DISCUSSION THREAD -- JANUARY 2022 -- 75 Word Writing Challenge

Cat's Cradle

Time, now, to read...
Supporter
It is now 2022 where I live, so I am posting the new Challenge: January 2022 -- 75 Word Writing Challenge -- READ THE FIRST POST!!

THEME: CONNECTIONS

GENRE: SPECULATIVE FICTION

A reminder that the theme can be interpreted in any way you want. And here is a link to Wikipedia, on Speculative Fiction:

I am copying this next bit from TJ's post last month:

And we have a new prize for the Challenges! As most of you will know, Dan and Chris are creating the Chrons Podcast and they're offering the winner the chance of having his/her story read out on the next podcast. So start practising your RP and make ready your mini-recording studio, so you can recite your winning story at the end of the month! (Don't panic about it though. I'm sure they'll be happy to read it out if nerves or lack of technical know-ho get the better of you!)

Happy New Year to all, and best of luck with 2022's Challenges, CC

@Aknot .... 1986 .... Aknot conjures a future I'd want no part of.

@Mon0Zer0 .... Forty Millimetres, Best Served Warm .... Some connections are made to be broken.

@worldofmutes .... Today at 25:60 .... A story that makes me wonder about smart devices and morality.

Hm, well I suspect @Victoria Silverwolf is on her once a month, week's sabbatical from electronics. What's everyone else's excuse? --- I'll bet Santa brought you a box of candy canes and you need to suck them before you post? .... At least a few of us have a story written, and one of us is commenting. ;)

------------

@Guttersnipe .... Not Yet Your Time ..... Instead of two ships passing in the night, we have two souls passing in the light.

@JS Wiig .... See No, Hear No, Speak No .... The Dr. noted that now was the time for the blind to see and the deaf to hear.

Thanks for holding down the fort with your much-appreciated reviews, Parson!

The times I've won the 75 worder and so had to pick the following month's genre/theme, I've found it harder than usual to come up with a story... I don't know why. This month, I hope people aren't finding 'Connections' too much of a pain in the bottom, or too uninteresting of a theme choice.
For now, I'll go back to daydreaming and hope something pops into my head soon.

What's everyone else's excuse?
Fair play to you for keeping everything going @Parson -a Twelve Robots of Christmas compilation (linked on the promotion thread, with some quality writers involved) has been hoovering up my writing time, but will try get a story entered later. @Cat's Cradle , connections is a great theme -covers every writer/ book/ reader idea share there's ever been. Happy New Year, best of luck to all entering -was gonna add a trash talk 'abandon all hope of winning coz I'm coming with a story' comment, but it'd probably be wiser to come up with an idea for an entry first;)

@AnRoinnUltra .... Galluntium Badanticle Precision Engineering Company Ltd. .... A story that reminds us that people are people and will always make mistakes when we are angry and/or don't read carefully enough.

I think it's a really good story, Peter V! I read it twice, and I think it all makes good sense. There're connections of several types here, and it worked for me, good job, CC

I think it's a really good story, Peter V! I read it twice, and I think it all makes good sense. There're connections of several types here, and it worked for me, good job, CC
Thanks CC, I appreciate your kind comment. My biggest fear is that a lot of people read the entries en masse and if something is not immediately obvious it can be easily discarded - I have been guilty of that myself. These days, I do tend to read the entries as I go along, although the flip side of that is that on more than one occasion, I have come across an entry so similar to what I was working on that is has forced me back to the drawing board. Although maybe that is a good thing.

@Starbeast .... Babbitt Rabbit & Kazwallow Cat Obliterate the Universe .... Starbeast points out that reality doesn't bite so much as unravel.

@Peter V .... Little Match(maker) Girl .... A story that makes me contemplate what Cupid actually looks like.

@Astro Pen .... Continuation .... A story that makes me ask: "If I could do it like that, would I really want to?"

@WSDuffy
.... Long Distance Message .... [/B]Sometimes the strength of the connection is better measured by the effort than the words that are spoken. But some words can change a life and a perception.

It is so fascinating to see how many ways people have taken this. Shows that Cat's Cradle did a really good topic. I'm also really hoping to see some of the writers here expand their stories. Really great worldbuilding in short spaces

Aknot connects us with a strangely altered past.

Mon0Zer0 connects us with the struggle between humanity and its creations.

worldofmutes connects us with surreal meditations.

Iwroteathing connects us with a bizarre version of what might have happened.

Guttersnipe connects us with a vision of what lies beyond.

JS Wiig connects us with a possible medical miracle of the future.

AnRoinnUltra connects us with a droll example of misinformation.

Starbeast connects us with a farce of immense proportions.

Peter V connects us with a subtle account of possibilities and choices.

Astro Pen connects us with a sweeping look at the vastness of time.

WSDuffy connects us with a moving tale of self-sacrifice.

Christine Wheelwright connects us with a witty study of confusion.

Well, there's me. I was ready to post yesterday, but thought it unwise to post a story about an android immediately following a story about 'bots (good story, Christine Wheelright!).
Now I am following a good story from Victoria about the Metaverse and reality. You gotta love speculative fiction!

Hope those who've yet to enter are feeling inspired. Good luck with your writing (and now over to the 300 worder), CC

And we have a new prize for the Challenges! As most of you will know, Dan and Chris are creating the Chrons Podcast and they're offering the winner the chance of having his/her story read out on the next podcast. So start practising your RP and make ready your mini-recording studio, so you can recite your winning story at the end of the month! (Don't panic about it though. I'm sure they'll be happy to read it out if nerves or lack of technical know-ho get the better of you!)
I'm delighted to say that CC did record his winning entry from December, and I've slotted it into episode 1, which will be live on Monday.

Chris and I are really excited to have challenge winners featured on the podcast - hopefully we'll have a real variety of voices and stories throughout the year. And from the looks of the entries so far, 2022 is off to a good start :)

Back