Don't Look Up (2021) (Netflix)

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
We can't discuss politics and world affairs here. Shall I go now?

All I would say is that this has been heavily promoted as some great comedy. It really isn't that funny. There are half a dozen reasonable jokes. Some are funny, none are fall around laughing funny. It's over 2 hours long, you'd expect at least a few laughs.

It is a great satire, but much too close to reality. If it was meant to be a allegory about climate change, just substitute Covid-19 instead and it still works. Those things about science, politics, celebrity culture and social media are all the things that I detest. That isn't funny. It's just depressing to watch it.

I also think the talent on show is woefully underused by the script. It ought to be a far, far better film with all those actors involved.

If you want to watch it for the statement or the message, then you'll need to watch it, but don't watch it for the comedy. There's the free White House snacks gag and the gag about how the President will die, but little else.

Edit: From the Tweets on this, it seems that liking it or disliking it is extremely political in the USA. I just wanted to comment on it as a film. It is science fiction isn't it? Anyway, maybe I didn't get some of the jokes because I'm not American?

Last edited:
I've seen it on my Netflix queue,but haven't gotten around to watching it. Perhaps this weekend.

A couple of the guys in work have seen it and enjoyed it. Non of them mentioned the comedy aspect of it.

It is a great satire, but much too close to reality. If it was meant to be a allegory about climate change, just substitute Covid-19 instead and it still works. Those things about science, politics, celebrity culture and social media are all the things that I detest. That isn't funny. It's just depressing to watch it.

That's what I took from the trailer, aside from the jokes falling flat. I really don't want to watch current satire given the state of the world.

That said, is it at least thought-provoking under the surface level? Would it push some people to take introspective reflection? Then it might not be all that bad.

As I said, the comments on Twitter (and from the producers themselves) is that the film is made as a political statement, and if you agree with the statement then you cannot criticise the film. We can't discuss the politics here so I don't want us to get into any of that that. However, it is a film. It is creative art. It needs to stand up as a film and therefore it certainly can be criticised. It works brilliantly as a satire but I've certainly heard it promoted by reviewers on the radio yesterday as a "very funny comedy". There are gags in it but overall, I'd say Space Cowboys was a better comedy. I forced my wife to watch it last night on the basis it was a comedy and she didn't think much of it.

I've also seen many comparisons made to "the modern-day Dr. Strangelove". The same mirror to absurdity yes, but Adam McKay is no Stanley Kubrick! A better comparison would be to Mars Attacks!

It is also incredibly slow to start and far too long, but that's obviously just my opinion. I dislike most films much over two hours.

As I said, the comments on Twitter (and from the producers themselves) is that the film is made as a political statement, and if you agree with the statement then you cannot criticise the film. We can't discuss the politics here so I don't want us to get into any of that that. However, it is a film. It is creative art. It needs to stand up as a film and therefore it certainly can be criticised. It works brilliantly as a satire but I've certainly heard it promoted by reviewers on the radio yesterday as a "very funny comedy". There are gags in it but overall, I'd say Space Cowboys was a better comedy. I forced my wife to watch it last night on the basis it was a comedy and she didn't think much of it.

I've also seen many comparisons made to "the modern-day Dr. Strangelove". The same mirror to absurdity yes, but Adam McKay is no Stanley Kubrick! A better comparison would be to Mars Attacks!

It is also incredibly slow to start and far too long, but that's obviously just my opinion. I dislike most films much over two hours.

It looks Like UFO Conspiracy /Roswell by the numbers.

We loved it here. Watched it as a family with two very climate aware young people. We found it funny (but humour here is very very dark), we found it thought provoking (If a very obvious analogy - and not about Covid), loved the characters, and thought the ending was just perfect.
its not the firesaga but we’ll watch it again, I’m sure.

I enjoyed it. It's a satirical black comedy in the same way as Network, Veep or Wag The Dog.

Thematically, it's more Network and WTD than Strangelove, although all are far, far better movies than DLU. I'm sure there are two prominent nods to the first two in there. Mackay isn't Mamet, Kubrick or Lumet, but then... who is?

It's not the wittiest take on modern American politics and Climate Change, but I'm glad someone is at least having a go. I like a good black comedy and could do with more of them. I think it will age well. Bearing in mind the subject matter it was far less smug than expected.

I like that the satire was aimed at both sides of the political divide. In a time of hyperpartisanship, I enjoy something that points out the sheer absurdity of the whole mess of current politics and media, and DLU does that in spades. The Twitterati arguing over it are the targets of the satire, so no surprise they don't get the jokes. They're too busy looking up or down to see the big picture and missing what's really at stake.

Even the scientists cop a bit of flack as DiCaprio is seduced by fame. I wish they'd committed to that, tbh, instead of having him about face in a Networkian rant. Lawrence was underused, too. After they demeaned her character with all the internet memes she didn't really have a place to go.

I laughed out loud at a few bits (particularly the politicians on one side shouting don't look up and on the other the reverse which seemed suitably absurd, the ridiculous concert and the "fox news" finance guy still banging on about stocks even with the comet striking).

Managed, with some effort, nearly an hour before I gave up, as I found it boring, obvious, preachy and laboured. A bit of a mess, in short. I also didn't think the comedic/dramatic elements gelled.

It's a shame, as I wanted to like it. But at least it's stirred a lot of people up, which most 'message' movies fail to do.

Could not believe that Brad Pitt signed on for this tripe.

Err... he didn't.

We loved it here. Watched it as a family with two very climate aware young people. We found it funny (but humour here is very very dark), we found it thought provoking (If a very obvious analogy - and not about Covid), loved the characters, and thought the ending was just perfect.
its not the firesaga but we’ll watch it again, I’m sure.

I loved it, too. I thought it was hilarious and spot-on.

A fairly interesting movie with some amusing bits here and there. Not particularly intelligent but pokes at various present day issues, particularly on media including social media.

I found the second half dragged as it became apparent the direction they were heading in. The first half was a bit more hopeful while the second was depressing at times. Not sure if more than intended. Maybe a bit too blunt but then more people understand the message. Definitely not one for repeated watching.

I enjoyed it well enough. I found it quite funny, but it the message wasn’t overly subtle and other movies handled it better.

A good cast though, but i‘ll not watch it again.

As with the movie Idiocracy - everyone thinks it's a movie about someone other than himself

I think irrespective of what side one takes (but really, can anyone take the prezzie's side in this movie?) what it highlights is the need for co-regulation. We've suffered a trauma over the last two years as a globe rather than within tribal boundary lines. No one is addressing the societal trauma. This is the first time I've seen it done effectively. I felt the film was as a mirror held up, allowing us to see how ridiculous and completely away from the norm the past 3 years have been.

Mental health problems have become ubiquitous (or maybe we've just learnt the vocabulary to express and destigmatise it) as a result. this film really reminded me of the therapy I've experienced in terms of actually identifying trauma, because, like stress, it's usually the case that you don't know you're in the mire when you are in it. It takes a third party to really explore and help you.

That is what I think the true value of the film is. Whether right or left blame each other or say it's about them, is immaterial to me, because it's the experience, that the comet is analagous to recent threats to our global society.

That trauma must be addressed because (treading lightly here) whether that is Covid, and/or UK/EU and US politics, there's been a pefect storm and that trauma will reside in us as a society for a long time and cause division and further ignoring of the problem. These kind of movies may help ameliorate that.

For me, I enjoyed the honesty of the film, and the best way -- or one of the best ways -- to adress trauma is in satire. I've noticed on Twitter the folks who said it wasn't funny and was a waste of money etc etc, were also the ones who were acting defensively. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt and humans are experts at denial.

We talk about Wag the Dog, Idiocracy, etc, but they were of a different time. This movie is of our time, and has a lot to highlight. I daresay Mr Punch often made the Victorian elite etc unhappy but it didn't negate any of the points being made. And you can be sure that this film will be referenced in the distant future when talking about the early 21st Century, because it encapsulates our lifestyle, our lives, so effectively.

True, everything ain't for everyone (why am I using "ain't" like some Gen X blogger?), but to summarily write off this film as simply 'not funny' shows a shortcoming in the viewer as opposed to the film itself.

it encapsulates our lifestyle, our lives, so effectively.
Except if it is too similar to real life then it can't be "funny" any longer. Scientists have said that they actually had to go through those things to be listened to and to appear on TV. Politicians having parties rather than attend important meetings. And I'm absolutely certain that if the end of the world was coming, that Ariana Grande concert would be sold out.

A great satire, but the joke is on us!

Back