help, character description

writeshiek33

hi, i am trying to write 12 year old uber hacker, pretending to be normal kid. the thing is i am trying to show not tell. this a first to do this kind way.i want to physically describe like normal kid without telling he is young.lets forget about his mannerism for now will add those later.any suggestions ?

hi, i am trying to write 12 year old uber hacker, pretending to be normal kid. the thing is i am trying to show not tell. this a first to do this kind way.i want to physically describe like normal kid without telling he is young.lets forget about his mannerism for now will add those later.any suggestions ?
Step one: Try writing like a normal person

It depends how you are going to write your story in terms of POV. I would be inclined to show the character in ordinary kid places, but noticing things that show a deeper perception of things and a disinterested in the social happenings. Then maybe having the same kinds of insights while hacking.

I think I see what you want to do. You don't want to tell the reader that he is a twelve year old but more gradually build the impression? This might work really well if he is very intelligent (an 'uber hacker'). I suppose you could start by describing characteristics that would be true for a twelve year old but not exclusively. You could describe him as short in stature (true of most kids but also some adults). Clothes with logos? You could maybe give him some slightly immature attitudes (eg to the opposite sex). Maybe he thinks WWE wrestling is real? Or that Elon Musk isn't spouting bulls**t every time he opens his mouth. You know; stuff that kids might be open to, along with certain less mature adults.

Does this help?

I would probably limit the description and show the character's environment, how he adapts to it, and how is treated. Age can be revealed by simply having him go to school. Some taunts by other school kids could show if he is overweight, very skinny, wears glasses, has an unusual hair style or color. Just keep it to one or two attributes. Athleticism or lack of it could be revealed by having the character go to gym class and be either the first one or the last one chosen for a team. Simply put yourself inside the character and imagine what a day in the life might be like. This will highlight the key physical characteristics that the reader needs to know. For me personally, I tend to favor very minimal character descriptions and I find that when reading, I forget most of the descriptions given at the start.

Back