The Book of Boba Fett - Chapter 6 - From the Desert Comes a Stranger

Although all of these Disney spinoffs do not stand up well to close scrutiny, I am finding them immensely entertaining.
I'm looking forward to binging them as one, superlong feature film.

Of all the people I did not expect to see, Cad Bane would have been high on that list. And can he really be the man running things for the Pykes? I have watched little of the back story, just one of the animated series, but at least there Cad Bane was always in someone's employ (or so I remember it.) I could easily see him as a Pyke enforcer.

All in all, I enjoyed the chapter 6 a lot. I'm expecting Chapter 7 to deal with the war between Boba Fett and the Pykes. The idea floated here of him losing and going in another direction is appealing to me. We'll have to see.

273014281_10160127832301255_1612408649459222806_n.jpg

I'll grab my coat.

Urgh.

Jon Favreau said:
"Something people didn't realize is that his voice isn't real. His voice, the young Luke Skywalker voice, is completely synthesized using an application called Respeecher."

Nah, Jon, we all noticed something was up. The inflections were always the same no matter what he said. But I thought this was an artefact of some digital de-ageing process, not that it was 100% synthesized. This is problematic. I don't like the idea that actors will now be required to sign off their appearance to a studio forever, opening the door for that studio to release hours upon hours of new material featuring that actor without even having the decency of hiring them to record lines...

I don't like the idea that actors will now be required to sign off their appearance to a studio forever, opening the door for that studio to release hours upon hours of new material featuring that actor without even having the decency of hiring them to record lines...
I've searched and I can't locate it, however I remember talking about this very idea in a thread here on this forum about 10 years ago, when it was still a semi-science fiction concept. Now it is a real prospect and we've already had a young Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill appear. I think that way back then, we were thinking that they would make new Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, James Dean and Marlon Brando films, or that films could be still finished off when the leading actor had died on set. I can't remember now but don't think the prospect of actual living actors being handed redundancy notices, or that actors strikes could be broken was ever considered. You could now actually see a day when everything was fully automated and computer generated, without any actors or sets necessary. Is that when we are actually living in The Matrix? At least Scriptwriters/Programmers will still have a job. Or would they?

I've searched and I can't locate it, however I remember talking about this very idea in a thread here on this forum about 10 years ago, when it was still a semi-science fiction concept. Now it is a real prospect and we've already had a young Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill appear. I think that way back then, we were thinking that they would make new Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, James Dean and Marlon Brando films, or that films could be still finished off when the leading actor had died on set. I can't remember now but don't think the prospect of actual living actors being handed redundancy notices, or that actors strikes could be broken was ever considered. You could now actually see a day when everything was fully automated and computer generated, without any actors or sets necessary. Is that when we are actually living in The Matrix? At least Scriptwriters/Programmers will still have a job. Or would they?

It's only a problem if actor's contracts now stipulate that the studio owns their appearance in the film they featured in and can recreate and reuse it at will in other productions. Long-dead actors probably never signed anything of the sort and I don't think Marlon Brando's descendants would allow his image to be used in that way, unless they needed cash of course... Actors guilds should do something about it now, while the technology has not yet been perfected (but is getting awfully close to perfection).

I'm also thinking about female actors, who regularly complain that there are no interesting parts for women once they've reached a certain age. This problem would be compounded by the introduction of such clauses in their contracts. "Ah, no Meryl, we don't like those crow's feet so we won't be needing your services, but it's okay we'll just use that scan of your face aged 27 for the part. We own it so..."

A few years down the line actors would just become 3D pictures in a catalog... No performance necessary.

An interesting point that's been made on social media is how the N-1 is much more streamlined than the more practical Razor Crest, and that it doesn't include any bathroom facilities. And if it is the planet Tython, according to Legends (the new word for the old canon) it's 8,000 light-years away and the N-1 only has a 1,000 light-year range before needing to be refueled, presumably. So, that's a lot of coaxium station stops and beef jerky snacks.

I'd love to see them stopping on gas stations and Mando getting into a fight over some jerk trying to rob the cash register. It's a classical trope but it would give people more sense about the distances rather applying the Birmingham analogue to the SW universe, where everything is around the corner.

And finally, will we get a second season of "The Book of Boba Fett" or will this remain a standalone, limited series as we were told was the original idea? Temuera Morrison has said that he wants to hunt down Mace Windu in a potential second season, "I owe him big time for [Jango Fett]... He's top of the list."

Stellan Skarsgård has revealed that "Andor" was getting a second season, so perhaps "The Book of Boba Fett" will too. "Star Wars" needs to expand beyond Tatooine and show off its full universe and hopefully some of the new live-action spin-off shows will do that.
Yea

Hmm. It seems that the writers have abandoned the idea of this show being basically about Boba Fett, and have decided to use it to fill in gaps between seasons 2 and 3 of The Mandalorian. Once again, I get the feeling that the Star Wars setting involves about 5 planets and 20 people, as they all keep meeting each other at the same places.

There's a slight feel of "if it works once, let's do it a hundred times more" in these shows. People like Grogu and Jedi stuff, so here's loads of Grogu doing Jedi stuff (I don't find any of the Jedi stuff very interesting or convincing, personally). They like the small nods to Westerns, so here's an alien dressed like a cowboy having a quickdrawn shootout that's shot exactly like a spaghetti Western. It's all feeling a bit obvious.

The Pykes don't feel like particularly interesting or threatening villains, and they ought to have been starting a campaign of terror two episodes ago. Fett himself seems completely sidelined. Again, the "criminal mastermind" stuff feels completely unconvincing. It's not badly made, it's just gone off on long, strange tangents and isn't telling a very good story.

Back