DISCUSSION THREAD -- MARCH 2022 -- 75 Word Writing Challenge

I have three favourites.

Cat's Cradle gets an exalted "oh so close" but ultimately it came down to a straight shootout between two very different stories. Victoria's tale of reincarnation, cleverly interwoven with a conundrum from a classic, or Luiglin for his light hearted and genuinely funny appearance of The Dark Lord, the timing of which was much welcomed.

A lot of great takes on reiverr33's prompts, well done all.

I had a hard time voting this month for two reasons... as always, there were many worthy stories. But also, several of my favorite entries... well, as broad of a definition as Speculative Fiction has, I just couldn't see how several stories that might have been vote contenders for me fit within the genre. To use a relevant part of one description I found online, as terrific as I thought these stories were, they did not seem to have elements that do not exist within the present universe. I think hitting the prompts matters, and so...

Anyway, I thought there were many-many interesting takes on the genre/theme pairing, so here are my lists:

Honorables:
Luiglin, johnnyjet, Mark_Harbinger, Peter V

Shortlist:
Iwroteathing, Christine Wheelwright, Dan Jones, BT Jones, farntfar, The Judge

Vote:
Daysman
I really enjoyed this poignant, well-written story. A lot of humanity - and detail - there, in 75 words.

I want to thank Dan Jones, Christine Wheelwright, Sule, johnnyjet, Victoria Silverwolf, MatthewKusza, BT Jones, Hugh, StilLearning, and Peter V for the listings. Big thanks to the folks who left nice comments about my entry (and thank you, @Peter V - I've never had an 'exalted' before, and accept it with pride:)). As always, I'm grateful for Victoria Silverwolf and Parson for putting so much time into their thoughtful reviews.

Finally, thanks so much nixie, BigJ, and Mark_Harbinger for your votes.

Well, it's a close race, good luck all the rest of the way, CC

I just couldn't see how several stories that might have been vote contenders for me fit within the genre. To use a relevant part of one description I found online, as terrific as I thought these stories were, they did not seem to have elements that do not exist within the present universe. I think hitting the prompts matters,

I was struck by this, also.

It happens sometimes. I didn't mean this as a negative comment, but hopefully as a helpful one. I used to miss the genre or the theme a lot in my early Challenge days. I was told this a couple of times by the friendly folks here, and hadn't really been aware I was missing out; it helped to know, and I pay more attention to hitting them nowadays (though I probably still miss one of the other from time to time :)).

Some interesting stories this month, though as ever some I didn't understand, and an unfortunately goodly number which for me didn't for me hit theme or, more often, genre.

My shortlist:

Bren G -- All Things End in Time -- time's march ends in a robot's form​
Cat's Cradle -- Double Time -- time marches forward, but time travel marches both ways​
DF17 -- The March of Progress -- marching to doom​
JS Wiig -- Beware the Hands that March -- remorseless, time marches on​
Luiglin -- Just put the right left foot ... -- marching ever out of step​
M Robert Gibson -- + From Mars Mission Control ... -- manifold multiplied marching madness​
CC and Bren G stole a march on the others, but I had some diffculty choosing between life-saving time travelling and life-saving robotic inventing as I loved the themes of both, but after some deliberation Bren just marched ahead.

Many mad marching birds-and-bees thanks for the lovely mentions/shortlistings Dan, Christine, sule, Iwroteathing, johnnyjet, Matthew, Chris p, BTJ, StilLearning, CC and farntfar, and millions of unboxed march daisy thanks for the stupendous vote, Luiglin!

I'm quite convinced that no-one has a solid appreciation of RAY GUNS or pitchforks other than my good self. It's a burden I carry lightly, says Bowler1 one with a tear in his eye, as I take Julius to my shooting range to let off steam.

It's a good scattering of votes this month, anyone could still win.

I've been away from the Chrons, so no time to write an entry, but my vote went to @M. Robert Gibson. It was a toss-up between this and another, both witty and clever. However, + From Mars Mission Control to Outpost Mu, Olympus Mons + Earth date 2222-03-18 met the genre better, in my opinion, for what that's worth.