Why are there so many errors in Kindle books?

From Stephen King to indies, there are always a small handful of typos. He instead of the, missing definite articles and the odd missing letter.

How is kindle generated?

I've used it. As I recall, there were certainly formatting issues. But I don't think it actually changed any words. I would assume those typos must have been present in the original document uploaded.

I've used it. As I recall, there were certainly formatting issues. But I don't think it actually changed any words. I would assume those typos must have been present in the original document uploaded.
That’s what I figured but it’s all books. I’ve noticed since I’ve had it and my software is up to date.

When I compare the errors to my hard copies of books they’re not there.

That’s what I figured but it’s all books. I’ve noticed since I’ve had it and my software is up to date.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but out-of-copyright books sometime receive atrocious treatment as idiots cash in on kindle. Maybe this is what you are seeing? See the following piece about this:

If these are books old enough to have been originally typewritten, they were probably digitised by printed copies being scanned by OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software. That can introduce horrendous errors. They were probably proofread afterwards, but maybe only once.

I agree with the OCR thought and have seen the OCR problem with many older books.

However I have a few that were produced by traditional publishers recently that have had more than a dozen obvious errors. I really think there is a bit of slacking in the industry these days.

I agree with the OCR thought and have seen the OCR problem with many older books.

However I have a few that were produced by traditional publishers recently that have had more than a dozen obvious errors. I really think there is a bit of slacking in the industry these days.
Some genres more than others. SFF is better in that regard than another genre I often read. And I will say that a dozen or so errors in new books that would have been caught a decade or two ago by more vigilant proofreaders is nothing compared to the uncorrected errors I have seen on practically every page of some of the scanned books I have read. I've even gotten sort of used to them, though that doesn't excuse the carelessness of those who publish them.

5D4B4868-A2EA-4DDD-A292-847ADBD2C98F.jpeg

To be fair, though, I think the lower cost, accessibility and compactness of books on Kindle more than make up for the odd misprint and error. Plus I genuinely wouldn't have the physical room to put the books I now have on a 6½" x 4½" device.

If these are books old enough to have been originally typewritten, they were probably digitised by printed copies being scanned by OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software. That can introduce horrendous errors. They were probably proofread afterwards, but maybe only once.
^^^^^
This.

Also most things don't get properly edited before uploaded to kindle.

Maybe they're crowdsourcing the proofreading. Some people have special software where they can highlight errors and send in corrections.