Kraxon Magazine -- Favourite Story of 2021 -- Discussion Thread

Ursa major

Bearly Believable
Staff member
Supporter
There's a new thread where you can vote for favourite story of the year 2021 in Kraxon Magazine. This thread is for any discussions you want to have about the stories.

The thread for polling is here.

Please vote -- you have THREE votes -- as the winning story will garner its author a cash prize of £100! (And note: you MUST cast ALL your votes at the same time.)

Since I was involved in getting 11 of these fabulous stories for Kraxon I'm debarring myself from voting this year.

That doesn't stop anyone else, though -- so get reading and get voting!

I'm bumping this, having moved it from the Kraxon sub-forum.

Twelve great stories to read and three votes at the end of it! What's not to like!

Kraxon has no presence on the main page/ index. It needs at least a top layer link under 'Writing and Publishing' or "Books and Literature".
Burying it under 'Magazines' (somewhere I have never looked at TBH) is probably why it is receiving little attention.

That's certainly something Glitch can raise with Brian in due course and I'll pass the idea on. I'm trying to remember if Kraxon has always been in "Magazines" -- I've a vague notion that might be a recent-ish development when a lot of things got changed around -- but I know for the last few years the poll discussion thread at least has been in Writing Discussion to get a bit more traction for the poll itself.

Meanwhile, I'd always encourage members to pay attention to New Posts as that's the best way of finding out what's new on the site at any one time -- including when the stories are published every month -- rather than just going to the same forums/subforums on the main page.

But for those who don't like New Posts because it can throw up a lot of threads in which you're not interested, well, go over to the Kraxon subforum at once and hit "Watch" at the top right to be told when another great story hits the boards, together with any other posts/threads which might go up from time to time. (Then we've just got to hope that the Alerts system is working for you!)

good few Chrons in the mix by the looks of it too
They're all fellow-Chronners! Save in exceptional circumstances, only submissions from Chrons members are considered for publication.

Speaking of which, I do have a few vacancies for the late summer/autumn, so while I'm not planning to put out a call quite yet, if anyone is thinking of writing a 1,000 word story, I'd be delighted to hear from you. Further details here Magazine Submissions 2021

@The Judge do I understand right, you are currently open to submissions, and we just follow the instructions on the 2021 thread? Standard (Shunn) MS format?

Thanks.

We're always open for submissions! (Well, nearly always...) I would only put out a call if we were running low on stories and I needed to remind people we were here and to chivvy them along to get something written.

So, yes, just follow the instructions on last year's thread. I'm not over-fussed about format as long as I can read it! Standard is fine -- the only thing to note is that Glitch prefers # for scene breaks, so try and use that and not eg ***.

I may not be as active on the forum these days, but this is my way of giving something back to the community.

The idea of Kraxon is to give you a feel for the publishing process. Submission, acceptance/rejection, editor notes, deadline, publication, etc. How you use it is up to you.

The idea of Kraxon is to give you a feel for the publishing process
Fair play, I can't make head nor tail of the process (and I'm fairly sure most others new to writing are in the same boat) -that's a great idea and very useful.

Fair play, I can't make head nor tail of the process (and I'm fairly sure most others new to writing are in the same boat) -that's a great idea and very useful.
I may not be as active on the forum these days, but this is my way of giving something back to the community.

The idea of Kraxon is to give you a feel for the publishing process. Submission, acceptance/rejection, editor notes, deadline, publication, etc. How you use it is up to you.
And a wonderful process, and experience, it is!

You gave me my first ever publishing opportunity, back in 2014. I’m immensely grateful and will always do what I can to support Kraxon.
Thank you.

A fine year of stories! And a shout-out for the fine editing and the always spot-on picture added to each story. Well done, all!

I've voted for:

Kerry Buchanan's Dusk 'til Dawn
Juliana Spink Mills' The End of All Things
Joachim Heijndermans' Shoot the White Ghost

If it's not gauche to give a favorite, I found Shoot the White Ghost to be especially exciting and engaging. But I am happy to have read each of the stories, congrats to the entire Kraxon team! Best of luck, all, with the voting the rest of the way. £100 is a terrific prize. :)

To TJ or Glitch - hello! Also, I've understood that Kraxon is an online magazine for Chrons writers, but one disconnect I have sometimes when new stories are published each month is that I often do not know which member the author is, by just the author name being given in the story thread title. And authors sometimes do not put up a post acknowledging their story, when it's posted. I wonder if it's possible to give the member name somewhere in the first post, for each story? I'd find it helpful, and perhaps others would as well (though I wonder if maybe it's intentional that member names aren't given). Anyway, great work last year - including TJ's wonderful serial - and I look forward to 2022, CC

To TJ or Glitch - hello! Also, I've understood that Kraxon is an online magazine for Chrons writers, but one disconnect I have sometimes when new stories are published each month is that I often do not know which member the author is, by just the author name being given in the story thread title. And authors sometimes do not put up a post acknowledging their story, when it's posted. I wonder if it's possible to give the member name somewhere in the first post, for each story? I'd find it helpful, and perhaps others would as well (though I wonder if maybe it's intentional that member names aren't given).
That's a great point, but I confess I'm reluctant to name names unless the author agrees to be outed, as it were. But I think what I'll start doing is to ask the authors if they mind their Chrons name being used, and if they're happy then I can post in the thread confirming who is who!

Meanwhile, thanks for voting!