A Physical Book You Are Thinking About Buying

Extollager

This thread might turn out to have a long life. You can talk at length about why it appeals to you or just mention it. It could be a new book or a used book. Here's mine:

I’d like to go and get the hardback versions of Iain M. Banks Against Conside Phlebas, A Dark Background and State Of The Art as i’m missing those in my library.

I will get the next Prefect book by Alistair Reynolds and depending on how I feel about Adrian Tchaikovsky’s Shards of Earth I’ll pick up a hardback of that too.

Majority of my books are physical. Purchases in last two weeks , Jo Zebedee; The Wildest Hunt, Luke Arnold; The Last Smile in Sunder City, Tad Williams; Empire of Grass.

@elvet, The God is not Willing is brilliant. I do like Esslemont's forays into the Malazan world but Erikson is the master.

All of these look good (not sure about the Tchaikovsky, should try his stuff) but The Employees looks right up my street... I struggle with sustained reading off a screen so physical books, whether bought or from libraries, are where it's at

@nixie How is it that I'm still waiting for a Canadian author's book? Should have bought local :(
All the books I buy are physical. I do not read books on a device. Recently I bought the 14 WoT books, Academic Exercises by KJ Parker, The Hands of the Emperor by Victoria Goddard, and The Wisdom of Crowds by Abercrombie.

A few years back, I bought a book of Leni Riefenstahl’s photographs of the Nuba people in Africa. It was in German and I couldn’t understand a word but I didn’t need to because the photographs spoke for themselves. It’s now available in English translation so sometime soon, I will get myself a copy where I can actually understand the notes.

1F273C34-7129-44B0-8527-2731F66F2A08.jpeg

A

Sky Captain and the Art of Tomorrow
I have been trying to buy this books since I first heard about it, almost two years ago. I think it must have been a very small print run, as it is out of stock or unavailable everywhere I can see. There is a Delux version due out sometime next year at £80. That is a bit too steep for me.

Majority of my books are physical. Purchases in last two weeks , Jo Zebedee; The Wildest Hunt, Luke Arnold; The Last Smile in Sunder City, Tad Williams; Empire of Grass.

I have the Witcheood Crown by Tad Williams on my shelf. Loved MS&T so hoping these books hold up!

Also, have 2 actual books my wife recently read that she says I should try:
Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
The Invisible Life of Addie Larue by VE Schwab

Bradbury.jpg

I have the books included, but this would be a nice package. I wondered a few years ago when his work wasn't included in some of the Library of America science fiction volumes if something like this might be in the works.

9781598536928.jpg

I have quite a few collections, but again several of the "best" (whatever that is) in one volume would be welcome. For anyone who isn't aware of Perelman, he was an American writer of mainly comic and occasionally satiric pieces for venues like The New Yorker. He also wrote some movie scripts and plays: Perhaps apocryphal, he is reported to have been backstage talking with someone during a performance of one of his plays by the Marx Brothers when he suddenly ran off toward the wings. On returning he remarked, "I thought I heard them use one of my lines." Much of his writing sounds like how one would imagine Groucho Marx to write, though Groucho's own writings rarely sound that way.

81tABKx4zVL.jpg

I've had a chance to page through this and it's fascinating. Like Chandler before him, Macdonald thought about the mystery/detective story and what it was capable of doing. Like Chandler, he worked at his craft until it gave him a framework to hang his observations of people and society on.

Most of my new genre aquisitions is on the kindle. There's no one else in the house, anymore, who wants to share and shelf space has been running out for years

Must get Mel Brook's bio, All About Me. recently released, in a shareable form. Everybody is a big fan. Presumably there are lots of photos that would look terrible on the monochrome e-ink.
Amazon is out of stock, B&N want + ten bucks and the nearest new book store is 30 miles. This shouldn't be so difficult.

I'd like to buy a nice edition of the complete works of MR James. The latest I've found isn't his complete list, so it's a bit pointless getting it.

Aside from the usual "I want! I want!" SF and fantasy items, I'm eyeing up something on AbeBooks. "Play it again: Historic board games you can make and play" by Asterie Baker Provenzo, 1981. I read this as a child in the '80s, and was fascinated by the diagrams. Three decades later, one of my hobbies is making traditional board games. It'd be nice to get hold of the book that sowed that seed. Plus, IRRC it has the rules for Seven Men's Morris, which I can't find anywhere else.

Aside from the usual "I want! I want!" SF and fantasy items, I'm eyeing up something on AbeBooks. "Play it again: Historic board games you can make and play" by Asterie Baker Provenzo, 1981. I read this as a child in the '80s, and was fascinated by the diagrams. Three decades later, one of my hobbies is making traditional board games. It'd be nice to get hold of the book that sowed that seed. Plus, IRRC it has the rules for Seven Men's Morris, which I can't find anywhere else.

That actually looks really cool. I see a few copies of it floating on ebay.

Is that much different from Nine Men’s Morris?