Raised by Wolves - 02:06 - The Tree

ctg

weaver of the unseen
s3JBeUJ.jpg

Season Final. Standard 50 minutes. IMDB score 9.0

I have to say, this is a very unique series, not just by the tale but by it going boldly against the TV norms. If I could roll back time and keep the knowledge, then I'd have advised at the pilot to look into the details and enjoy this strange tale as it's weirdly captivating.

There are no easy ways to explain anything that happens in it, because many of the aspect are either ultratech or so supremely alien that we have no way of really knowing what is what, until we've watched the whole production and even then, it can be puzzling.

The easiest way to accept the story is by applying the faith aspect and some hints from the biblical tales and you'll get a perspective. I don't know if it's a right one, but it seems so far to be the logical one.

gEPhFCV.jpg

I love the old school service models. They are delightfully innocent and so easy to shut by using a droid-be-gone. The curious thing is that Ai was in kind of control of them, but at the same time they've their own minds and just like the Aliens counterparts, they're excited to study alien artefacts.

Why is it so, when in our world, that task is given to an increasing group of scientists, historians and history buffs? The Archivist Droid could easily be anyone of them. He was so trusting for not asking why now, before Sue shut him down and proceeded to receive the seeds.

It felt a bit freakish to hear the whispers, ordering her to: "Plant the seed."

pekJbz0.jpg

A natural worshipper vs indoctrinated one. There is a big difference, when one has been brainwashed for their whole life, and the other came naturally to believe that Sol is real. An atheist turn to a real thing. There is no turning back, but since we have the advantage of being the fly-on-the-wall it's also easy to look this in the angle that one of them is real and the other is recently brainwashed, alien telepathic voice influenced human that didn't know any better.

It was just easier to believe that Sol is a god than an alien being.

Lucius said, "Sol's laws, they protect us from ourselves. Whatever you're in contact with, it's not protecting you Marcus. It's conning you."

The strangest thing is that Lucius found the intact mass datastorage marked with the tree symbol as if it was meant to be.

A5iacrJ.jpg

The number 8. Sue said, "The growth has really accelerated, which means baby's gonna be coming tomorrow." It's almost like the growth acceleration that the plants have when then go from humble seedling to full veg. In a way it's quite amazing, but for a human going through a labour, freakish and definitely unnatural. And as I said, alien.

I know that for a long time, we complained that the aliens didn't look aliens and the alien worlds certainly weren't alien enough. Kebler 22-b has proven to be everything else than natural to our mind. And that makes this series so fascinating, and also difficult to comprehend unless you devote time to watch it.

The biggest thing in the faith aspect and dispelling it, came from Mother after Marcus was thrown into the brig for not renouncing his god. She said, "Marcus is a bad influence on Campion, and definitely brought worst out on Holly. But it would serve to prove that there's no holy power protecting the lives of believers. Not even their prophet."

Campion tried his best to free Marcus but both Father and Mother saw through his manipulative actions. For a leader he is a very young and he doesn't really have a good role models. Yet, the androids are always there. Always willing to put him on the right road and fight against the alien influence. Then this happened...

x5qSUgz.jpg

All because of Campion. Father's garden shed project pointed her finger at the boy and started speaking in the ancient Mithriac, making the tale of fleeing Earth so much more intriguing, because it's associating more myths into it. What is mean it's harping back to the concept that the new BSG brought up and that was the human civilisation has longer roots than what you find on the text book pages.

It is the same message you can find in the Prometheus. Sol android looked supremely good in the golden skin. So much bling. It must be a good thing. Then Mother found out Father project. As soon as Campion said, "She's very old. So I named her GrandMother."

Oh man, the team must be reading the forum. Father's worst nightmare is becoming true, but strangely it was Mother who armed herself as soon as Campion had finished his sentence. Strangely Grandmother deactivated herself, when Mother found out that grannie had a "dark photon processor" in her, making Grandmother to truly be part of the android family.

What I thought afterwards was that maybe she didn't shut down Grannie but actually the old lady overwrite Mother's consciousness as she was so willing to have another look on the exodus and how things came to be.

qcCfIUJ.jpg

I don't know how Father is able to see from a glance that Grannie's code is "millions of years old," when he just grew it yesterday. Is there accurate time-stamps and patch notes somewhere in that picture? Maybe there is, but we are increasingly moving towards this phase, where we can virtually examine and study things without taking them apart.

Neither one of them could recognise Grandmothers function. So they decide to leave it in the idle state, hooked to the Ark. All while Sue and Paul went and tried to plant the seed. And for some weird reason did wind Number 7 to edge of rage.

Does the snake want the tree or not? Father couldn't let go of studying the data and marvelling the construct. Then Grandmother turned on the language package and started to speak in perfect English. Even claiming that she was Father's partner.

She also claimed that Mother was the weapon, as if she was somehow able to recognise the function, while our androids were dump ones. I have to admit that it is confusing and most certainly not an easy thing to grasp.

C0lBnQT.jpg

I have never seen such a brave and difficult thing as what Holly did by going to have a birth at shore of the acid ocean. She had nobody to help her and somehow the baby came out easily and she even had strength to fight the ocean creature, before it nicked the baby.

To be honest, Kebler 22b is freaking me out. It is a weird, scary place that sucks in you in and doesn't let go, all while strange things happen. But at the same time it is also an exodus story, a faith story and an alien story.

You cannot explain many of things, instead you have to take it as Sue did, when the seed melted into her and she became the tree. It is weird and unexplainable. A thing that God would do and we would read it in the pages of the Bible.

Paul couldn't grasp it, but Marcus knew as soon as he'd eaten the fruit.

Freaky-deaky gets even freaky-deakier.
I had feared that the laboring Tempest had staggered her way to the shore to drop the baby, whose face she did not want to see, into the acid waters. Just when it seemed that her maternal instincts had overcome her aversion to the child of Old Helmet Head, out of an underwater whirlwind tunnel pops a sea skitter, who makes a beeline for the newborn.
Was it looking for a tasty snack? No, it took the baby from Tempest's arms, tucked her/him into a handy, apparently acid-proof, chest cavity, and slithered back into the ocean.
This, to me, bore a strong resemblance to the GOT scene in which the White Walkers are presented with a newborn human baby. Do the sea skitters have reproductive issues?
I thought that this would be the height of this episode's weirdness -- until Sue was turned into a tree. Beyond that, neither Paul nor Marcus seemed to immediately question where Sue had gone.
That giant nut Marcus sampled looked a lot like a human brain. A tree-to-prophet communication method?

Reactions: ctg
This, to me, bore a strong resemblance to the GOT scene in which the White Walkers are presented with a newborn human baby. Do the sea skitters have reproductive issues?
Maybe, but I thought it might be some sort of prophesy as they heard the cries like the land skitters and they came to look. I kept thinking that they were going to show the acid worm, but no such luck. But I have to say it freaked me a great deal to see her getting at the shore and the sea was showing whiteheads.

That giant nut Marcus sampled looked a lot like a human brain. A tree-to-prophet communication method?
I'm not sure if it was a brain, but it certainly was fleshy.

The only way this series makes any sense to me is to invoke an alternate reality/universe theory.
I'm imagining that the Earth's human population originated as an ancient Mithraic colony. The conflict between believers and non-believers eventually escalated to the imminent destruction of the Earth, and the Mithraic opted to retreat to their home planet,
Meanwhile, back on Kepler-22b, conditions had also deteriorated (assuming things weren't all that bad when the Earth colony was established). Consequently, both sides are continuing the fight on a less-than-hospitable world loaded with trans-planetary tunnels, acid seas and hostile skitters.
The only remnants of a once-thriving Mithraic civilization are mysterious relics. The skitters may be a lifeform that evolved while the Mithraic were on Earth or even their own distant descendants.
Of course, in an alternate reality, anything goes. That includes giant flying snakes birthed by androids, people being turned into trees, and a possible deity broadcasting on a frequency only those with the right receivers can hear.

Reactions: ctg