Farming simulator games?

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I've seen various farming simulator games coming up on Amazon for some time now. Has anyone ever played any of these? Are they general accessible fun or...?

Venusian Broon

Defending the SF genre with terminal intensity
Supporter
Y'know, every so often. Usually late at night after I've ended my nth campaign in Total War (electronically massacring thousands of men outside a city wall or on a bridge never gets old), don't have the energy to attempt a Factorio run, nor a Fallout/Skyrim wander, etc. I sometimes ponder whether getting Farming Simulater 20XX might be fun.

Then I look up some Let's Plays, like the ones @Vladd67 has posted and realise 1) it's actually a bit (lot!) more technical than I thought 2) It's really starting a virtual job in the same vein as all the bus, truck, or commercial plane simulators. All of these latter 'games' really don't make sense to me as ways of generating fun.

So instead this week I bought Dark Souls Remastered as I've never played a From Software game.

Purely my own perspective, but I think I've definitely made the better choice. :)

Jo Zebedee

Aliens vs Belfast.
Supporter
I used to play Hayday a lot. It was nice, distracting and easy. Then the farm got too big and became more of a commitment so I haven’t been back for a while. Poor wee animals are probably starving. Or, more likely, sitting there needing milked and sheared.

AlexH

I don't think it's quite the kind of farming sim you're referring to, but I loved Harvest Moon on the Super Nintendo. I doubt I'd play any of the modern equivalents like Stardew Valley, as I'd consider them too time consuming.

Montero

Supporter
Er, not able to picture what you are on about. Is it just making decisions about what crops to plant or summat? And then the weather turns against you?
Does it include
The tractor broke down
The agricultural suppliers ran out of fertilizer and won't re-stock until next year
Etc?