A request for (non-spoiler) background

Matteo

I've not read the books, or seen anything of the show - until last night when I saw the first episode on DVD.

I had the definite feeling that I was missing some background/scene setting info - i.e. who is who and where they are in this world.

This probably all comes together in the first few episodes, but maybe it would be better to get some idea of what's going on before I continue.

I'd prefer not to go hunting around the Net as I suspect it might be difficult to do this without encountering any spoilers* - and I've specifically avoided that in any press reports or interviews with cast members up to now (I only know that
dragons turn up later in the series
).

So, if there is any lovely Chroner that can give me, or point me to, a non-spoiler set up/background info that would be much appreciated.

*I can just imagine "The Smiths live in the north and are allies of the southern Jones (until Alice Smith is accused of killing Bob Jones in season two) and live in fear of the Suff Chronns people who live in the Forbidden Forest (until Matteo the Mage cures the Queen in season three)..." and so on.

Probably best to just watch it and let it unfold - that's how everyone else watched it. And the net is *filled* with spoilers.

Just make sure you're watching Season 1. :)

Probably best to just watch it and let it unfold - that's how everyone else watched it. And the net is *filled* with spoilers.

Just make sure you're watching Season 1. :)
Maybe you're right.

And I did wonder if I put the right disk in - I thought "am I supposed to know who he is?" once or twice :).

I suppose this is a (new??) style of tv series; throw a lot at the viewer then let them understand as it unfolds.

It takes a while to work out who's who. And then just as you think you've got it a load of new people turn up.
I spent a lot of time trying to sort it out, and that even with the handy guide that came with the boxed set.

It's worth persevering though.

Well I'm glad it's not just me!

And my set didn't come with a guide so I have some working out to do.

In 2015 I happened to watch an episode and dismissed it as “a bunch of goths playing D&D in the snow.”
Last year I got the season one boxset from a charity shop and watched it all.
I was right.

Wait...they sit around a table and roll multi-sided dice?

I just watched a bit of the first series, but I've read all the books so far published in the main series. The books start the same way as the TV series. You don't need background to start to read the books either, the story and lore unfolds from that prelude with the white walker.

The original novels have masses of characters, bursting with lore and it's a big, big story, and I think the TV series probably takes a few shortcuts because they rely a bit on those that have read the books or other sources beforehand. However, I remember thinking that the first series is pretty good at following, more-or-less, the first book. I forget which series goes beyond where the books are at currently.

Personally, I couldn't get into the TV series and would recommend you get into the novels first, but then I'm a bibliophile and have yet to meet a movie or TV adaption that beats the source material. ;) :)

Oh, I'm definitely a novel over tv series/film man myself. But the novels are stilll not finished, and "everyone" raved about the tv series and it was such a good deal I decided to grab it.

I'll most likely pick up the books (even if the tv series turns out to be mediocre) once he's finished them.

once he's finished them.
Possibly many years from now :LOL:...

...or maybe not at all :(

We're possibly looking at a "Robert Jordan sort of thing".

I do hope he finishes the books, because then he can diverge and change from how they ended it in the final series of the TV program!

Well, that was, on the whole, quite good.

We finished the entire eight seasons a couple of weeks back and enjoyed watching them - one or two episodes at a time, several times a week. Interesting that major characters got killed off, and that they didn't pull punches with certain scenes.

Thought the ending was a little rushed (and Danaeris (sp?) going mad somewhat unbelievable) but liked Drogon slagging the iron throne - lovely scene.

Wife was a bit disappointed at the lack of male flesh on show - especially "Aquaman" :rolleyes:.

Favourite characters were Tyrion and Arya.

Not sure it deserved quite the fevered excitment it generated, but enjoyed it.