Farmer Giles of Ham

Extollager

I have just read, for perhaps the 10th time, this perfect story from 1949. I thought about "perfect" and decided to use the word. Really, how could it be bettered? The union of story, diction, and illustration by Pauline Baynes is completely satisfactory.
s-l640.jpg

I may have seen it described as a mock epic or burlesque fairy tale. But these expressions would mislead someone who hasn't read it. There's satire aplenty in Farmer Giles of Ham, but it is aimed at perennial foibles such as pomposity, shirking, fickleness, cunning, dishonesty, naïveté, boasting, conceit (e.g. the blacksmith's fondness for assuring everyone that gloomy things will happen), etc. These frequent moments of humor are handled in a mild and genial way, though, completely without bitterness and spite. The king is a target of satire, but Tolkien has no notion that kings as such are ridiculous, as perhaps, say, Mark Twain might have assumed. Tolkien doesn't see the Middle Ages, knights, crowns, chivalry, etc. as inherently absurd. His story is free of the common attitude of unearned and often ignorant superiority towards the past. I predict that, if (may it never be so) a TV movie or film is made of this book, the adapters will get this wrong. They may just assume, as blockheads are apt to do, that the medieval elements are somehow inherently silly. They will miss the point. Tolkien's mockery is understood aright when we feel it's as much about people like ourselves as about people of long ago. Likewise, the storytelling has fun with scholarship, but it is a real scholar having warmhearted fun about his vocation.

Incidentally, the book has a special place in my personal imaginative development. I grew up with a church background in which the Church Year was pretty minimal. There was Christmas, Palm Sunday, Easter, and perhaps Pentecost, but little more than these. Farmer Giles of Ham was perhaps my first glimpse, when I was a boy, of the more full Church Year, with its enormous riches of music, art, story, etc. Here were references to Twelfth Night (evening of January 5) and Epiphany (January 6), and the feast days of Sts. Felix and Hilary (March 16), St. Matthias (May 14), and St. Michael (the Archangel and all holy angels, September 29). To say nothing of its devotional value, the Church Calendar was and is an intriguing way to mark the passage of time, one that permeated the lives of people for centuries; and I knew next to nothing about it. But at least, thanks to Farmer Giles of Ham, I got a greater sense that there was such a thing.

I must admit to not having read Tolkien outside of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. I attempted in my younger days The Silmarillion; this was just after having completed The Hobbit and LOTR. My biggest mistake was assuming that as it was published after the Hobbit and 'Rings' that it would be a similar type of adventure, but was disappointed to find that it wasn't. I purchased a nice hardback, illustrated version some years ago which I keep promising myself I will attempt now that I am (certainly) older and (hopefully) wiser, but most importantly now know what to expect.

I've also recently purchased a nice hardback, illustrated 'Tales from the Perilous Realm', one of the stories being Farmer Giles of Ham. I am looking forward to it even more now that I have read your review above.

Inspired by this thread, I've just had a reread of this after many years. It's a wonderfully concise tale, and showcases both Tolkien's storytelling skills and his dry and academically mischievous sense of humour. I love that the ostensible reason for "translating" the tale is given as shedding light on the origin of some place-names, but "Some may find the character and adventures of its hero attractive in themselves". The Medieval-style illustrations by Pauline Baynes are perfect.

Yes. A lovely story, I read many years ago in the Poems and Stories collection, (or was it Tree and Leaf, which I've lost)

I did enjoy your review, Extollager, which I think sums it up very well.
Have you done a review of Smith of Wooton Major, which I always associate with this one, the two being associated in my mind, because I found them in the same book (s).

No, not here anyway...I might have written something for Beyond Bree, the Tolkien newsletter that has appeared regularly, once a month, for about 40 years!