Doctor Who (39) 13:05 The Flux (part 5): Survivors of the Flux.

I like the 1904 adventuring,
I'm sorry but I'm finding it more and more derivative and clichéd. Indiana Jones, Goa'ulds... another different origin story for UNIT, another different origin story for the Doctor, yet another different end for the Universe...

But others seem to like it. Everything is being thrown in for next week's finale.

Interestingly, I've expounded on the multiple big bangs/multi universe theme many times as an explanation for an ever expanding "local" Universe.

As opposed to the multi overlapping versions so popular with current SF thinking.

So from that point of view, I liked it for being different.

As for the rest of the program/story - I've given up.

More of a botch up of old enemies than anything else.

What @Dave said.

I'm struggling to remember anything specific about the episode but found myself getting iritated and bored by it (and the slapstick humour was tiresome).

I actually forgot it was on last week - that's how underwhelmed I am - and so missed the Village of the Angels. Can't see iPlayer here in Belgium but managed to see a succession of clips on YouTube (with people reviewing the show) but as far as I could tell, I didn't miss much that would add to the story arc.

I'll be tuning in next week to see how it's all resolved but suspect it will be a rushed mess...

Hoping that new Doctor (actor) equals new writer.

What's really needed is an editor with some backbone to stop the process and say 'hey, this is minging. It needs to be changed.' DW has become primarily a one or two person operation with no one with enough clout to knock their heads together.

I didn't miss much
As someone will say it (true or not), it may as well be me, so: "If you'd watched the whole episode, you'd have missed the good stuff if you'd blinked."

;):)

As it happens, I quite enjoyed it. :)

I am still hoping that when we look back on the entire Flux series, it will all make a wonderful patchwork of sense.
Please note I said Hoping - not Expecting...

As someone will say it (true or not), it may as well be me, so: "If you'd watched the whole episode, you'd have missed the good stuff if you'd blinked."

;):)

As it happens, I quite enjoyed it. :)
I think I ended up watching around 30 minutes of actual footage - some guy had it playing on a computer screen (shown in the corner of the video) as he was commentating - a bit distracting but there were subtitles on the screen he was watching so I muted it. The footage disappeared from time to time, but I got the main gist.

Well I've been enjoying Flux up to now, but this was a huge disappointment. Division was brought up this season, really built up in the previous few episodes, and all we see of it is an Ood and Tectuan. The Doctor swears to stop her adoptive mother - interesting plot point, can she go through with it? Doesn't need to as Swarm pops in to absolve her of any guilt she'll feel after whatever dire fate she had in store for her.

The 1904 stuff felt tacked on, we get an explanation for the tunnels, but not why the Victorian guy knew to build them. The mystic sketch went on too long. Humour is not Chibnall's strong suit, especially when he drags a joke on.

Then it turns out the Grand Serpent's master plan was to build up UNIT so he could... Cut its funding down the line? What? Here's a thought, if the idea is to neutralize UNIT, why not go back in time and murder the hell out of everyone who wanted it? It feels like a hasty retcon of the unpopular decision to cut UNIT for a political joke.

And suddenly Sontarans! And if the next week trailer is anything to go by, in addition to finally dealing with Swarm we have Sontarans, Daleks and Cybermen added to the mix as well. I really hope the Daleks and Cybermen are going to be background noise like they were in episode 3, or we are looking at an almighty cluster-mess of a finale.

The Ravagers are still cool villains though.

At least one good thing will come of all this.

Now be patient - it'll' come as a shock.

I'm drawing it out for effect - and surely you're all ahead of me anyway so really this will seem a bit of an anti climax for most of you.

You see...

No just in case, let me explain a bit of background. WHO nose maybe some of the writers are looking for some ideas and if they read these threads - I'm sure they must because they always adapt the script to our comments.

Well, we have every baddie and his dog about to make an entrance

Oh no they're not...

Oh yes they are...

Oh no they're not

Oh... (Keep it Festive)

(Wonder if the Toymaster will put in an appearance)

Just to clarify...

We have multi universes - yes - Check

We have someone - Mother Whobard able to move between these universes - yes - Check

Then, the scene is set.

Rose is in one of those universes and she's coming back to kick all this crap into touch.

HURRAH

...the writers are looking for some ideas and if they read these threads - I'm sure they must because they always adapt the script to our comments....

Oh no they're not...

Oh yes they are...

Oh no they're not
Yes, I'm with you! You don't think we are going to have a Christmas Doctor Who Pantomime??? :rolleyes:
Rose is in one of those universes and she's coming back
Oh! Is that all? :speechless:

After decades of watching, I've finally given up. This is indeed Doctor Who for the 21st century. I will watch this space and hope for a miracle.