Detective Epimetheus opening (~550 words)

WSDuffy

I hit 30 posts, so I get to submit an opening for critique. It is.... not ready for primetime yet, so any help would be welcome.

Detective Epimetheus

On a sunny March day in the 168th street subway station, a woman with one umbrella sat down next to a man with two.

“Why are you carrying that?” The man said, pointing his food towards her umbrella, “It’s a lovely day out.”

“I’m working late, and there’s a chance of rain tonight. The National Weather Service radar showed some clouds moving in.”

“Ah, a woman with foresight. So rare in your generation.”

Dorothy Lawrence, the woman in question, looked sideways at the older man. “I guess we’re too busy dealing with all the crap your generation’s stuck us with to look too far ahead.”

The older man chuckled, a small smile stretching across dark skin, and turned his eyes away. “I can’t argue with that. Me and mine have caused some problems for a lot of the ones who came after. But we thought we were doing the right things. Well, most of us anyway.”

The 1 train came, and Dorothy and the older man stepped on. It was then that Dorothy saw the man’s two umbrellas. One was a standard collapsing kind, notable only for its yellow color, a slight variation from the traditional New York black. The other was a beautiful straight umbrella. Its silver handle ended in a eagle’s head with amber eyes and its fabric was a deep crimson with what Dorothy recognized as a Greek key pattern in gold running along the edge. She was going to mention it, but then the doors closed and a busker started playing drums on a bucket, rendering any attempt at conversation pointless. The “musician” was onto another train car in two stops, but by then the moment passed. Dorothy occupied herself checking the discussion boards in her courses until the doors opened at the 66th exit, and the older man brushed by her on the way out.

“Lovely to meet you, miss. If you don’t mind taking advice from an old man, walk up 60th street when you get off and cross over on 10th. You’ll avoid the film crew that way.”

The old man smiled and walked off the train, and Dorothy saw that he was only holding his green umbrella and tried to shout, but the doors closed. She turned and saw that his beautiful red umbrella had indeed been left under his seat and grabbed it. If the man took the same trip tomorrow she could return it to him. If not, it never hurt to have a spare. She then got off at the Columbus Circle Station, and started walking west on 59th street. She made it half a block before her path was obstructed by a large silver truck and some signage reading “closed: filming in process.” After 45 seconds of checking for away around the blockade, she gave up and doubled back.

“Should have listened to the old man.” Dorothy said to herself, and then stopped. How had he known that there would be filming at 59th street? And how did he know that she was getting off at that station? She shook her head. He must have figured that she was getting off soon because of how close she was standing to the train doors. And the film crew? Well, it was common enough in the city. She made her way back to Columbus Circle and walked uptown a block before resuming her journey, this time on 60th.

Very nice! It hit the two things I look for as a reader
  1. It read easily
  2. It was interesting
The only part I skipped (and that is because I have mild ADHD) is the detailed description of the umbrella. If the world was full of me's I'd say drop that bit. I suspect that umbrella will be important and we will have an opportunity to learn about it in more detail when we care about it more. Perhaps describe it when Dorothy takes it home and has a reason to examine it well.

I did have a POV jar at the start. It seemed that the POV was the old man (because we see the two umbrellas but Dorothy does not) or perhaps omniscient, but soon it seems we are following Dorothy. Perhaps rewrite the start clearly from Dorothy's POV.

e..g.

On a sunny March day in the 168th street subway station, Dorothy sat down on a bench to wait for the train.

The old man sitting on the other end of the bench pointed his food towards her umbrella. “Why are you carrying that?” he said, “It’s a lovely day out.”

“I’m working late, and there’s a chance of rain tonight. The National Weather Service radar showed some clouds moving in.”

“Ah, a woman with foresight. So rare in your generation.”

Dorothy looked sideways at him. “I guess we’re too busy dealing with all the crap your generation’s stuck us with to look too far ahead.”

Edit: if you wanted to hook the reader with the one umbrella vs two umbrellas line, I wonder if you could start a bit later in the story. Like so:

It was only while boarding the train, did Dorothy notice the odd thing about the old man.

"His awkward small talk seems even more bizarre now," she thought to herself, inspecting the umbrellas curiously. "Why make a big deal of
me carrying an umbrella when he's got two himself?"

You have a continuity goof
One was a standard collapsing kind, notable only for its yellow color

Dorothy saw that he was only holding his green umbrella

Last edited:
Thanks for the note, and continuity catch. I had changed the colors back and forth and forgot to switch back. And you are right that the umbrella is going to be important, but it is a good idea to try to make the description more engaging. If it didn't catch your attention, I should make it better

Love this - it had me grinning and looking forward to what might follow.

What level of crit do you want? There are some nit picky issues but nothing major for an early draft.

Thank you Anya. I am having trouble with quotes, but I will take whatever you can give in terms of level of crit. My plan is to complete the short story before I go back and make my edits, so you may not see the edits for a while but it may help me make it better as I go along

I think you've got a good start.

msstice has already addressed most of what I would have said: the POV is very confusing at the start. Now, I'm not a huge stickler for POV consistency--there's a lot of published fiction that dips in and out of different viewpoints but it has to be done very skillfully to keep from distracting the reader.

Also, like msstice, I would have liked a deeper description of the umbrella: both to draw the reader's attention to it and to emphasize its strangeness. I also feel like giving us more of Dorothy's reaction to it beyond "She was going to mention it," could be helpful. What strikes her about the umbrella? Does it evoke any emotions in her?

I thought the dialogue sounded fine.

One line quibble:
On a sunny March day in the 168th street subway station, a woman with one umbrella sat down next to a man with two.
To me, this sounds like it's sunny in the subway station.

I like what you've done so far. Keep writing.

Sorry for being slow to get back but just wanted to chime in and say I liked it a lot, it had a good hook and the umbrella thing was curious.
I'd drop the:
the woman in question
as it might let Dorithy jump straight in (but am no expert).
The q & a bit at the end of the passage didn't seem to flow as well as the rest of the story:
How had he known that there would be filming at 59th street? And how did he know that she was getting off at that station? She shook her head. He must have figured that she was getting off soon because of how close she was standing to the train doors. And the film crew? Well, it was common enough in the city.
Not sure what to advise there and it's far from a game changer but it felt a bit like the 'tune in for part 2' thing on a telly show -having wrote that, I'd be tuning in anyway;)
Fair play

A great read and a story that begs to be continued. I hope that you post more of it.

Adding to other comments above, knowing about a filming location is not that odd. Perhaps focus on why he knew it would affect her? It distracts a bit from the “real” odd part in my view.

Sule, Anroinn, and Aknot, thank you so much for the kind words and on the spot analysis. I have actually written about 2-3 K more words, and am hoping to post again soon, but I don't know how often it is acceptable to post one's WIP here without taking away other's purpose. The comments are really helpful, and are identifying some opportunities for major improvement. Anroinn, you are right that I'm having a lot of trouble with the transition point at the end. I was trying to reveal the "hidden" information (The man with the lost umbrella knew what stop Dorothy was going to get off on even though she hadn't told him) but tuck it into "mundane" knowledge (59th street was blocked) to delay the supernatural nature of the story a bit. In second draft, I think I will emphasize it more by having Dorothy question whether she told the man her stop, and then run into a surprise road closure a few lines later. However, you will see the next 500 words first because otherwise I get into an editing cycle and never actually finish my stories. Is posting next 500 or so words now appropriate, or should I wait a week?

Sorry, WSD -- I hadn't noticed your post here until you profile posted, so I missed your question.

Anyhow, if you're posting 500 words again, then it will be fine to do that in the next day or so -- it's always best to leave a good 4 or 5 days after the first extract goes up, so as to give plenty of people the chance of responding and helping. You can post a new thread, or in this case you could post here if you wanted -- the thread maximum is 1500 words.

After that, I'd suggest you let another 7-10 days elapse before posting a third extract. We discourage members from putting up four or more pieces in the space of a month, though, especially when they're in separate threads, and the longer each extract, the greater the time we'd prefer between them so that other members don't feel overwhelmed by what they're being asked to read.

That help?

That does. I will post in this Thread on Tuesday, to keep it all in the once/week session