Did the Book of Boba Fett flop?

ctg

weaver of the unseen
Since there has been a lot of talk about the Book of Boba Fett and I wanted to know what the general consensus is. So use your vote and note that you can change it, if you so choose.

The thread is yours

Related

Indeed, Disney has not yet commented on the status of a potential The Book of Boba Fett season 2. That could mean the show won’t return, with Boba and Fennec being folded back into other series, or it could mean the House of Mouse is holding a season 2 announcement for a later date.
Either way, the rest of the 2022 Star Wars Disney+ slate seems set at this point. Obi-Wan Kenobi will release on May 25, with Andor, The Bad Batch season 2, and The Mandalorian season 2 filling out the rest of the year. Ahsoka and The Acolyte are rumored to film this year, which means you can probably expect to see them on the streaming service in 2023. Could The Book of Boba Fett season 2 follow?

There’s also the question of where the show could go next if it were to return for a second season. With the conflict with the Pykes finished, Boba and Fennec would need new villains to take on. The most likely enemy faction? The Hutt Cartel. Now that the Pykes are gone, could the Hutt Twins return and take another stab at getting their palace back?

It’s also possible Boba and Fennec will want to expand their empire beyond Tatooine, taking the fight to Nal Hutta and Hutt Space, the center of the criminal underworld in the galaxy far, far away. Certainly, fans of the old Legends continuity have waited decades to see hives of scum and villainy like the Hutt moon of Nar Shaddaa and the Mid Rim smuggler hub Ord Mantell. Since The Book of Boba Fett has been billed as a series meant to take a deeper drive into the criminal element of the Star Wars universe, there’s a unique opportunity to show us the other lawless corners outside of New Republic jurisdiction.

I'm not a subscriber to Disney +, so i have yet to see any of it. While i did read a lot of mixed feelings, i felt that the general consensus was pretty positive. What did you think, CTG?

It wasn't the strongest show and if they meant to honour Mr Fett, they failed in it. There was not a moment that I'd recommend for it to receive an Emmy, except for special effects. In my mind there's only two logical choices, bury it, or try again, harder.

I don't think it flopped, on the contrary I think it raked in a ton of cash for Disney's platform. Critics say it sucks and I agree with them. But my entirely biased, personal observation after scouring a half dozen Star Wars forums is that there seems to be a 60-40 split amongst general SW fans in favor of the show, which isn't too bad considering the quality of the show, but isn't great compared to The Mandalorian. Amongst Boba Fett fans this seems to be a 80-20 split against the show for the way it handled their favorite character.

You can bet the show was immensely profitable however, and it will sell copious amounts of Lego sets and collectible figures.

As for a second season, I have to confess being a little torn. On the one hand, I do not want a continuation of this particular show. On the other, I still want to see potential in the character as long as he's written differently and if his personal arc is altered completely (which the end of the show seems to hint at).

Do I want The Book of Boba Fett 2? No, no and no.

Do I want to see Boba Fett again in another show and in a different context (as the Batman of the SW Universe)? Yes, as long as Rodriguez packs his things and stays as far away from it as he can without falling off the edge of the Earth.

ctg said:
In my mind there's only two logical choices, bury it, or try again, harder.

Summed up nicely.

Again, i haven't seen it but i have seen and enjoyed the first season of The Mandalorian. Disney seem to have better success telling original stories from a larger Star Wars universe. They shouldn't keep bringing up OT characters as it smacks of fan service, which is cheap at the best of times.

What's that showbiz expression? "Always leave them hungry for more".

They shouldn't keep bringing up OT characters as it smacks of fan service, which is cheap at the best of times.
I believe I said it in another thread, but I think the showrunners insert other characters out of genuine affection first, and to please the fans later, so it's not entirely cynical (although yes, it does sell toys). Filoni, Favreau and their mates actually love the characters Lucas created and they want to use them to develop them, to expand on their story, to add their own little brick to the wall of their legacy.

However I am in agreement with you that it ends up cheapening the story and the world it is set in. We are slowly heading towards a SW universe which is entirely set on a handful of planets and where the stakes are set and influenced by a handful of characters who all know each other and whose destinies constantly intersect. And don't get me started on the consistency issues that arise from all this.

When The Mandalorian was announced, they made it a point to state that the story would be set on backwater worlds, far from the influence of the Empire (or its remnants rather), the Rebellion/Republic and galaxywide stakes. That ended up being the truth for about half a season but since then Din Djarin's trajectory has consistently nudged him closer and closer to the issues at the very core of the Star Wars cinematic saga (Empire, Jedi...) and its major players (I won't mention who in order not to spoil anything to those who haven't seen The Mandalorian season 2 or The Book of Boba Fett)

Professional and experienced storytellers should know better than to give in to the whims of the 15-year-old fanboy that still lives inside them.

When I first read about this series, I read that it was only going to be these 7 episodes; no second series, and that the whole point of it was to bring the story of Boba Fett, up to speed as you will; up to the same point that we meet him in The Mandalorian season 2. So, it is The Mandalorian season 2.5, as someone here has suggested already; that is precisely what it is meant to be. I don't think it failed, because it succeeded in doing that. It actually took us a little further ahead of the Mandalorian' s story. I enjoyed watching it, but was it great? No. Could it have stood up on its own? No. Would anyone ask for a second season based on what we have seen? Hell, no! And I agree that the best episodes were those where Boba Fett played a minor part, or even didn't appear at all. So, why was it called The Book of Boba Fett and not The Mandalorian 2.5? As I already suggested, they thought they could bring in more fans, and get more subscribers to Disney by the use of the name. I expect that it also succeeded in doing that. I can see why you think it is a failed series, but the producers will be slapping themselves on their backs with a hearty "well done," and personally, I'm glad that it was made. I cannot see a second season being made. What would it be about? Boba Fett trying out a series of other occupations, maybe? Postal Delivery Man? Mineral Geologist and Mining Engineer? Munitions And Missile Maintenance Officer? Medical Orderly?

I cannot see a second season being made. What would it be about? Boba Fett trying out a series of other occupations, maybe? Postal Delivery Man? Mineral Geologist and Mining Engineer? Munitions And Missile Maintenance Officer? Medical Orderly?
Morrison wants it to be about getting revenge against Mace Windu. Samuel Jackson says that he got Lucas to agree that Windu was still alive but it sounded very much to me that he was just being humoured. However, Star Wars now has a tradition of characters falling to their deaths/being eaten only to turn up alive later. I'm looking forward to finding out how Darth Vader survived.

Samuel Jackson says that he got Lucas to agree that Windu was still alive but it sounded very much to me that he was just being humoured.
Definitely. Lucas can't say 'no' to Sam Jackson. The moment he agreed to let Mace Windu have a purple lightsaber when all the other Jedi should have either a green or blue one was caught on tape for a documentary, and it's painfully obvious - to my eyes at least - that Lucas' 'yes' is a reluctant one.

Let Windu be dead and gone. Even if he could have survived Palpatine's Force lightning, he'd definitely have gone back to the frontlines as soon as he was healed to fight the Empire. But I guess they could always say it took him 30+ years to recover.

I'm looking forward to finding out how Darth Vader survived.
Wait, were you joking? Or did you read that Disney's actually considering bringing him back? I wouldn't put it past them.

Dave said:
What would it be about? Boba Fett trying out a series of other occupations, maybe? (...) Mineral Geologist (...)?
I'd watch it.

Although after an afternoon (so 3 episodes as directed by Rodriguez) of gently poking rocks with his hammer, baking under the suns of Tatooine he'd probably go: "Ah, hold on. That ain't for me either. Guess I'll try my luck as a veterinary acupuncturist next. Now where did I park my Rancor?"

I thought Boba Fett's story had value for me as a casual Star Wars watcher (seen the movies a few times). I didn't remember much of his back story from the films. I would say the series fleshed out the races, economics and world building in general. Not being a fan of Westerns nor mob type genres, I may have missed some references that made the viewing more enjoyable. Probably because it was mostly about gang wars and power struggle, I much preferred The Mandalorian, with its focus on character development and relationships.

The Book of Boba Fett is much better when you realize Boba Fett is the villain

There’s an easy solution to [the show's] problems. And it comes from acknowledging the undercurrent running through the whole series: Boba Fett is actually the villain of The Book of Boba Fett, and the whole story is a wry comedy about how he accidentally fails upward through the ranks of more established, competent, and powerful villains. People watching the show have been complaining all along that he’s too undefined. But looked at in terms of his choices, he’s actually extremely clearly defined — as a selfish crook who’s oblivious to the harm he causes and how unsuited he is for the role he’s claiming.

Oh, well. I guess that's one way of looking at it.

The worst aspect for me was how
a show that featured Boba Fett riding a Rancour into battle could put me to sleep.

It seemed at first that they were going to trade on Temura's heritage and give us a story about the displacement of indigenous people and, for a while, it did until we had whacky dancing round the fire. Then it seemed like the film makers realised they had made a mistake in the Mandalorian by removing Grogu from the series - you can't base an entire series around Lone Wolf and Cub and then remove cub without robbing the series of its momentum - and then used BBF to course correct - taking the emphasis of the season away from its star.

The dialogue was ropey. It couldn't find a reason for it to exist other than some admittedly lovely concept art and $$$. The mods were kinda fitting in a prequel series way but also bloody awful.

In the last episode when Boba and Mando were standing around in matching rock-star-with-leg-on-monitor poses I couldn't help but laugh.

But overall, there wasn't much to be engaged by and I found myself not caring about anything happening or any of the characters or people.

Reactions: ctg
The mods were kinda fitting in a prequel series way but also bloody awful.
To be honest the only thing that bothered me about them was that they felt so out of place on Tatooine.

But when you think about it, cyborgs and cybernetic enhancements were always somewhat prevalent in the SW universe and even more so in the original movies than the prequels (Darth Vader is famously more machine than man, Luke Skywalker has a cybernetic hand, and Lobot, Lando Calrissian's aide, also had that weird cyborg headgear.

The modders wouldn't have bothered me at all had the series been set on Coruscant.

When I first read about this series, I read that it was only going to be these 7 episodes; no second series, and that the whole point of it was to bring the story of Boba Fett, up to speed as you will; up to the same point that we meet him in The Mandalorian season 2. So, it is The Mandalorian season 2.5, as someone here has suggested already; that is precisely what it is meant to be. I don't think it failed, because it succeeded in doing that. It actually took us a little further ahead of the Mandalorian' s story. I enjoyed watching it, but was it great? No. Could it have stood up on its own? No. Would anyone ask for a second season based on what we have seen? Hell, no! And I agree that the best episodes were those where Boba Fett played a minor part, or even didn't appear at all. So, why was it called The Book of Boba Fett and not The Mandalorian 2.5? As I already suggested, they thought they could bring in more fans, and get more subscribers to Disney by the use of the name. I expect that it also succeeded in doing that. I can see why you think it is a failed series, but the producers will be slapping themselves on their backs with a hearty "well done," and personally, I'm glad that it was made. I cannot see a second season being made. What would it be about? Boba Fett trying out a series of other occupations, maybe? Postal Delivery Man? Mineral Geologist and Mining Engineer? Munitions And Missile Maintenance Officer? Medical Orderly?
My older son (mid-twenties) said something like "Why are they even focusing on such a minor character as Boba Fett, anyway?" and I had to point out that, there, in the very beginning in the late 70s/early 80s, the most popular characters amongst those early fans (and I remember there being polls that confirmed this) were: 1. Darth Varder, and 2. Boba Fett. He was really surprised to hear that.

From that standpoint, the surprise for me was that this "Mandalorian" dude was going to be the MC in the Disney+ universe (at least for a while). For the record, both series were basically a "C+/B-" from my standpoint.

I'm glad that all the creators seem to understand that Luke is still a far more compelling character than all the rest—so they use him as needed (although, hopefully, never again as cynically as JJ Abrams did).

And, of course, Baby Yoda is genius.

Related and an opinion piece

Disney’s upcoming Obi-Wan Kenobi series will not only bring back Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen to their iconic roles but also unlock a new era of storytelling for these beloved Star Wars characters. From a certain point of view, the show will walk a similar path to The Book of Boba Fett, exploring the lost years of the Jedi Master before his fateful meeting with Luke Skywalker in A New Hope, just as Boba Fett used flashbacks to flesh out the bounty hunter’s untold story after Return of the Jedi.

But some might say Obi-Wan Kenobi is at a disadvantage compared to The Book of Boba Fett‘s relatively blank slate. Since the character’s overall story is already set in stone — we know where he’s going and where his journey must end — how high can the stakes really get in the new Disney+ series?

Of course, Rogue One faced a similar challenge in 2016. If we already know the Death Star plans will be successfully delivered to the Rebel base on Yavin IV, can Jyn Erso and Cassian Andor’s journey really surprise us? Well, it did when the film shockingly killed off its entire cast of colorful, all-new characters in the third act. But Obi-Wan Kenobi, which is set nine years before A New Hope, won’t be able to pull the same trick with its famous protagonist.

It's interesting because their piece is not the only one who has raised the issue with Disney kind of cocking up the story. If they'd have devoted more time to Boba than Mando there wouldn't be an issue and people wouldn't call this as Mando 2.5.

In the SW terms, the Book of Boba Fett is passable, but when you look at the devotion behind the iconic bounty hunter and yes, there are many others, ours is just the one. One that has got most worship over the years. However, I cannot stop thinking that Disney might also have a bigger picture, a phase or stage that you're going through, just like what they did with the Marvel's IPs.

Still, as a series carrying the name, it was abysmal to have the main character shunted to a side-line. And as a stand-alone series as Dave has presented numerous times it's not a great as a book, I have no idea what they accomplished. It was kind of short story, with not much to tell as so much time was devoted on the character flashbacks and fluff.

If I'd cut out the frilly bits there wouldn't be much of story to tell. Even as a space western it's still lacking a lot of stuff as spagetti westerns would've grammed in more and left less time for the day dreams.

However, Star Wars now has a tradition of characters falling to their deaths/being eaten only to turn up alive later.

I say this partly tongue in cheek, but these franchises (especially Marvel) are starting to remind me of professional wrestling. You have over-the-top goodies and baddies, each of which has a signature look and style, who are all parts of enormous continuing storylines. Every so often they get together and bash each other, but you know that nobody will ever leave for good, because they bring too much money into to the franchise.

Back