Tsunami, you think you are safe inland and up river.

If ever the word Apocalyptic was apt... This is the time.
The implacability of the advance of the waters and all that debris...
The final images of the fires in the growing dark... They are like a scene from a film. but they are real.
One thing that surprised me [or maybe not, it is Japan], there was no screaming or crying, just anxious voices.

It was worse elsewhere. The transition over these five minutes is just mind blowing.
At the beginning You think you are waaay above it. But nature gives 'relentless rise' a whole new meaning and you are looking around for a staircase.

That's just...terrifying.
This was 10 years ago - there is a follow-up report on the rebuilding.

Isn 20ll , remember the picture of the debris filled harbor with capsized boats and wrecked ships and, the outlines what looked like giant whirlpools in the water . It looked surreal, like something out an old Japanese painting.

No reports of major damage from this morning's tsunami. Some cool videos of minor coastal flooding. The rise in tides ran about 2 to 3 feet, here in Northern California.

I love this video from a 2011 Tsunami, from a Japanese earthquake, which did some damage to the Crescent City, CA harbor, about a hundred miles north of my home port.. Not nearly so overwhelming as the above videos; but I love the drama, starting at about 7 minutes in; when a fishing boat Captain, with Balls of Steel, Makes a break for open Water.

As somewhat of a Mariner myself, I can visualize myself in the Helmsman's seat, navigating a channel which is treacherous and narrow in "Normal" rough weather. And I have driven a small boat through some "Puckering" and worse conditions in similar channels, through the "Jaws" of Humboldt Bay. One hand on the throttle and the other hand on the wheel. And when the skipper cops a glance, over his shoulder, at the ashen faces of the crew; he flashes a confident grin; because if the skipper looks confident, the crew doesn't panic.
(My avatar is no idle fantasy. Arrrgh!)

Note that, had this boat been swept to the other side of that green channel marker, he would have foundered upon shallow shoals.

Last edited: