Anti-paladin's dinner party

HareBrain

Smeerp of Wonder
Staff member
Supporter
My sister found this fantasy feast scene when clearing out a wardrobe in her house. I must have painted it when first excited by role playing games in my late teens. I can barely recall doing it at all, and we had no idea why my sister had it. I thought it was worth putting up here. I like the two tiny goblins (which look as if they might have been influenced by those in Tolkien's Father Christmas Letters) trying to haul away a slab of ham as the minotaur "carves" it with his axe.

Monsters Dinner.jpg

That's very disturbing, but very cool. The detail work is wonderful - the grain at the ends of the table's wooden beams, the unique surface details of each of the flooring tiles (which gives many of them a sort of 3D feel). It's a busy, but interesting for being busy, work. The quality of the drawing seems very good for a teen.

Did you ever consider becoming a visual artist, HB, or was this just for fun?

Perhaps your sister had it because it was causing nightmares at home? ;)

It's a busy, but interesting for being busy, work.
This is what surprises me now, that I had that level of patience. I guess that's youthful enthusiasm for you (and possibly lack of internet). Another of my favourite bits of detail is that the goblin being strangled for stealing the manticore's chicken drumstick has raised his stool on a pile of books, the topmost of which is the Bible!

Did you ever consider becoming a visual artist, HB
No. My art teacher wanted me to pursue it, but I couldn't think what I wanted to do with it apart from fun stuff like this. Halfway through my accountancy training contract, I got very unhappy with my career decision and wanted to jump ship and take an art course, but my sister persuaded me to finish the contract first. By the time I had, I was starting to write.

Is it watercolour? I occasionally think of trying to get better at drawing, and then I remember that painting miniatures is much easier.
It is watercolour. I used to love painting miniatures too. Not long ago I rescued some from a box in the cellar and put them on display.

Fantastic work! Love the chaotic feast. Also great detail in the second painting too, including the frame. Worthy of a skilled professional.

Back