7.05: Fear the Walking Dead - Till Death

ctg

weaver of the unseen
ZjylWOM.jpg

With a code to guide them, Dwight and Sherry become ethical outlaws known as the Dark Horses; when Strand recruits them for a search and rescue mission, it forces them to question their code and their future.

I don't know what has gone in the writers head but Fear doesn't feel same show any longer. Shelly and Dwight doing the horseman ritual is a bit too much. Dwight thought it was a bit too much, riding out like vigilantes.

One thing that is good is that they have each other now, in love and death, till the end comes. That including taking care of their extended family, living in the storm shelter. They were concerned that it was falling apart, while D and Sherry were about keeping their family home.

To be honest, living underground, no daylight, no space can make some cabin fever monsters. And that shelter is a dark place, with not much of entertainment options. In fact, the sub in the rad storm would be a better place, considering the mental health. But the thing with their location is that they are out of the fallout zone.

To be really honest, the moment they chose to dive underground the rocket was flying over them, with the trajectory going way down range. Not on top of them. If you see a booster going like that you're fine, because the physics will deliver it elsewhere. However, if you see a smoke trail coming towards you, it might be a time to say goodbye or lock tight those bunker doors.

I get that D and Sherry were never going to sit tight in the shelter, but ...

B9Vb20m.jpg

... for them falling into this trap was an abysmal mistake. Negan thought them better and Dee was for a long time the go guy. So for him falling into this ruse is really bad. WTF AMC?

Strand couldn't hold it and he even said, "So, you're the outlaws I have heard so much. What delicious irony." But at the same time he didn't wanted to tell the couple that he'd turned complete villain. Not that Strand would have really known anything about Saviours, because I think D and Sherry like to keep that part as hidden history.

But he didn't wanted to tell them either that he was in war with Morgan. Strand claimed that he was investing in people and that he wanted to keep them "happy." Sherry rightly said that Victor Tower was anything but a sanctuary.

Maybe it's that women intuition, which is kind of strange, because Dwight is a smart man. He just doesn't want to show it, while Sherry has no problems on calling the BS as BS.

He even showed those smarts by figuring out their mark. Sherry had no clue until she heard the story, but she was the finisher, the deal maker. So two horsemen became three and it was all good, as the somehow even got the proper coloured kit for the wrestler mum.

jfVnnPQ.jpg

The shelter, seen from outside, was always a target for the hit and it is kind of surprising that it lasted as long as it did. The family was right, they should have moved on and maybe they would have survived.

Putting down the kid was hard, and I think it's third time in TWD history when we see it happening. It just I don't get why Dwight thought that delivering Mickey to Victor Tower would be a good thing. That it would fix things.

It's a good thing that Sherry thought otherwise and they split, because if he'd stuck with the girls he would have missed the family killer and learning that Strand is going full blown evil.

FeHxlL4.jpg

I like Mickey's armour, including the pan lits as shoulder pads. It could be better but at least it looks cool. It didn't get her trapped, but it wasn't really flexible either. She fought so much better without it, even doing some wrestling moves.

I really loved the fight scene. It was well done, with Lenny James sitting behind the Director's chair. I especially liked the Dear John letter and plans for the future, that doesn't include Victor Tower. So I felt really proud when he finally said that he wants to have a family.

Sherry didn't said no. She wanted life to happen. Good.

What does the Masked People really want?

I don't know what has gone in the writers head but Fear doesn't feel same show any longer. Shelly and Dwight doing the horseman ritual is a bit too much. Dwight thought it was a bit too much, riding out like vigilantes.
Yes! Shades of the Lone Ranger: "Who was that masked man?" :LOL:
I was afraid, toward the end, that Dwight and Sherry were actually going to ride off into the sunset -- that is, if they could have determined the right direction to ride in this perpetually dreary, dusty orange landscape.
I think the producers have made a huge mistake in making Victor the new villain. His dialog and pseudo-laughter are as comic as his jaunty scout leader hat.
Victor seems to have gathered a nice collection of sheep who have gladly traded their freedom of security. I doubt that he really wants to add anyone capable of seeding dissent in the flock, just rub their noses in his apparent success before they're ejected.
I suspect that the well-kept secret of tower egress/access will soon be discovered and provide a nice pathway for the walker horde to join the tower party.
The high point of this episode, for me, came when Mickey broke out her professional wrestling ring moves in the walker battle royale. The low point was Sherry's split with Dwight to help Mickey find her, as had been accurately predicted, dead husband.
Seems like there's a pattern here, unrecognized by Dwight, who actually brings up having a family with this woman. Nice expression of hope, but hardly what they need at the moment.
Maybe Dwight's dream is to become a single, stay-at-home dad.

Victor seems to have gathered a nice collection of sheep who have gladly traded their freedom of security. I doubt that he really wants to add anyone capable of seeding dissent in the flock, just rub their noses in his apparent success before they're ejected.
I suspect that the well-kept secret of tower egress/access will soon be discovered and provide a nice pathway for the walker horde to join the tower party.

The entrance has to be some sort of tunnel thing, because a robe thing would be too complicated and it would stand clear. One thing that comes in my mind is that old tower is an old bank and it has undergound access for armoured trucks or something.

If it's the only way out then when there is an outbreak inside the tower, they are effed.

The high point of this episode, for me, came when Mickey broke out her professional wrestling ring moves in the walker battle royale.
My understand is that some of the moves are illegal, like the piledriver she did with one of the Dead. Am I right?

My understand is that some of the moves are illegal, like the piledriver she did with one of the Dead. Am I right?
Is anything illegal in professional wrestling (which is only marginally more "real" than reanimated corpses)? :LOL:

I suppose some may watch it as a sport; others, as form of entertainment.
I think this article does a good job of defining pro wrestling.

Reactions: ctg
I liked this episode, even get the vigilante thing; they want to atone for being caught up with Negan.

Sherry's face and response when Strand called the tower a sanctuary said it all.

Victor hiring that guy to kill the family was a bad mistake, it showed Dwight what Sherry already knew, he is becoming a Negan.

Mickey is a good addition, I laughed at the wrestling thing, took me back to when my son was younger and obsessed with WWE, cost me a fortune when they came to UK.

"I think it's the moment when Dwight sees those Polaroids with Eli, and he realizes that taking any kind of deal with Strand is tantamount to throwing in with Negan at the Sanctuary," co-showrunner Ian Goldberg explained on Fear the Walking Dead Episode Insider. "It is just a new iteration of that, and he will not let himself go there again."

Daryl (Norman Reedus) exiled Dwight from Virginia after Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) captured Negan to end the Savior War in The Walking Dead's Season 8, spurring Dwight's cross-country search for Sherry after she escaped the Sanctuary and disappeared during Season 7.

"There's just a lot of mistrust that plays on Dwight's own trauma from his past, what happened with Negan, and he's rightfully suspicious of Strand's motives," Goldberg said. "There is Strand looking to hunt down someone who escaped The Tower and saying that he has her best interests at heart. Seeing what Strand does to the Larsons speaks volumes about what Strand is willing to do to get what he wants."

The showrunner added of the Vic-tatorship: "This harkens back to the Strand that we saw throw Will off the roof in 'The Beacon.' This Victor Strand is not above doing some very morally gray actions to preserve what he's built and to hold on to who he's become."

705 is "a great showcase episode for Dwight and Sherry, but also for Aisha Tyler," Fear co-showrunner Ian Goldberg said on Fear TWD Episode Insider. "[Director] Lennie [James] brought fun to it with the wrestling component. This sequence was probably the most number of fun conversations we had, but there were certain things that we knew we wanted to get in there."

Goldberg and co-showrunner Andrew Chambliss knew Fear's first-ever Walkermania match would need "a walker's head bashed into a turnbuckle, we need the steel chair, we need the piledriver."

"We knew we wanted it to culminate with the 'Till Death Do Us Part,'" added Goldberg. "Dwight gets to work in tandem with Mickey to perform 'Till Death Do Us Part,' the ultimate finishing move of Dearly Beloved, which is just this beautiful moment of Dwight getting to kind of live a childhood fantasy."

The wrestling scene really polarised people. Some thought it was brilliant, some thought it was funny and some was so irked that they're ready to quit.

I don't think I'll ever find Strand as threatening as Negan.
No, but I do like the idea it encourages, that anyone can become a dictatorial despotic demagogue, without necessarily being an evil person.
His dialog and pseudo-laughter are as comic as his jaunty scout leader hat.
I agree, as it detracts from that idea. Either he is a fool or he has lost the plot mentally. If so, then would his people still follow him? Hmm! On second thoughts....

Is that a US scout hat? It looked like a Forage Cap to me, the kind favoured by Idi Amin. I thought it was meant to give a visual clue that Victor was a dictator in a similar vein to him?
The low point was Sherry's split with Dwight to help Mickey find her, as had been accurately predicted, dead husband.
It didn't seem likely Sherry and Dwight would split up, even if they disagreed. We've just had little speeches about how they had crossed continents looking for each other, fuelled only by their love for each other, but yet they will split up because of an argument over Strand?

Is that a US scout hat? It looked like a Forage Cap to me, the kind favoured by Idi Amin. I thought it was meant to give a visual clue that Victor was a dictator in a similar vein to him?
I don't know who had it first -- the BSA or Idi. With Stand's ego and mental instability, I would expect something more like the headwear Gaddafi sported:

1638198698756.png

• Haha
Reactions: ctg