What Was the Last Television Episode You Watched?

The Silent Service.
A series based on a Manga. A secret joint project to build a nuclear submarine by the USA and Japan is disrupted when a Japanese Captain and his crew steal the submarine, declare themselves the independent nation of Yamato and plan to unite the world in peace.

COOL MILLION - Assault on Gavaloni - Jefferson Keyes (James Farentino), ex-CIA, is hired by Wilfred Hyde-White (Hollywood's resident "eccentric Brit") to steal a painting and gets Pamela Franklin to assist. This series is pretty dull. Only lasted 5 episodes.

The son and I have just watched the first four episodes of Deep Space Nine after finally finishing TNG. Four episodes in and DS9 obviously still in its bedding-in stages but already I can see Odo's shape-shifting get-out-of-plot-hole free schtick getting very old, very fast but my gods! hasn't Avery Brooks got a sexy voice?!

The son and I have just watched the first four episodes of Deep Space Nine after finally finishing TNG. Four episodes in and DS9 obviously still in its bedding-in stages but already I can see Odo's shape-shifting get-out-of-plot-hole free schtick getting very old, very fast but my gods! hasn't Avery Brooks got a sexy voice?!

For me DS9 only really got going from about season 4. From memory, Odo's shape-shifting isn't over-used. Without doubt though the stars of the show are the Ferengi who start off as a bit of comedy relief, but end up as the stars of the show.

What's the best way to watch Star Trek these days from the original until now? I've seen most of the series with the exception of DS9 and Picard, but I'd like to start over.

I binge watched 2 Nero Wolfe series and compared them. I did ignore the 20 minute pilot from 1959 that didn't sell.

First up, which was easiest to find, was the 2 seasons of A&E's 2001-2002 series starring Maury Chaykin and Timothy Hutton as Wolfe and Archie Goodwin, respectively. Most outstanding features were its setting of mid-50's New York City and the use of a company cast. They rarely had any guest stars and mostly used the same actors in different roles, other than a core of recurring characters.

The second was the 1 half-season of NBC's 1981 series starring William Conrad and Lee Horsley as the titular pair. It was set in then current NYC and used the typical guest stars of TV.

I personally preferred the A&E series. Horsley's Goodwin was more like Nigel Bruce's portrayal of Dr. Watson, whereas Hutton's portrayal was a street-wise, smart-ass with eidetic memory. There was also a lot of humor in the A&E series. The NBC production really seemed more like a typical Hollywood vehicle for Conrad; i.e. Cannon 2.0.

Anyway, I've only read 1 Nero Wolfe novel, and the A&E series seemed more true to the book. I need to find some more to read...

PS: Rex Stout, the author, passed away in 1975. During his lifetime, there were a couple of movies and that 30-minute thing. After those, Stout insisted that there should be no more attempts until after his death. :unsure:

PSS: That 1959 pilot starred Kurt Kasznar and William Shatner as the titular pair.

THE INVADERS - The Organization - David Vincent teams up with a mobster (JD Cannon) to help him get the aliens. But can he be trusted? Barry Atwater plays the alien official.

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE - The Play -- The team goes behind the Iron Curtain to put on a show in order to trap a nasty official and make him look bad in front of his boss. Barry Atwater plays the boss.

HAWAII-FIVE O - The Reunion -- A Japanese business man is being targeted by someone and suspicion falls on three US vets. Barry Atwater plays a main vet (although Simon Oakland is the the most intense one).

MANNIX - Memory Zero---I had serious deja vu watching this like I had seen it before but apparently not. The secretary of a rival PI who was murdered needs Joe's help but she is rather a ditz and can't remember anything important. Frank (brother of Joseph) Campanella appears as his cop associate who has to hide his chili lunch since Mannix is inclined to help himself to it.

Play for Today: It Could Happen to Anybody

Gritty, kitchen-sink drama set in Glasgow. A recovering alcholic wife, who has had her two youngest taken into care, lives with her abusive alcholic husband and a son who cares for his mum, but is always in trouble with the law.

As gritty as it gets really. Realistic, harrowing, and you feel so sorry for the poor woman who is prepared to put up with it all for the love of her family. Brilliant acting and compulsive viewing.

Play for Today:
Did you know there are three episodes of PFT on BBC iPlayer, including the landmark Blue Remembered Hills?

We're watching The Hour on Netflix. Engrossing and really good so far. Kind of spy thriller set at the BBC in the 1950s.
I've recently been recommended this. I'll give it a go.

I've been watching (up to ep9 of 12, on Netflix) a sci-fi animation, Scavengers Reign, set on an alien planet after a spacecraft crash. The alien ecology is very inventive, especially regarding symbiosis, but often seems essentially random in terms of the human castaways being able to make use of it -- you'd have thought the amount of trial and error necessary would have resulted in death many times over.

Also watched ep1 of Dopesick, a docu-drama about the horrific OxyContin scandal.

Tales from the Loop s1, e1-4
So far, I have enjoyed this very much and looking up the artwork that these short are based on has been insightful also, and I'm planning on ordering the original art book.

BUT, e3 in my opinion, really had no place or reason to have been made at all, if you have seen it. Just me.

On the other hand, e2 was right up my allay. It has a sad twist in the end that I half guessed before it happened.

Overall, an easy paced 'thinker' series.
And I just finished s1, e5-8 of Tales from the Loop
I really enjoyed this, there were two eps that were not for me and one of them I had to pass on part way through. That's fine.
The last episode was a meshed conclusion of prier episodes and had a few twists as well that brought it all together with a nice setup for a second season.
Great stuff!

Play for Today - A Choice of Evils

This was quite hard going at times. It focuses on the Nazi reprisal executions of civillians in Rome during WW2, including a priest. And looks at the relationship between the Pope, Church, the fascist regime and Communist resistance in Italy.

I can't say that I grasped all of the intricaces of the situation; it was quite dialogue-heavy, with discussions between a priest who was one of the hostages due to be executed, and another who was trying to save his life. But it was very well acted, as all of these 'Play for Today' seem to be.

IRONSIDE - Message From Beyond -- In the series premiere episode, the Chief is mad that his sure bet at the race track is disrupted by a theft.
Kent McCord appears as a motorcycle cop. We learn Ironside has a coffee pot that was last cleaned during the Truman administration and he is angry that Eve washed it since it had a particular flavor he liked.

THE WILD WILD WEST - The night of the Spanish Curse--fair but not great episode about Cortez and his bullet-proof conquistadors.
Jim West should never try to dress up as one of them--he looks so out of place. He shoots a couple of them in the head too.

MANNIX - With Intent To Kill- A hard-nose cop is getting death threats and his wife hires Joe to find out why. The cop doesn't like it. An unconscious Mannix is almost killed in this one by a car driving over him--he is saved by a woman arriving in time to block the killer blow.

Finished the eight-part docudrama Dopesick (BBC iPlayer, also on Disney+/Hulu). Not an easy watch at times, but a compelling one, with a bittersweet ending from a justice angle. Michael Keaton is great as the Virgina doctor taken in by Purdue's sales rep and becoming addicted to OxyContin himself.

Finished the eight-part docudrama Dopesick (BBC iPlayer, also on Disney+/Hulu). Not an easy watch at times, but a compelling one, with a bittersweet ending from a justice angle. Michael Keaton is great as the Virgina doctor taken in by Purdue's sales rep and becoming addicted to OxyContin himself.

Michael Keaton only seems to pop up every now and then in movies and tv. But he's generally excellent when he does. Perjaps he's very selective about what commissions he will and won't accept.