Discovering fantasy

AE35Unit

]==[]===O °
It may seem surprising to hear that I want to read fantasy but I came to realise that my favourite sf books were stories of adventure, where an individual or a group embark on a journey (quest) to find something or save someone. I basically like adventure stories, which is why I hold Alan Dean Foster in such high regard. Years ago I read a duology by Greg Bear (The Infinity Concerto and The Serpent Mage) and they were a modern ish fantasy adventure. Around that time I also read some Piers Anthony books from a series featuring people traveling with enchanted animals. They were great fun and easy to read. Back in 2004 I read most of the first David Eddings series (the Belgariad) and I loved them (I'm going to re read them soon...).
Then a couple of years ago, after reading the Hobbit I finally read The Lord of the Rings series, and though it was a bit of a slog (more to do with me than the actual books) I would certainly read it again.
So now I want to find more such fantasy to read, preferably in the style of Eddings and Tolkien, high fantasy in some pastoral setting. But where to start?
So many books, so little time...
Avast men, to the library...

I always vote for the Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow & Thorn trilogy (first book is the Dragonbone Chair). My favorite high fantasy series. It's big and epic, but with touches of horror.

For something more in the adventure vein with fewer words, Dragons of Autumn Twilight by Weis & Hickman (first book of the Dragonlance Chronicles trilogy) has always been a favorite of mine. Lots of 80s D&D cliches, but also great characters with heart.

Try Raymond E Feist's Magician, although first in The Riftwar series it can be read as a standalone.
An epic tale of adventure and war, full of magic and friendship.
It will give you a feel of his style and then you can decide if you want to read the rest.
Thanks. Do you mean this one?

It may seem surprising to hear that I want to read fantasy but I came to realise that my favourite sf books were stories of adventure, where an individual or a group embark on a journey (quest) to find something or save someone. I basically like adventure stories, which is why I hold Alan Dean Foster in such high regard. Years ago I read a duology by Greg Bear (The Infinity Concerto and The Serpent Mage) and they were a modern ish fantasy adventure. Around that time I also read some Piers Anthony books from a series featuring people traveling with enchanted animals. They were great fun and easy to read. Back in 2004 I read most of the first David Eddings series (the Belgariad) and I loved them (I'm going to re read them soon...).
Then a couple of years ago, after reading the Hobbit I finally read The Lord of the Rings series, and though it was a bit of a slog (more to do with me than the actual books) I would certainly read it again.
So now I want to find more such fantasy to read, preferably in the style of Eddings and Tolkien, high fantasy in some pastoral setting. But where to start?
So many books, so little time...
Avast men, to the library...

The Dragon and the George by Gordon Dickson
The Last Unicorn by Peter S Beagle
The Dragon Waiting by John M. Ford
The Fellowship of the Talisman by Clifford Simak
Silverlock by John Myers Myers
Shadowkeep by Alan Dean Foster

On fantasy , don't limit yourself to a specific category of fantasy because if you do, you'll miss out on alot excellent books and stories.

Last edited:
Fantasy Adventure Stories, preferably with pastoral settings, in the vein of Eddings or Tolkien...

Well the very easy rec is to continue looking at Eddings. I prefer the Elenium to the Belgariad. You might slim pickings after that as the more you read of him, the less fresh the joke gets, but why not keep going until you get there?

I second Nixie on R.E. Feist, who was my first thought too. Some of his stuff gets a little more political, but it's heavily adventure focused. And yes, Magician, his first book, is published in some markets as one book (Magician) and others as two (Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master iirc).

Some of David Gemmell's books would fit what you ask for very well; some are more military fantasy, but the Waylander books, Winter Warriors, Quest for Lost Heroes - I think they could be v. much up your alley.

Dragonlance is an obvious rec, as is Lloyd Alexander's Book of Three if you don't mind going a bit YA and Celtic-tinged, or Le Guin's Wizard of Earthsea if you don't mind your adventure being a bit meditative.

Sword & Sorcery of most stripes fits reasonably well enough, although it can often be a little more weird and cynical. Maybe Moorcock's Prince of Swords or Leiber's Swords and Deviltry.

Quite a lot of Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar fits this too

Fantasy Adventure Stories, preferably with pastoral settings, in the vein of Eddings or Tolkien...

Well the very easy rec is to continue looking at Eddings. I prefer the Elenium to the Belgariad. You might slim pickings after that as the more you read of him, the less fresh the joke gets, but why not keep going until you get there?
My partner has a lot of Eddings on the book shelf. All the Belgariad and the Mallorean, and two books of the Tamuli. Also two Belgariad prequels, one of which I'm going to read next

Well I read Kraken by China Mieville which is urban fantasy, and I didn't enjoy it at all. So I will stick to the genre I'm comfortable with.

His earlier novels are easier, for a lack of a better word. King Rat is a pretty simple but fun read. Perdido Street Station is absolutely fantastic, with the only downside of perhaps being a tad to long for the story being told. The Scar, a lose follow up, is a further notch up as it’s a bit shorter without losing any of the depth.

After those books he goes for less lengthy stories but also starts experimenting further with his prose and story telling, which is interesting in a lot of ways but to me never reached the same heights.

The High House and its sequel The False House by James Stoddard

I'd recommend Robin Hobb's Farseer books. There's the first trilogy to try, then a finished series, if you like it.

Why always trilogies though? It means either buying all 3, and hope you like them, or arranging something with your local library, if possible.

Why always trilogies though? It means either buying all 3, and hope you like them, or arranging something with your local library, if possible.

Unless I know the author I often avoid trilogies. I might miss out sometimes but for me far too many set out to try and deliver a vast epic tale that just falls flat.