The Book of Boba Fett - Chapter 4 - The Gathering Storm

ctg

weaver of the unseen
M0JKgXz.jpg

Boba Fett Partners with Fennec Shand
Run time is 49 minutes and the IMDB score is above 8. We have hope for a good one.

Ooooh, I get it now... This is a comedy show! Okay, congrats are in order Disney and co. For episodes was all it took you to turn Boba Fett into a genuinely goofy comedic character.

First of all, a small confession, I do not consider concept art being a spoiler. I personally check the concept art first before I watch episode and even if some scenes are revealing, they don't reveal enough and in my mind, I imagine different things than what we'll see in the episodes. I've always been like that, even in the art exhibits. And in my mind when I see Mr Fett standing next to Slave-1 (don't hate me for using the original name) I always conjure him chasing bounties across the galaxy.

It's how it was and should be, even if his future is in the empire business.

Thing is, I would love to see Boba rising up there to be with Mr White and DD's Kingpin and I know that it's a tough challenge as the Star Wars isn't organised in that way, but is there any other way to take Mr Fett's idea on ruling the land and its various enterprises?

I don't know but let's see how he handles the war with the Pykes.

5g118uC.jpg

I loved watching Boba riding "the old girl" across the desert, searching for opportunities. Someone asked, "aren't there more tribes?" The simple answer is yes, Tatooine is a huge planet and the Sand People hid from the offworlders, before they arrived. It's just sad that Mr Fett lost his one and during his search for another he found Ms Fennec as we knew from the Mandalorian.

It is more intriguing to find out that the cybernetics are wildly used among the human population and you can find a fully equipped and functioning clinics in the desert. Personally I cannot call them street docs, even though my mind is immediately drawn to the original cyberpunk titles. But that's the thing, because we know from the original trilogy that the cybernetics were a thing, but it was never fully shown in any of the movies.

Forget about Anakin in Vader costume as to me he's a cyberzombie, but the cybernetic hand Luke has should have been more than a hint. It's just it was never established that implants among were the thing, when we always saw pure skin among the humans.

p3w8QuE.jpg

"This woman needs a modification," Boba said.

The chop doc glanced at him, "No walk-ins, appointments only!" :LOL:

After the job were finished, Mr Fett asked: "Aren't you going to close her up?"

The doc looked at him cheaply again, "And cover up that beautiful machinery?"

Well, the thing is in the eye of the beholder, but in the practical sense Fennec has been smart for covering the whole area, because from the engineering perspective, exposed cybernetics ask for grime and dirt to get in to hamper the machine. On tactical perspective, it is an aim point for taking her down.

It's just... when you think about what they're showing, Maul and Vader had no choice and same goes to Luke, where as the cyberbangers are replacing things willingly as if they're true CP fanboys. Fennec also had no choice. And that in my mind is a culture clash that looks abnormal in the Star Wars universe, even though it shouldn't.

What's more intriguing is the conversation after the mod had finished resurrecting Fennec from near death. Boba claimed that he had no choice and he wasn't after the bounty on Shand's head. In fact, he claimed that the money weren't any more importance in his life. He wanted Fennec to help him to recover his "Firespray gunship," which is a nice touch for avoiding voicing the name. At least now we have a cheesy name for the class and it's place in Jabba's palace.

"If the ship is your why not ask it back?"

"Because I might not like the answer..." :giggle:

Oh Boba, you have always been a man with few words, but the sarcasm is a delightful touch. It makes him appear simple, but it's the actions that he does afterwards that makes him so complex.

"If I help you," Fennec smiled, "My debt is paid." - so be it!

After the scouting Boba revealed that he's "tired working for the idiots," which is a reasonable wisdom for the man in his age. Luke's capture after the delivery of Han Solo should have been a highlight of his career, but in true honesty it was the turning point and it only made his ambitions bigger.

0J0OwVQ.jpg

That scouting bot is amazing. Not only it's anonymous, meaning it carries propulsion, scanners, AI and energy storage in a shell size of an egg, it can also holoproject its finding as we have seen drones doing it in Darpa's SubTerrain challenge. The idea for that challenge came from the Prometheus scanners and in BoBF we see the ultra technology working as intended.

Super nice detail. Boba claimed that there were too many guards, but between him and Fennec, they are a powerhouse. Tactically and strategially they are far beyond anything that Bib Fortuna's people can muster. After taking down the awesome chefbot, there was no real challenge. Not really. All the guards could do was to give a nice fight for Fennec. Something that she probably enjoyd. a great deal. By the time they were flying I counted at least thirty corpses on the floor. And that was mostly done by Ms Fennec.

More importantly we got the reason why Shand is with Boba. She's along for the ride, "as being dead has a few advantages," as Mr Fett claimed. It is not the money. It is the job. The Hand of Boba Fett's Empire business.

TZnei8T.jpg

I loved the bikers. Boba did not give them any quarter as he slaughtered them ruthlessly, with no mercy in any of his action. But that's not the thing, they should be more popular throughout the SW galaxy. When I watched them they were all in that free rider spirit that is so popular throughout the SW universe. Nobody was giving a s*** about anything they were doing as long they could feel the wind on their face.

28fqcm7.jpg

The Sarlecc Pit. Man I got chillies, more so when Boba confirmed that his armour is beskar. It is not just an imitation, but unlike Mando he doesn't want to show it to everyone. The man knows what is the best and nothing else will do for him!

Thing is I didn't expected it to be alive. It scared me when the mouth launched out from the depths of the old shell and made me to shout, "Shoot it," out loud. So well done and well done for Fennec dropping a seismic charge in the young ones mouth.

Sarlecc's are freaking beasts for being able to capture whole starships. Even after the death they are dangerous, like the original aliens as their acid keeps burning. And that is the reason why Boba needs regular bacta tank visits.

hUzdjMj.jpg

The best barfight in the SW history, so far. I loved every second of it. Rewinded it twice before writing anything. It is very one sided, and I absolutely loved that Black Krrsantan didn't give a toss if it cost him a little extra on top of the regular tap.

"I remember the years in the pit. I've never seen a more impressive display of martial prowess, and you were a legend. And the name Krrsantan drew crowds by the thousands. Your knuckle dusters are more feared than blasters. You've met every challenge. You've won every trophy. Is it not beneath you to dismember this unfortunate Trandoshan?"

That is the absolutely best hostage negotiator line I've seen in the small screen and the whole scene were delivered perfectly. I laughed out so much. It's just when the wookie has made their mind, it's set. No second thoughts.

"It was worth a shot." :LOL: Absolutely love Boba's sarcasm.

XqmNteV.jpg

"I think he's a little hungry. No need to be scared. Please sit." Man, I absolutely love these negotiation tactics, especially for having a dinner and a talk over the pit.

"I propose an alliance between all families until the Pyke Syndicate is vanished!"

Well done Mr Fett. Bravo. We are in the empire business.

Patience or get so off your face that you'll forget rest of the week. Then it's only two days. One day for hangover, one day for normal business then it's Wednesday, again. Voila.

Last edited:
I'm liking this series even more than The Mandalorian.

That scouting bot is amazing. Not only it's anonymous, meaning it carries propulsion, scanners, AI and energy storage in a shell size of an egg, it can also holoproject its finding as we have seen drones doing it in Darpa's SubTerrain challenge. The idea for that challenge came from the Prometheus scanners and in BoBF we see the ultra technology working as intended.
I wondered about the three red lights on what was supposed to be a stealthy reconnaissance device -- cameras? They reminded me of those blinking lights and beeps which seem to come with explosive charges being planted by a special ops team.
I loved the bikers. Boba did not give them any quarter as he slaughtered them ruthlessly, with no mercy in any of his action.
His revenge strafing got a nod of respect from Fennec. She may have been convinced that his time with the Tuskens hadn't made him quite as soft as she thought.

His revenge strafing got a nod of respect from Fennec. She may have been convinced that his time with the Tuskens hadn't made him quite as soft as she thought.

That’s where this series can do things the films can’t; a virtuous Jedi can’t be shown taking revenge on the skugholes - not only did I love that scene but I loved the look of contempt on Boba Fett’s face.

I had to make a meme I was so happy with this episode. Which I’m watching again now :)

D77AA15E-1C58-4E2E-9C7A-D64D49BE05FB.jpeg

Pleased to see praise lavished on the series as it progresses. Boba Fett’s ship will always be Slave 1 to me and the idea of Disney trying to cancel it seems petty.

It’s a personal call. But it can be offensive to certain people and we can’t really make a judgement on how oppressed peoples feel. Especially with the history we have in the US and U.K.

My take on it is along with Boba’s change of character, and new ethos, it’s highly unlikely he’d be comfortable keeping the name. I’ll call it Slave 1, firespray, Fett’s ship etc etc.

We should remember that essentially we can refer to things the way we want, personally. For example I don’t call an X-Wing a T70 or T65, or a snub fighter. Nor do I refer to lightsabers as laser swords etc.

It’s a long walk back to Eden so it’s best not to sweat the small stuff ;)

I wondered about the three red lights on what was supposed to be a stealthy reconnaissance device -- cameras? They reminded me of those blinking lights and beeps which seem to come with explosive charges being planted by a special ops team.
Sure it reminds me of many things. Mainly of that massive imperial spy droid that has been menace in so many games even though its size of a barn door. But what I meant with anonymous, was autonomous. Fennec didn't guide it, it found its own way inside and back to its master.

The three blinking lights could just be it, lights, but yeah, who know maybe it also has some sort of offensive capability since it belongs to a master assassin. If it feeds tracking information to Fennec's visor it's an uber device.

Okay, a few questions:
- First of all, the timeline. It felt like Boba only spent a fortnight or so amongst the Tusken Raiders, but now he states that it's been years between the time he was gobbled up by the Sarlaac and his encounter with Fennec (which makes sense, since The Mandalorian is set in 9 ABY and Return of the Jedi in 4 ABY), so he spent, what, five years with the Tuskens? Or did he spend five years in the Sarlaac?
- Boba came out of the Sarlaac wearing his armor. Then he woke up on the sand without it. Why does he assume the Sarlaac somehow strip him of his armor and swallowed it again?
- Why does Boba need to spend so much time in bacta at all if he did without it for five years? Clearly, it's not pain related. Clearly he doesn't need the bacta to survive. So what? He doesn't like the scars? He can't stand the sight of his wrinkled skin in a mirror?
- Boba spends two hours (?) inside the Sarlaac covered in indestructible beskar and crawls out weakened, barely conscious and covered in burns. Years later he re-enters the Sarlaac in a bathrobe and climbs back out covered in acid slime and yet unscathed. Anyone care to explain how this acid works? Does it just cook armor?
- It took four episodes for Boba to explain why he so desperately wants to become a crime lord (good job, screenwriters!) but I still don't understand. Why oh why does he want to take Jabba's place? If he wanted to retire, if his stay amongst the Tuskens convinced him to give up on crime for five years, how did their deaths suddenly change that? Is it a matter of "Criminals killed my friends so I'll become a crime lord to avenge them"? And if he just wants to become a crime lord because he figured it's time for him to become the boss rather than one of the underlings, why do it on this god-forsaken planet and over a criminal empire in tatters? Why not fly to Coruscant and take on the biggest drug cartel there? I just don't understand his motivation.
- Why does Boba talk so much? Why does he always look so confused? Why does he always need Fennec to explain to him how the criminal underworld works? He's Boba Fett, the most fearsome bounty hunter in Star Wars lore, the one even the Empire relied on. He spent his entire life amongst criminals. Where is the quiet, ruthless, reliable fighter that stood toe to toe with Darth Vader?
- Disney needed Boba Fett to be a more compassionate, kind, animal-loving character because they're Disney and they can't have ruthless killers driving ships called "Slave 1" starring in their own TV shows, and to be honest, I can get behind that. But then... why have a compassionate and kind animal lover seek to become a crime lord? It just doesn't make sense to me, and all it results in is him looking like a half-assed, gutless crime lord with no self-respect. If you want him to become a hero, have him become a police officer or a bantha herder, I don't know...
- Fennec is the only character acting like the Boba Fett from the original trilogy. She's the one coming up with the plans instead of running her mouth. She's the one with the cool gadgets. She's the one kicking butts while Boba wipes the floor or chases silly dog droids in Jabba's kitchen - even though he could have taken its back in under one second. Was Boba Fett actually Benny Hill in armor all along? I hope Boba dies and Fennec inherits the armor in the last episode.

Last edited:
Reactions: ctg
I don't have nearly as many questions as @The Crawling Chaos but I do wonder if we are now done with the dual story. Or are we perhaps going to see in more detail how Boba Fett actually becomes the "crime lord." We just see him taking the throne. It must have been some sort of subterfuge that put him there. Because it didn't look like the smoldering remains of an all out fight.

Can't wait for Disney's new spinoff series starring the Sarlaac. There's a whole lot of people in the galaxy to eat.

I'm starting to sense a pattern with the show in that some bits are a bit radical and "out there", and sometimes it fails to make sense, but other times it's intriguing and building to a more interesting wider story. All in all a good show but with many weak points.

If Boba is no longer bounty hunting then it doesn't hurt to rename his ship - fits the character arc despite the Disney politics behind it. It's such a beautiful ship, and the episode made it as imposing as ever.

Hoping the dual timelines are over. Was interesting with the Tuskens but would be great to move on from that now.

Well, there are certain Mando related stuff that can still come in the A and B storylines. In the present time I am expecting at least one of the clans showing interest for the offering that Mando has for the wardogs. Some of them are mercs. And what Crawling Chaos writes is valid, I cannot argue, but some of it I would put it down on his perspective.

I could try to defend the series, but what is the point, Disney needs to learn about what we write. It's same thing that AMC does with TWD series. We put down valid critique and unique perspectives. From Dave's and Jon's PoV all that we write should be interesting because it gives the series longevity and I for one want to see another season of Boba. Especially if he's going to be sarcastic.

In the original movies it's something close to three lines that he puts out. He is very stoic (and introvert) in today and I'm stoic (and introvert) in nature, so I recognise him on small screen. What Disney has put out has given much richer look to this fabulous and somewhat dark character.

Okay, a few questions:
- First of all, the timeline. It felt like Boba only spent a fortnight or so amongst the Tusken Raiders, but now he states that it's been years between the time he was gobbled up by the Sarlaac and his encounter with Fennec (which makes sense, since The Mandalorian is set in 9 ABY and Return of the Jedi in 4 ABY), so he spent, what, five years with the Tuskens? Or did he spend five years in the Sarlaac?

Tbh, I don't think the show runners put a tremendous amount of effort into the timeline. I think they just expect you to go with it as its a show about space wizards, uber-violent teddy bears and muscle blokes with pig heads.

- Boba came out of the Sarlaac wearing his armor. Then he woke up on the sand without it. Why does he assume the Sarlaac somehow strip him of his armor and swallowed it again?

I didn't fully understand this either. Didn't he try to resist the Jawas as they took his armour at one point?

- Why does Boba need to spend so much time in bacta at all if he did without it for five years? Clearly, it's not pain related. Clearly he doesn't need the bacta to survive. So what? He doesn't like the scars? He can't stand the sight of his wrinkled skin in a mirror?

I think it's to get rid of the lasting effects of the Sarlacc's acid venom.

- Boba spends two hours (?) inside the Sarlaac covered in indestructible beskar and crawls out weakened, barely conscious and covered in burns. Years later he re-enters the Sarlaac in a bathrobe and climbs back out covered in acid slime and yet unscathed. Anyone care to explain how this acid works? Does it just cook armor?
“You will therefore be taken to the Dune Sea and cast into the Pit of Carkoon, the nesting place of the all-powerful Sarlacc. In his belly, you will find a new definition of pain and suffering, as you are slowly digested over a thousand years.” ―C-3PO

It takes 1,000 years to digest a human. The acid is weak but somehow gets into the tissues and causes immense pain.

- It took four episodes for Boba to explain why he so desperately wants to become a crime lord (good job, screenwriters!) but I still don't understand. Why oh why does he want to take Jabba's place? If he wanted to retire, if his stay amongst the Tuskens convinced him to give up on crime for five years, how did their deaths suddenly change that? Is it a matter of "Criminals killed my friends so I'll become a crime lord to avenge them"? And if he just wants to become a crime lord because he figured it's time for him to become the boss rather than one of the underlings, why do it on this god-forsaken planet and over a criminal empire in tatters? Why not fly to Coruscant and take on the biggest drug cartel there? I just don't understand his motivation.

The answer is... so Disney could make bank on exploiting IP. But seriously, I'm not sure either. I think you're just supposed to go with it and let the lasers and celebrity guest appearances numb your critical faculties.

- Fennec is the only character acting like the Boba Fett from the original trilogy. She's the one coming up with the plans instead of running her mouth. She's the one with the cool gadgets. She's the one kicking butts while Boba wipes the floor

Welcome to 2022, man.

Well, you have a lot more questions than me. I thought the Sand People/Tusken Raiders episode was better. At least it wasn't as poor as last weeks.

I'm not sure that the comedy in this series works. It certainly needs more refinement. Are robots that make peculiar noises intrinsically funny?

I wasn't aware of the name change/Disney politics and I obviously don't want to get into social politics here, but you are aware that there are other definitions of the word Slave, especially those relating to Slave Machines? (direct-coupled machines) (mechanical technology - the configuration of motors such as two motors connected to different drives that are acting on the same load) (computer technology - a large processor used to handle large jobs). So, personally I never saw the name to be offensive, but more that Boba Fett and his ship were an inextricably linked partnership of man and machine. However, I'm willing to learn new things, and I do every day here.

Yes, I guess the earlier split storyline has now caught up with the latter. I had read that this show was a single season and ran directly into the Mandalorian Season 2, so we will shortly catch up with Boba's appearance in that, and then the stories will continue together as the same show.

The rat catcher droid (along with the server droid in Jennifer Beals' bar that looks like the Smash robots from the ad) feature quite frequently in the animated series - this might explain the humour. The chef droid is the same kind as the one on the refugee ship Anakin and Padme use when leaving Coruscant in AOTC, and EV-9D9 is the torture droid from ROTJ (it tortures a Gonk droid in Jabba's palace) and makes R2 the server droid.

Back