to negotiate with you."

Well done Picard. Well done. When the Queen tried to continue with her sneering, the deep sigh told me so clearly that it was vodka time or at least Earl Grey and a Cherry. Women, they can't help themselves, when they get into the fight. They keep going on and on, with each poke going little deeper.

I loved that Agnes shut Queen with her command, "Computer, dictate the file logged 'Sh*t-I-stole-from-the-Borg-Queen." You could see that the old man loved it. Every moment of it. Stuffing the reality to the queen's face as if it was a good cake.

Bravo Dr Jurati and Grand Admiral Picard. Bravo!

The coordinates, 34.0488 N 118.2518 W. According to the DuckDuckGo It's an intersection at 5th and Hill St.

I loved that the old man quickly led Agnes away from the Queen when she told her, "I'm impressed that you fooled a Queen."

We can leave the matriarch mother to steam in her chamber. She will calm down, but she will remain devious and very dangerous.

The way the latest episode of Picard begins remixing The Voyage Home starts pretty quickly at the top of episode 3. As teased in the previous episode, the La Sirena crew uses the old-slingshot-around-the-sun time travel trick perfected by Kirk and Spock. Although this “cruder method” of time travel originated in the 1967 TOS episode “Tomorrow Is Yesterday,” it was visually made famous by The Voyage Home in 1986. And, just like in The Voyage Home, the crew is in a stolen ship that isn’t really “theirs”; the alternate timeline La Sirena, versus the stolen Klingon-Bird-of-Prey, nicknamed HMS Bounty.

Both stolen time travel ships have technical problems right away, which extends to the transporters. And, then the spotty transporters lead to the away teams getting separated from each other. Dramatically, this results in Rios materializing in mid-air — something Star Trek has teased can happen, but almost never does — and then falling to the pavement and getting seriously injured. In The Voyage Home, Chekov has a similar fall and ends up in a hospital, just like Rios.

I'm a bit confused with Picard. I thought the last series ended with them all trapped on a planet with no way home. Then the second series starts and its like a totally new scenario

I was a little surprised when the Borg Queen became such a glib negotiator. When she took control of the ship and accelerated to “loco” warp speed to enter the time fissure, she seemed more like she was casting a spell in cyberspeak.

“Move backward to go forward. Shatter to mend. The past is now.”​

I noted that this episode was appropriately directed by Lea Thompson, whose more than 100 acting gigs include Back to the Future. :LOL:
The intriguing bit is that they chose to show the travel through time-continuum or through a temporal barrier in a classical tube style.
Close-ups of the key characters with sparks reversing direction in the background were an effective as well as an economical means of depicting the journey.
However it was Raffi who voiced the "disappointment in leadership," even though as a captain and academy teacher, she should understood the situation clearly. Anger only leads to hatred and the subject was Picard's weakness with dealing with the Q.

When Raffi accused Picard of playing games with Q, I noticed that Picard hesitated before putting the blame on Q. That made me wonder if there might be an element of truth to the charge, that some part of Picard enjoys the challenges presented by Q.
I loved that Agnes shut Queen with her command, "Computer, dictate the file logged 'Sh*t-I-stole-from-the-Borg-Queen.

The Queen's trip through the emotional “rooms” of Agnes' mind was a little lame. Agnes escaping with the Queen's negotiation bargaining chips was an expected coup. Nice job, Doc!
What I don't get is that why Raffi's knocked out guy was carrying so much cash instead of plastic, like we do?

Cash has become more bothersome than plastic and checks for me, l but I would guess that the homeless don't carry a lot of credit cards. :giggle:

Reactions: ctg
When Raffi accused Picard of playing games with Q, I noticed that Picard hesitated before putting the blame on Q. That made me wonder if there might be an element of truth to the charge, that some part of Picard enjoys the challenges presented by Q.
I did assume that he was wondering if Q was real or not, because nobody else seems to be able to see him. The old man is kind of treading through the madness and he's trying to stay a sane, while still keeping the crew together.

Cash has become more bothersome than plastic and checks for me, l but I would guess that the homeless don't carry a lot of credit cards.
They could have a debit card. Our homeless still get benefits, sort of, even if they don't have an address. And a lot of people buy them stuff instead going to hole-on-the-wall to get cash. Although we also have to remember that this is alt reality even if it was filmed in the real place. Maybe in the ST universe, cash is a thing as it's still a big thing in the DS 9. And even in this series they had "coins on the table" at the first season.

I do like Time Travel stories, but in TV shows they are usually solved too easily and over too quick. I like that this is quite obviously going to fill the whole season and that they've already got into deep trouble.
solved the biggest problem on the way crew with Elenor looking like an alien
I saw that one coming and wondered how they would solve it. Spock wearing a beanie hat never seemed a great disguise. I didn't expect that they would kill him off though!
Picard's answer was to go to seek out the watcher. Who or what are they?
Last episode I thought it might be cool if the "Watcher" was Gary Seven. It would be great to have some continuity with 'Assignment: Earth' but I think that is less likely now.
The coordinates, 34.0488 N 118.2518 W. According to the DuckDuckGo It's an intersection at 5th and Hill St.
Wow! For looking that up. I wonder it they find a Black Cat and a Beta 5 Supercomputer hidden in an apartment there?

Google Street view from December 2021 shows Pershing Square Park and underground car garage, a downtown Metro station, and some boarded-up office blocks. It also shows some homeless people and dogs, one of those automatic toilets and a stand promoting some college. It's nothing special really. As if picked at random.

Cash has become more bothersome than plastic and checks for me, l but I would guess that the homeless don't carry a lot of credit cards.
To be fair, the guy steals cash, so he is likely to have stolen cash on his person. We don't do current affairs, but I really think this episode might already be out of date. Post Covid-19, no one I know carries much cash and my children carry none. Everyone uses debit cards and cards you can put cash on. Most shops still have signs saying cards are preferred. I've only paid cash to a cab driver and my barber. The other odd thing was Seven saying that it must be 2024 because there was no nuclear fallout. Given the current world situation, that's rather optimistic!
I did assume that he was wondering if Q was real or not, because nobody else seems to be able to see him.
It is possible Picard thinks he is imagining Q but they were in another reality, so he didn't dream that.

Like @REBerg I thought Picard was considering whether she was correct. Q seems to love messing with Picard's life in particular. He has visited Riker, Worf, and Sisko, but usually it is Picard he visits. He has also helped Picard. It isn't only for fun. Picard would have lost his heart in a fight at the Academy if Q hadn't changed time. The meeting with the Borg and Federation was always going to happen, but Q gave them a better chance at the Battle of Wolf 359 by allowing them to meet the Borg years earlier and to make ready. So, Q has been as useful as he was also annoying.

Wow! For looking that up. I wonder it they find a Black Cat and a Beta 5 Supercomputer hidden in an apartment there?

Google Street view from December 2021 shows Pershing Square Park and underground car garage, a downtown Metro station, and some boarded-up office blocks. It also shows some homeless people and dogs, one of those automatic toilets and a stand promoting some college. It's nothing special really. As if picked at random.
See they never make up. The coordinates they give up are always fictional and mean really nothing, which in my books is lazy writing.