The Last Kingdom: Season 5 (spoilers)

Judderman

The Iceman cometh
The final season, 5, is out on Netflix. A Netflix film is planned too.
I enjoyed it as usual, but overall it was not as strong as earlier seasons. At least the first six episodes were not quite there, but it really got entertaining after that. Always enjoy Utryd son of Utryd's exploits.
The appearance of the characters seemingly being almost unconnected to their change in age between the seasons can be quite funny at times (former Queen looks about 10 years older than her granddaughter, and dresses younger than in season 1), but otherwise it comes off as a realistic depiction as far as I can tell.
Not sure if Heston actor was changed, or he just lost weight.

The final season, 5, is out on Netflix. A Netflix film is planned too.
I enjoyed it as usual, but overall it was not as strong as earlier seasons. At least the first six episodes were not quite there, but it really got entertaining after that. Always enjoy Utryd son of Utryd's exploits.
The appearance of the characters seemingly being almost unconnected to their change in age between the seasons can be quite funny at times (former Queen looks about 10 years older than her granddaughter, and dresses younger than in season 1), but otherwise it comes off as a realistic depiction as far as I can tell.
Not sure if Heston actor was changed, or he just lost weight.

Yes, I quite enjoyed the first series and was inspired to name a new cat 'Ragnar son of Ragnar'. But, just as these things always do, its been steadily declining since then. I also noted that deceased Alfred's widow looks younger than her daughter. At least the character has lightened up a bit.

I don’t think it declined from season 1-4. I thought season 4 was superb. This has definitely been one of my favourite shows. I dare to say slightly above Vikings. Good stories, characters, action, drama and some humour. Season 5 still well worth watching.

I've watched the first three episodes now. I've read the books, and the TV show follows those quite closely, so I've found no decline in the story. Netflix seem to spend more money on it than was spent before they took over. There is quite a lot of not killing off main characters where you ask, "but how could they survive that?" Other than that, it's good.
The appearance of the characters seemingly being almost unconnected to their change in age between the seasons
former Queen looks about 10 years older than her granddaughter,
I tend to agree with you there. Obviously, they can't make the warriors into old men or else the fights would look rather silly, but Alfred's wife could have been aged more with make-up, because it is exactly as you describe. It wasn't a problem experienced when reading the books.

I've watched the first three episodes now. I've read the books, and the TV show follows those quite closely, so I've found no decline in the story. Netflix seem to spend more money on it than was spent before they took over. There is quite a lot of not killing off main characters where you ask, "but how could they survive that?" Other than that, it's good.

I tend to agree with you there. Obviously, they can't make the warriors into old men or else the fights would look rather silly, but Alfred's wife could have been aged more with make-up, because it is exactly as you describe. It wasn't a problem experienced when reading the books.
Just finished watching Season 5 on Netflix. No spoilers though :)

Finished it last week. I thought it was superb. Far superior to Vikings Valhalla. I think the actor playing King Edward is just as good as Dawson was as Alfred. There is no romance here about kingship and nobility. I like that they treat the audience as adults when going into the detail of the politics.

A Netflix film is planned too.
I wasn't aware of this (even though I did read your post before). The film is now available to watch on Netflix and called Seven Kings Must Die. So, I know what I'm watching tonight!

3/5 Star Review from The Guardian, though they seem to like it despite that score:

The movie was ok. I would give it a 2.5/5. This could have been and should have been done over 6 episodes. There was too much of a disconnect between the end of the last season and the movie. Too many characters just disappeared off screen(all the women), the action was too rushed, not enough development. Athelstan's character needed so much more time, the antagonists needed more on screen time and development.

I did find the ending emotional and well done.

The movie was ok. I would give it a 2.5/5. This could have been and should have been done over 6 episodes. There was too much of a disconnect between the end of the last season and the movie. Too many characters just disappeared off screen(all the women), the action was too rushed, not enough development. Athelstan's character needed so much more time, the antagonists needed more on screen time and development.

I did find the ending emotional and well done.
I agree. The best that I can say is that at least the Saga was given a proper ending.

It was disappointing when compared to the series. Very formulaic plot leading to a battle.