Short Story SF recommendations? (new member)

comradeogilvy

First I'd like to say hello to everyone. I'm new and this is my first post. I generally read non-fiction, but when I read fiction it is almost always science fiction. I much prefer SF to fantasy...I'll take a ray-gun over a sword any day :)

Anyway all that said, I haven't read anything much in a good long while. I was really wanting to get recommendations of some SF short stories that involve exploring new worlds...maybe a lone guy stuck on a planet or moon, having to survive...I don't know.

Thanks ahead of time.

All the Way Back by Michael Shaara
Lord of a Thousand Suns by Poul Anderson
The Vaults of Yoh-Vombus by Clark Ashton Smith
The Crime The Glory of Commander Suzdal by Cordwainer Smith
The Bad Machines by Fred Saberhagen
A Relic of War by Keith Laumer
The Starry Rift by James Tiptree Jr (Short story Collection)
The Best of R. A. Lafferty edited by Johnathan Strahan

Last edited:
My favourite short stories are the Philip K. Dick ones. There are 5 volumes and it's well worth checking them out.

One of my favourites is Diamond Dogs by Alistair Reynolds. It's set withing his Revelation Space universe, but i don't think you'd need to read them to get the story.

What about some Ray Bradbury short stories?

Hi and welcome to the Chrons. Here are some planet explorer/survival stories (or things with a similar spirit) that occurred to me, although the problem with coming up with these is all the stories that will inevitably occur to me later that I won't be able to believe I didn't think of immediately. :)

Poul Anderson - "Call Me Joe"
Isaac Asimov - "The Martian Way"
Arthur C. Clarke - "Summertime on Icarus"
Hal Clement - "Dust Rag" and "Uncommon Sense"
Carol Emshwiller - "Pelt"
Geoffrey A. Landis - "A Walk in the Sun" and "Approaching Perimelasma"
Murray Leinster - "Exploration Team"
Katherine MacLean - "Unhuman Sacrifice"
George R. R. Martin - "A Song for Lya"
Clifford D. Simak - "The Big Front Yard"
A. E. van Vogt - "Enchanted Village" and the stories which make up Voyage of the Space Beagle.
Stanley G. Weinbaum - "Parasite Planet"

The John Grimes Space Saga by A Bertram Chandler . Short stories and quite good
The Golden Helix by Theodore Sturgeon
Sam Gunn Unlimited by Ben Bova

Last edited:
Honeymoon in Hell by Frederic Brown Anthology
Before the Golden Age Anthology edited by Isaac Asimov

Good place to start:
138411D8-FEAB-4F12-AAE4-7B0A5A7D665D.gif

521E1A8A-BC2B-40FC-B37B-469113EB5479.jpeg

Last edited:
One first poster to another...
The Mammoth Book of Best New SF, available in physical form and on Kindle, is a series of collections, published annually, of what in my opinion are really quality stories. I don't like them all, but even the ones I don't really like are of undeniable quality.
If you are after good quality stuff in general, you can do much worse than to scour the Hugo and Nebula award candidate and winner lists for each year.