Firefly to return?

I think they should leave this show as it is and not reboot or re-imagine it into a different and probably unrecognizable form.

Sounds to me like Disney will be slapping the name on a new series just to pull in the brown coat crowd. Like a mini, beetle, or FIAT 500.

Well, as for this non-conformist. I would welcome a Firefly re-boot. The series always seemed to me to be disjointed, (I know they were filmed in one order and shown in another, which probably really makes for this feeling) with characters I could not understand (More background please!), and without any real purpose (I would have loved the sub-plot to have been the main plot. The whole trading thing as a cover for resistance fighting just didn't work for me.) I would judge it about the most over-rated show ever.* Now the concept does have potential so I'll be happy to take a look. I just hope it does not resemble the original too much.

*The #1 S.F. contender for that distinction has to The Fifth Element! What a piece of trash!!!

Last edited:
The bits I've seen of "The Mandalorian" and "Loki" were pretty damn good- I don't think a Disney+ Firefly series is guaranteed to be awful if they can keep to that standard. Just annoying that it will probably never come out on DVD.

There were many unanswered questions left after Firefly finished, still some even after the film, but they were largely answered in the graphic novels. It would have been good to have had the whole story more slowly uncovered over 6-10 seasons of TV, but re-doing it again now?? I just don't know if it would work.

I don't think it will be much like the original. It is to be targeted for family watching so a lot of Mal's decision making will have to be toned down and Inara's background/job will have to be changed for a start.

I'm not sure how I feel about Joss Whedon anymore, but I don't see this working without him and the original cast (which seems very unlikely). As with Buffy, a lot of the magic of the show was driven by the ensemble chemistry and his snappy dialogue. Seems pretty difficult to replicate that.

Firefly was so dependent on the actors that any reboot lacking Nathan Fillion and Morena Baccarin would be dead in space.
Other cast (Summer Glau?) - yeah - but not vital.
And even those leads might be not be able to resurrect their previous spark.

I think the time has passed. A new story, ship and characters based in the same 'verse would work for me.

I have pretty mixed feelings on the original, which boil down to River being a deeply irritating Troubled Mary Sue, but the rest of it being pretty decent. I reckon that taking Whedon out might not be that bad a thing: his style can be good, but it can also get a bit tedious. Also, as Parson points out, the original episodes were shown in the wrong order and the show never really had an opportunity to develop itself. While it was never terribly strong stuff, a more toned-down, Disney-friendly Firefly would be a bit weak. I wonder if other shows have more-or-less done what it would do by now.

I think the time has passed. A new story, ship and characters based in the same 'verse would work for me.
I think that would be the best way to go.
They can always drop in the original characters and actors [those that are still alive] as cameo to keep the old-skool fans a little happy.

I know it isn't true, but it sure seems like every person in a position of power has abused their power. On the other hand, if someone is not a "bad actor" s/he will not make the tabloids. And actually in most circumstances, eventually, the only bad publicity is no publicity.

(Parson who believes humility to be a wondrous virtue sighs, depressed again.)

@Parson Didn't someone once say "Blessed are the humble/meek?"

Firefly, the first eight seasons of Cheers, and the first season of LOST are my favorite shows. I'd love to see a revival, but will probably be disappointed.