Hawkeye on Disney+

ctg

weaver of the unseen
6lMDe96.jpg

Series based on the Marvel Comics superhero Hawkeye, centering on the adventures of Young Avenger, Kate M. Bishop, who took on the role after the original Avenger, Clint Barton.

Before I watch, why the bloody hell it has to be a Christmas series?

First two episode synopsis are "Archer Kate Bishop lands in the middle of a criminal conspiracy, forcing Hawkeye out of retirement" and "Clint has to help Kate disentangle herself from the Tracksuit mafia and a real-life murder mystery."

Could we not let the old man to be in retirement? He opted out from all of it, wanting to live peaceful and quietly with his family at farm, far away from anything. In that term, Thanos also did the same thing, and so did Wolverine. And they were all forced to do their stuff regardless.

It is an unfortunate pattern and I for one did expect Hawkeye to pass the bug. The way how DC has done it with Titans is far more intriguing as their approach is more mature.

Maybe at the background I have my bias on the YA stuff. So we'll see how this weekly series develops. For now I'm willing to give it a try, because Loki was excellent.

Last edited:
It slightly surprised me that the first Avengers event produced another hero, but I despised our heroine for being a rich, privileged kid. Why? Bow and arrow isn't a noble prestige that only a few can afford to do.

In fact it's much more affordable than learning to shoot firearms. The other skills, picking locks that is something that certainly privileged kids won't do, unless they are Monty, the bad kid. But I liked that she freaked out for bringing down the campus clock tower.

I guess the chequebook comes in handy for paying the damages.

MxLcmdc.jpg

Clint, I felt the same for seeing the "musical." The old lady sitting behind him nicely reflects the feeling, although in this shot she's kind of smiling. I loved that he'd turned off his hearing aid, because to be honest, I was again feeling the same. I even wanted him to turn the muffler back on. His youngest put it the best, "Why everyone is singing and dancing about thing?"

"I don't know," Clint chuckled. "I really don't know." Me neither.

But I get the Christmas theme since Old Man took family for a city trip, not really intending to do any of the Avenger stuff. He's in the daddy-o club, slippers, beer belly and all.

5caSICa.jpg

"Oh, you have always been an overachiever, but this time you managed to do the impossible." :LOL:

Mum gave a deserved bollocking, even cancelling credit cards, which must hurt in the long run. But she was quick to accept another gold medal from the misbehaving offspring. Things that you do to save your *ss when you're young are numerous, and many of them don't succeed unless the parents are total muffins.

In the poor people family, demoing the clock tower and getting caught would have had far dire consequences then cancelling the credit cards. But the Christmas Charity Party wasn't cancelled, it was expected.

Things that you can do with a fat chequebook. It was far more intriguing to watch the rich people argue over marriages as if they are still themselves as king makers. To them it part of the aristocracy. To us part of their weird ways.

The surprise crash robbery during the auction for superhero anomalies were a real surprise. But I never saw the connection between the Ronin suit and the Hawkeye.

I thought that it'd be a bad move to don the costume and that's what it turned out to be, when things are associated with memories, just because some nightmares can materialise. Especially in the Marvel universe.

So the question is, were Ronin costume a disguise for a job that Nick Fury sent Clint into?

ALjOhpc.jpg

"Who the hell are you?"

Clint was prepared to mash fist into her face for violating the Christmas peace and family time. Good thing is that the daddy phase has given him some patience. The one thing he cannot turn off is the past, especially serving time under Fury's Shield.

You have to wonder what sort of things he ended up doing, because the version we got from the Marvel's Shield is quite polished from all the dirt. I know that a lot of people don't associate Shield with the shady stuff, but that's what they did in order to get access to even more shadier stuff.

However, if the Ronin suit would have been the Punisher one, we would have immediately known the package that comes with it. Now we'll have to accept that its connected to some real bad stuff.

Oh Ms Bishop, the track record of getting involved in the bad stuff is starting to appear.

What I don't get is that if Clint committed a crime in it, why he kept it?

Why to stress over it? Nobody knows that identity behind the mask. They couldn't even identify sex in it. I guess nobody has seen boobs before.

ndysLiH.jpg

Giggles. Maybe the best scene, especially on seeing Larps going real on each other and Clint yielding to be subject in trial for combat. I thought it could only go one way with Clint and the fist meeting a movable object and some wailing afterwards.

Didn't happen. I guess we can't have violence on the Christmas, except for daddy-o getting sabre whipped by the young lady. Not that it didn't happen, even though it looked like so for Jack playing badly the sword fight.

Clint getting baseball bat on the groin area however was surprising, until I got that he allowed himself to be snatched, even the Tracksuits carried his tools for him into the base. Things that you'll learn under Fury's command ... man.

It's easy to see his plan, but the execution is lacking Hawkeye style. He was never good at asking questions.

This is good fun. Clint is a very reluctant, rather cheesed- off participant, and this is used to good effect.

Set in post-blip New York City, Hawkeye sees former Avenger Clint Barton on a seemingly simple mission: get back to his family for Christmas. Possible? Maybe with the help of Kate Bishop, a 22-year-old archer with dreams of becoming a super hero. The two are forced to work together when a presence from Barton’s past threatens to derail far more than the festive spirit.

Helmed by Rhys Thomas (pictured above, right) and directing duo Bert and Bertie, the series sees the return of Jeremy Renner as Clint and introduces Hailee Steinfeld (above left) as Kate Bishop.

We spoke to Rhys Thomas about being part of the MCU and shooting a show set at Christmas…
I mean I don’t want to be responsible for sending young kids into the thing but yeah, this is fun! It’s Marvel, it has action, but we tried to keep it quite light. It’s specifically for 12-and-a half-year-olds, that was our audience haha. No, hopefully, it’s for everyone.

I have a six-year-old and just as you asked that I was like ‘would I let her watch it?’ and I don’t think there’s anything in there I would worry about.

12 and half year olds... maybe I should stop watching then.

My first thought when I discovered how rich Kate Bishop was, was "Batman." I rather like it that she comes from a rich family. I'd expect that she's about to learn some lessons. --- As to archery being an everyman's sport.... Not so much. You need lots of time. Expensive equipment, and most of all talent, which knows no boundaries as to rich or poor. Rich can just as easily be talented as poor.

For myself I've been described as blind in one eye and can't see out of the other.

For myself I've been described as blind in one eye and can't see out of the other.
That's pretty much me. The 'good' eye is ridiculously short sighted. I'm great when it comes to things up close, without the glasses, I can see all sorts of detail. But for distance its terrible, especially at night. No way I could drive a car.

So for a budget of around 150 to 200 USD you can get a decent bow and arrows for you to start practising archery. It is not an expansive sport, unless you make it. If you're cheap, you can walk into bush and make a bushbow with a string next to nothing.

If you can see around 100 meters, you're golden. So even with bad eyes you can get into and with a good trainer you can learn how to compensate having the good eye on the bad side. It should not stop you, if you want to do it.

That's why I said that archery is not a noble sport. It is not a richman's hobby. Hawkeye's special arrows though are going to need a fat wallet. But here's the thing, how is the young female, soon to replace Clint, any different from DC's green arrow?

So for a budget of around 150 to 200 USD you can get a decent bow and arrows for you to start practising archery. It is not an expansive sport, unless you make it. If you're cheap, you can walk into bush and make a bushbow with a string next to nothing.

If you can see around 100 meters, you're golden. So even with bad eyes you can get into and with a good trainer you can learn how to compensate having the good eye on the bad side. It should not stop you, if you want to do it.

That's why I said that archery is not a noble sport. It is not a richman's hobby. Hawkeye's special arrows though are going to need a fat wallet. But here's the thing, how is the young female, soon to replace Clint, any different from DC's green arrow?
Oh that's absolutely true. But if you are going to be part of competitive archery you're going to need really, really, good equipment. Because at the top levels the difference between archers is very little. I'd compare it to tennis. If you are an elite player you can beat most anyone with an old fashioned racket (the small ones). But if you are playing another elite player the app. 1% advantage that a modern large racket gives an elite player is often telling. --- I'm no connoisseur of archery, but you don't see cheap bows in the Olympics, even regional competitions will have a great number of high end bows and arrows.

I think a lot of athletes would hire them,with sponsorship. After all, Lewis Hamilton doesn't own the F1 car he drives (though he could afford it)

Last edited:
Reactions: ctg
PkV8Jrx.jpg

A story wise the Tracksuit Mafia Boss is impressive, but you have to wonder about that dragon origin. Daddy told the little girl that they live in another world and if they come to ours, they get powerful. Also another interesting thing about her is that her origin is again in Asia and not in the Western world.

The sad thing, but also intriguing thing is to think that the lost her leg and her hearing at the same time due some war, making her as a very rare individual character seen on the small screen. But she's not a wimp. Not for taking down boxers, black belters and so on.

It is equally intriguing to see that Clint being Rogue during the blink years were a vigilante almost literally dipping into the dark side. It's just when you see him holding blade in his hands, while wearing the Ronin costume slashing and piercing opponents without a remorse, you definitely know that he was doing the same thing as DD and the Punisher.

I also admit that I was wrong in regards of the Ronin origin, blaming him on doing Fury's dirty work when I knew that Fury wasn't exactly a righteous defender like the Cpt America, because Fury had no problems on going to the dark side. After all he was a secretive leader of a black op intel group. An opponent to Hydra.

nXNoxC5.jpg

Yes Clint that's proper reflecting of your feelings. Nobody is going to come to rescue you from this hole. You have to do it or then you have to start trusting the young one. But he didn't, the only card he had in his sleeve was playing the truth and assuming that the girl was just a girl, in both cases. Clint, I would not want to be in your shoes.

The only thing that he lied about was the true identity, as if it mattered. He could have come out clean and explained that he went bonkers due to pain from the Blink event. He didn't, he escaped but not from the fight. Maybe retirement isn't an option for him because clearly he was enjoying far too much on making the mafia boys look like fools.

Boss lady, different matter and because he underestimated his opponents, more bruises including in his pride. The only way he could save his skin was on getting his hands on the bow. How the Hawkeye got his gear in the storeroom, I don't know, but after getting that weapons the game changed.

I loved the fight and the chase. Kate using trick arrows were brilliant and to be honest, a bow in a chase can be an effective, because you have to think about your shots, not just spray and pray in Hollywood style.

In the aftermath Kate tried to offer Clint a traditional Hawkeye costume, including H in his forehead, but he turned it down ... for marriatal reasons. Although I suspect if wife would have asked, it would have gone on with little bit of muttering on side. But he also revealed that he really has a huge problem with his image.

He claimed to be nothing, when the fact is whole Avengers thing put him on everyone's consciousness and he couldn't hide behind the Shield any more.

2lWKtpS.jpg

Happy New Year of 2020. They got really lucky that the lockdown had mostly emptied the streets allowing them to shoot pretty freely. But, what the hell is the story behind the Christmas Dog?

He is a character in the poster and they carry him in the narrative. But I do not approve the Pizza Dog name.

---

One question, am I barking the wrong tree on assuming that Clint is Ronin?

Last edited: