DISCUSSION THREAD -- FEBRUARY 2022 -- 75 Word Writing Challenge

The entry that worried me most was Phyrebrat, it was highly effective in my view. However, Parson gets my vote for a nice twist on religion, an entry and irony not lost on me coming from Parson. Good job by both, but sadly I only have one vote.

I loved the theme this month but I ended up struggling for a good idea - funny how these things work out.

Last edited:
As I read through the entries, my list of possibles was growing and I think I was up to five when I reached reiver33's entry. It does make life easier when you come across a clear personal favourite :giggle:

Lots of very good stories this month. Here are my lists:

Honorables:
Christine Wheelwright, Guttersnipe, Bren G, paranoid marvin, Parson

Shortlist:
Victoria Silverwolf, Aknot, johnnyjet, Outtalnc, mosaix, Hugh, Phyrebrat, TJ

Vote:
reiver33

reiver33's story was firing on all cylinders for me - nice imagery, terrific writing, good reveal. It all worked for me, well done. Looks like another Challenge is coming down to the wire - good luck, all!

Many thanks to Hugh, johnnyjet, farntfar, Astro Pen and Phyrebrat for the listings, and thanks so much paranoid marvin for the listing and the nice words on my story. :)

Well this was fun!

First, special thanks to @Christine Wheelwright for pointing me toward the writing challenges when I first introduced myself. I'd never written micro fiction before, so this was definitely a learning experience.

Second, thanks to @Astro Pen @Victoria Silverwolf @Phyrebrat and @Cat's Cradle for the kind mentions. I was worried nobody would "get" mine. You made my day.

Finally, it was a real treat to read so many diverse takes on the Fake theme: @Guttersnipe @redzwritez @JS Wiig and @Christine Wheelwright made me LOL.

@Cat's Cradle @DF17 @Phyrebrat @MatthewKusza - your stories really stayed with me long after I read them.

@The Judge I read yours and thought "That's the Grimm reboot I should have written!" Also your title was the best one in my opinion.

And in the end @reiver33 got my vote for all around excellence. Congrats all!

Greatly enjoyed entering, reading and voting for this contest! I'm new around here. Thank you to @Parson for welcoming me.

@Guttersnipe and @mosaix your stories made me laugh. Thank you!
@Astro Pen and @reiver33 your stories sent a chill down my back. Scary!
@Bren G your story had me crossing my fingers your character escapes the mines tomorrow!

@Cat's Cradle you won my vote! I kept coming back to your story. Very intriguing. Who is this woman? What's her angle? What's the source of her abilities? Great job!

Thank you to all for reading my story and the kind mentions.

Matt (MatthewKusza)

First off, congratulations to @Peter V for a prompt that brought out incredible, and really different work. My "short" list is below, although my long list went REALLY long this round

@Starbeast a clever and easy to follow twist
Thank you for the mention @WSDuffy and nice to meet you.
Special Mention
Starbeast (for monster noire. Make it a genre!)
Thanks for the mention. If I win, I'll be sure to make it Monster Noir.

Congrats to @reiver33 on a well deserved victory.

Thanks to @mosaix for the stealth vote and for keeping me from pulling an oh-fer this month. My story was just a little riff on the brain in a vat thought experiment, which is a modern version of Rene Descartes evil demon thought experiment from the 1600s, Descartes being a French philosopher/mathematician known for the phrase cogito, ergo sum - I think, therefore I am.

Back