What Was the Last Television Episode You Watched?

I watched episode 15 of Vikings (season 6). A very disappointing (last) season so far, it must have different writers.

I saw a stage version of Pride and Prejudice at the weekend (only three actors!) and enjoyed it so much I've started rewatching the 1995 BBC series version, starring Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle and adapted by Andrew Davies. So good! I had a housemate who would watch this several times a year or whenever she was feeling poorly, and I can see why.

I saw a stage version of Pride and Prejudice at the weekend (only three actors!) and enjoyed it so much I've started rewatching the 1995 BBC series version, starring Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle and adapted by Andrew Davies. So good! I had a housemate who would watch this several times a year or whenever she was feeling poorly, and I can see why.
It is of my favourite series easily the one I have rewatched most often, without (so far) getting tired of it. But several times a year would be overdoing it.

During my week away from the computer, we watched the complete series Shane (1966, 17 episodes.) David Carradine has the title role, which is loosely based on the novel and movie of the same name. Pretty good Western. Interestingly, the main antagonist (cattle rancher who wants to drive the homesteaders out) often has to work with the hero

Doctors - Episode called 'Whistle'

I never thought I would watch an episode of this soap, never mind recommend it on this forum. But I did, and I am.

It's a variation M R James' seminal ghost story 'Oh Whistle', and very well done. There are also a number of hidden easter eggs and tributes in there waiting to be found; some more obvious than others. 'Hordernwick' is the setting for example, which is a nod to Michael Hordern who featured in the original BBC version.

It isn't perfect, and it isn't as good as the original 'ghost story for Christmas' (but is comparable with the later John Hurt version) - but come on, this a 25 minute dinnertime soap that is probably made on a shoestring budget having a go at something different. And on that basis, it is a resounding success.

Definitely worth a watch on Youtube, and a big shout out for the tv veteran Paul Moriarty who plays a memorable role as the Colonel.

Spouse and I watched first 8 episodes of “Mindhunter.” Liked it at first but it’s pancaking on me now, don’t care to watch more.

THE WILD WILD WEST - The Night of the Sedgewick Curse -- Takes a horror turn with a little bit of House of Usher and then dash of a mad scientist plot with Jay Robinson. It was ok. Jackie Coogan is uncredited as the voice of a dummy.

MANNIX- What Happened to Sunday? - Joe loses his memory and has to retrace his steps--meeting various women who know him all too well (among them is Francine York with blonde hair). Once again his police contact is someone else--in this case Lt Maury Strauss (Milton Selzer). They are rotating them it would seem.

CANNON- Hounds of Hell- Someone is using attack dogs to kill Vietnam vets. Frank is hired to find out who and avoid being the next victim.

COLUMBO - Swan Song - Johnny Cash commits two murders to get free of a blackmailing wife. This has one of the best quirky supporting character scenes --a airline inspector tries to offer him a job, a funeral parlor tries to sell him policy, and a seamstress tries to pick him up. Premiered 50 years ago.

IRONSIDE - Price Tag Death - Ralph Meeker is an ex-cop living on skid row but he goes to the chief for help after a hobo friend is murdered. The culprit is Clu Gallagher, a weird guy who writes bad checks with a gizmo he stole. He buys lots of groceries with it-and then dumps then in the garbage---and it is never explained why. I guess he felt guilty about killing the hobo when he did the robbery. Just an odd tempo to this series--they have such a fancy office--a pool table--they get really fancy meals in there too.

In contrast is

KOJAK - Dead On His Feet-- Harry Gaurdino fails to help his best friend and partner during a bust because he has a stomach problem. His partner dies and he learns that he has inoperable stomach cancer. He also confesses to the widow (Joanne Linville, who can do a lot of emoting without saying a word) that he was in love with her (he does it by using a movie reference about how Clark Gable is married to Myrna Loy but Spencer Tracy is carrying a torch). The veteran nature of the actors contributes a lot to making these things work. He wants to get the mobster who shot his partner since he knows he is going to die anyway--he takes risks. Some have complained that the ending doesn't make sense in terms of how he gets the mobster to incriminate himself (could have something to do with tv regulations--not sure about that) the scene Guardino has with the criminal is so dramatically intense.

Kojak is pretty mad in this episode too and when the criminal says he made a threat against him,
Kojak replies: Greeks don't make threats, they utter prophecies.

Also, when someone says death is democratic, he gets in another zinger: don't talk to me about democracy-my ancestors invented it.

Premiered 50 years ago this week.

THE ROCKFORD FILES - Find Me If You Can -- Joan Van Ark hires Rockford to find her--because she is worried about something--has to do with a mobster and a stolen $50 000 and a murder she witnessed too.

HEC RAMSEY - Scar Tissue - A young man (Kurt Russell) comes to town seeking the father he never met (in order to kill him for ditching his mother) while an old man (Chill Wills) comes looking for a job from his protege` Hec. This episode has no IMDB reviews. Premiered 50 years ago.

Extraordinary Disney+. Binged series 1 of this comedy about a group of 20 somethings living in a London bedsit in a version of today where almost everyone develops a superpower when they turn 18. Most of these are a bit useless, like farting in colour. The main protagonist has, unusually, reached the age of 25 without developing any power, and has a hard time dealing with it. So basically a modern sitcom with an interesting wrinkle. The closest in terms of style I can think of is Derry Girls
Recommended.

Episode 3 of the WWII US air force drama, Masters of the Air.

I like the series, but IMO it's not a patch on Band of Brothers, which was made by the same team. It doesn't have the same realism and grit as the earlier series and there's something unreal about the CGI aerial scenes. They are spectacular and often harrowing, but there's a cartoonish quality to them (similar to the recent remake of Midway). It also has too much Spielberg nostalgic schmaltz for my liking.

But despite all that, the characters and story are engaging and I'm a sucker for WWII stories, so I'll watch the whole thing.

We watched the season finale of Shadow And Bone last night. Overall, 6.5/10. I liked a lot of it, but some of the actors didn't seem to fit their roles, and there was a bit of plot bother. Too many coincidences and unused powers. Perhaps it was just too epic? The "thieves & assassins" group were more interesting than Alina...

Doctors - Episode called 'Whistle'

I saw this recently, and was quite surprised not just that it was quite good, but that it existed at all. It's nowhere near as good as the Hordern/Miller version, but it is remarkably decent and clearly done by someone who really likes the source material.

Rewatching House of Dragon in preparation of the 2nd season. While not amazing by any stretch, I'm enjoying it more the second time around.

I saw this recently, and was quite surprised not just that it was quite good, but that it existed at all. It's nowhere near as good as the Hordern/Miller version, but it is remarkably decent and clearly done by someone who really likes the source material.

That it was made at all, is more than quite remarkable. Apparently it was shown in the regular lunch time slot, as jist another episode of the medical drama. It was shown on Halloween I suppose gave the writers a tiny bit more licence.

But given the time slot, the limited budget and the remit for the show as a drama about a doctor's surgery, it defies all logic that it was ever made.

And all things considered, it was a good effort, with some nice references to the Omnibus/Hordern adaptation.

I'm struggling to think of anything to make comparisons with.

The Man from U. N. C.L. E
Episode 1 The Vulcan Affair
Episode 2 . The Iowa Scuba Affair

:cool:

BATMAN - Pop Goes The Joker/Flop Goes the Joker - The Joker becomes an artist as a cover for his crimes. Alfred saves the day.

Aunt Harriet: Alfred, be careful! The Joker's an arch-criminal!
Alfred: I know, madam, but a very poor fencer.
The Joker: You anglo-fink! I'll smash you to smidgens!
Alfred: May I point out that smidgens is a childish effusion which should have no place even in so poor a vocabulary as yours, sir.

THE WILD WILD WEST - The Night of the Gruesome Games - Someone steals a vial of a plague and hides it in the house of an elderly eccentric (William Schallert who must be rehearsing for his eventual stint in the show as a temporary stand in for Ross Martin). Robert Conrad does a roll on his head which looks rather painful.

MANNIX- The Playground - Joe has to protect a movie star under threat. Robert Conrad! And he rides a horse at the end which could well be the same horse from the WWW.

CANNON - Target in the Mirror -- Frank is asked to help a mobster turn state evidence without being killed but he turns it down and when a friend is murdered he ends up involved in the case anyway (and he doesn't know that a cop friend is the murderer).