Past tenses

Hello.

This is the kind of question I'd normally ask Her Hon. by PM but I figured it might be of use to others -- or I might just be a lemon, and everyone knows it already. My experience of grammar and tenses was only taught to me in French, never English. I was the first cohort of GCSEs in 1988 and my (grammar!) school (the incredibly gayly-named Bournemouth School for Boys :D )chose to combine English into one qualification so we got a grade for Lang and a number for Lit; eg: A3, C4 etc... Consequently I struggle with the rules and names of tenses.

Anyway, my question is re words like swum/swam and sunk/sank.

I'm not sure which one to use and have been going kind of by intuition/sound. I feel like swam is in the past, but actively 'doing' swimming, and swum is in the past with the swimming having been 'done'. Similarly, sunk would be, say, an item that has already got submerged, whereas sank, is reporting its action of sinking in the past.

Am I right? I've been going from Strunk and White for years, but realised recently that is American English so I have to be careful my WIPs aren't full of US and UK English.

Ta
I think you mean "Pasts Tense." :p

(Sorry. Couldn't resist.)

I'venoticed that 'weaved' is replacing I weave - Iwove - I have woven, at least in American English. Still, I still use the subjunctive mood, and abhore split infinitives, so I should probably just sut up andmarvel at the mutation.
I often see lighted a candle instead of lit.

It’s a minefield. Admiral Ackbar would have something to say about English!
I am from the States and can say, our ideas and versions of the English Language, in my opinion, is a mash of terrible slangs and a butchery of the English language in all its forms and an insult to its origin.

And the US is a language midfield that is in need of Admiral Ackbar! (Had to through that in!)

I grew up listening to the BBC on short wave as well as watching various English comedies and dramas on our PBS TV stations here. And I have read many books written by English Authors and enjoy listening to BBC4 on the internet. (OK, a Clair FM- The West Wind and Scottish Music Radio fan too.)

I have a better chance of understanding Hoi Toiders then, (so, so) half of the slang here (less than so-so).

Non the less! I would love to be able to speak and write true proper English. (Being Londen or Cornwall) Yorkshire will do as well, and not Yorkshire because of the pudding but because of 'All Creatures Great and Small.' original and current, mind you.

And Cornwall because I have a Scottish ancestor via Cornwall to Connecticut to Canada.

I have said enough. Back in a few months and a pint to you both!

(Why ride a mustang when you can spit-fire?)

“Our language can’t repel slang of that magnitude!!” ;)
No it can't my good friend! No it can't. It is a pity though. With the history here in the states and the mish mash of native, immigrant/slave cultures and languages. As well as the whole historical mess of everything, to you good sir I rase a glass!
I can go on and on and on about the mastery of a langue from it'd source (as well as it's local slang; You can tell an Oxford man by his accent!) but I wont at this time.

But I well say this. I once worked for a German Optics company and we had a layover in Heathrow. Hearing a Brit women on TV is on thing. In person...I was ready then and there to drop the Stars and Strips and embrace the Union Jack!

I didn't, and over time I married a half bread native American wife, and am very happy!...Maybe a bit much for your post, but still, true spoken English makes sense! ( all of England, Welsh, Irish and me wee Scots too.)

So, I think that here in the States at this time, the idea of what are my emotions over yours is considered 'Intelligent' communication. What?

In keeping with your post, I have had many years of listing to many BBC programs and understand and enjoy them all. But when it come's to reading works by various British writers, the difference in style and my ability to follow is, Wow! If only I had that mastery! :)

Things like "The further side of the farm." as apposed to "The farther side of the farm." It's a different meaning if I understand correctly.

Last edited: