Stuck Again

Timben

However I am stuck again, can you beat that? I've written just three pages and am already stuck again. This is where I am stuck at.

"Why, Mr. Cassidy, whatever are you doing in such a nasty place?" asked Henry.

Sebastian, Zandra, Otto, and Paddy, and the Arabs laugh.

"Why don't you come down? I'll show you," said Sam.

"No thank you, my friend. I think we are all very comfortable up here," said Henry.

Henry glances around him.

"There's been a terrible mistake. Daughter, I will have you out of there in just a second,"

said Henry.

"I can't believe you would betray us. Much less yourself, father," said Iris.

I can't think of what his response would be. Any suggestions? Henry is the father.

How can you not know yourself? Where is the plot going and whose story is it? (IMO plot and story are different).

Nobody here can tell you what ‘should’ happen next because a) it’s your baby and, b) they’d need to know your story arc. For someone to know your story arc requires an investment and understanding that is a big ask.

It seems like you’ve started a story without knowing where it’s headed. If you can’t divine your character’s dialogue then how do you expect us to?

Here's a suggestion. Write three responses. They don't need to be character consistent or plot consistent, just three responses. Like trying on three different shirts.

Meanwhile, do put a bit of thought to the story. What is supposed to happen in this scene? How does it end (the scene, not the whole story)? Then you can start evaluating what response helps get the story (and the characters) to that scene end.