Doug Trumbull

Mon0Zer0

Supporter
Along with Syd Mead, he brought us the future, first with 2001, then The Andromeda Strain, Silent Running, Star Trek TMP, Close Encounters, Bladerunner and Brainstorm.

R.2162fb86c8899e1351c7868c61ce7697

Silent Running was the first Trumbull film I saw and , I was awe of that film, and of and everything else he ever did . His impact on film and special effects development was gigantic . Douglass Trumbull was one of Cinemas greatest wizards . RIP :(

Last edited:
I remember the first time i saw Silent Running. It was on a Channel 4 Science Fiction season and the movie started just after school finished. I watched it and i cried at the end. (in my defense, i was about ten years old) :)

Great film and still one of my favourites.

I remember the first time i saw Silent Running. It was on a Channel 4 Science Fiction season and the movie started just after school finished. I watched it and i cried at the end. (in my defense, i was about ten years old) :)

Great film and still one of my favourites.
I cried when I first saw it. And I was a lot older than ten!
Doug made his worlds/models real to me.

Yes, it was Silent Running for me too. A great talent. RIP, Doug.

Yes, it was Silent Running for me too. A great talent. RIP, Doug.

In Silent Running Douglass Trumbell did an amazing job bringing all the elements together and having it all work as well is it did . When I first saw Huey, Dewy and Louie on the surface of the Valley Forge doing repairs, I could easily believe they were authentic robots , and the model work on the ships, was all the more remarkable because you could look at them and then, when the scenes switches to inside of the Valley Forge and you see the control room , the huge habitat domes from the inside, the main bay . the living quarters of the crew, the galley , you could accept the reality of the Valley Forge and her sister ships . The film also had a very serious and well conceived story to go with everything else . This is a great science fiction film , one the best of all time, and very much a classic .

Last edited: