*70s-80s* Sci-fi/space-travel book with female part/full Asian heritage named "Meng or Mang" who dies in a space suit from an air leak.

Seeking

There is a ship. It is filled with multiple personality one of them is a blond woman and she is having sex with a mercenary guy name Mike, maybe. Everyone is a scientist or soldier on a long haul voyage through space possibly to colonize or to escape overpopulation. The Asian female character is depressed. The woman goes on a space walk in a sort of ATV and ends up running out of air due to a leak in her suit and is later found frozen solid and assumed to have committed suicide. I don't recall if she is thawed and revived. The book was paperback and very aged/old. I don't think it was The Expanse.

I forgot about writing this post. Unfortunately, i see no one else has remembered it either. Damn.

Or haven't even read it! I can remember a story about a woman whose ship got so close to the sun that she barely survived, and one about a large man who stopped a space ship hull slow leak with his butt cheek, and a mishmash of stories in which someone floated away into deep space in his suit, but nothing like this description. Yet.

Or haven't even read it! I can remember a story about a woman whose ship got so close to the sun that she barely survived, and one about a large man who stopped a space ship hull slow leak with his butt cheek, and a mishmash of stories in which someone floated away into deep space in his suit, but nothing like this description. Yet.
The butt cheek episode is in a Heinlein juvenile. Possibly Farmer in the Sky. As you say, has no bearing on the op question.

I believe the story is "Gentlemen, Be Seated." It takes place on the moon. Two or three men are trapped in a ?dome? ?tunnel? with a leak... Only way to slow down the leak...

That is very interesting.
Heinlein must have used the plot idea more than once. Such a nice idea that it would not be surprising. I read the Farmer in the Sky 40-odd years ago so my memory may be inaccurate, but I have a feeling that there are clothes between butt and hard vacuum, and that the hero’s Boy Scout badge gets wrecked in the process. Anyone else read this?

Last edited:
That is very interesting.
Heinlein must have used the plot idea more than once. Such a nice idea that it would not be surprising. I read the Farmer in the Sky 40-odd years ago so my memory may be inaccurate, but I have a feeling that there are clothes between butt and hard vacuum, and that the hero’s Boy Scout badge gets wrecked in the process. Anyone else read this?
That plot about the hero's Boy Scout badge is in Farmer in the Sky!

Back