New book(s) from Alastair Reynolds

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
I've not seen mention of this on the Chrons but interesting for Reynolds fans:

From his blog:
"Last week I completed the first set of revisions on Eversion, and the novel (now around 85,000 words) has now gone back to my editor. If all goes smoothly, there will be one more round of edits then the book will go into production for 2022. A few weeks before that, I also finished a novelette which I've submitted to the marketplace.

Unavoidable production delays have pushed back the Belladonna Nights collection a little, but it should be with us soon. It's a difficult time in publishing with supply chain and distribution issues, as has been widely reported.

In the meantime, I'm working on two things: a new novella, and also the next novel, which all parties have now agreed will be the third "Prefect Dreyfus" book. This one, if all goes well, will be out in 2023 (not 2024 as I originally wrote). And, for those that are interested, this is the one that will resolve the Clockmaker thread from the previous two novels. I don't yet have a title."

And from Hatchett books the blurb on Eversions:

"From the master of the space opera, Alastair Reynolds, comes a dark, mind-bending SF adventure spread across time and space, Doctor Silas Coade has been tasked with keeping his crew safe as they adventure across the galaxy in search of a mysterious artifact, but as things keep going wrong, Silas soon realizes that something more sinister is at work, and this may not even be the first time it's happened.

In the 1800s, a sailing ship crashes off the coast of Norway. In the 1900s, a Zepellin explores an icy canyon in Antarctica. In the far future, a spaceship sets out for an alien artifact. Each excursion goes horribly wrong. And on every journey, Dr. Silas Coade is the physician, but only Silas seems to realize that these events keep repeating themselves. And it's up to him to figure out why and how. And how to stop it all from happening again."

I must confess that I've read very little Alistair Reynolds outside of his Revelation Space series. Century Rain, which was okay.

I really want to read House of Suns, though. Perhaps a reading goal for 2022.

I must confess that I've read very little Alistair Reynolds outside of his Revelation Space series. Century Rain, which was okay.

I really want to read House of Suns, though. Perhaps a reading goal for 2022.

I think House of Suns is probably my favourite stand along of his.

I've not seen mention of this on the Chrons but interesting for Reynolds fans:

From his blog:
"Last week I completed the first set of revisions on Eversion, and the novel (now around 85,000 words) has now gone back to my editor. If all goes smoothly, there will be one more round of edits then the book will go into production for 2022. A few weeks before that, I also finished a novelette which I've submitted to the marketplace.

Unavoidable production delays have pushed back the Belladonna Nights collection a little, but it should be with us soon. It's a difficult time in publishing with supply chain and distribution issues, as has been widely reported.

In the meantime, I'm working on two things: a new novella, and also the next novel, which all parties have now agreed will be the third "Prefect Dreyfus" book. This one, if all goes well, will be out in 2023 (not 2024 as I originally wrote). And, for those that are interested, this is the one that will resolve the Clockmaker thread from the previous two novels. I don't yet have a title."

And from Hatchett books the blurb on Eversions:

"From the master of the space opera, Alastair Reynolds, comes a dark, mind-bending SF adventure spread across time and space, Doctor Silas Coade has been tasked with keeping his crew safe as they adventure across the galaxy in search of a mysterious artifact, but as things keep going wrong, Silas soon realizes that something more sinister is at work, and this may not even be the first time it's happened.

In the 1800s, a sailing ship crashes off the coast of Norway. In the 1900s, a Zepellin explores an icy canyon in Antarctica. In the far future, a spaceship sets out for an alien artifact. Each excursion goes horribly wrong. And on every journey, Dr. Silas Coade is the physician, but only Silas seems to realize that these events keep repeating themselves. And it's up to him to figure out why and how. And how to stop it all from happening again."
Hi, my favorite Alastair Reynolds stories thus far are "Diamond Dogs", "Pushing Ice", and "Chasm City". So what are your thoughts on "Eversion"..?

Hi, my favorite Alastair Reynolds stories thus far are "Diamond Dogs", "Pushing Ice", and "Chasm City". So what are your thoughts on "Eversion"..?
My favourite of his is possibly House of Suns. Eversions sounds very interesting and I'll certainly be getting it when it comes out. He is could at coming up with some well out there ideas!

Pleased with the thought of a new Dreyfuss novel.
Yes I'm rather looking forward to this one as well!

Vertigo, another author I'm very fond of is Dean Koontz -- the descriptives in his writing style are very well crafted -- I'm thinking of Life Expectancy, Seize the Night, Fear Nothing, and his Frankenstein series -- these are my favorites so far.

From Alastair Reynolds blog:
Last week I delivered MACHINE VENDETTA, the third in the Prefect Dreyfus series. All being well, it should appear in 2023. I don't want to say too much more about it until at least the final round of editing (which won't be finished until well until next year) but here at least is the provisional cover copy, subject to change:

Panoply is a small, efficient police force, dedicated to maintaining the rule of democracy among the ten thousand disparate city states orbiting the planet Yellowstone.

Ingvar Tench was one of Panoply's most experienced operatives. So why did she walk alone and virtually unarmed into a habitat with a vicious grudge against her organisation?

As his colleagues pick up the pieces, Dreyfus must face his conscience. Four years ago, when an investigation linked to one of his most dangerous adversaries got a little too personal, Dreyfus arranged for Tench to continue the enquiry by proxy.

In using her - even though he had his reasons - did Dreyfus also put her in the line of fire?

And what does Tench's misadventure tell him about an enemy he had hoped was dormant?

The book marks the end of my ten-novel contract, and since I've stated my intention to do standalones for at least the next few years, it's also the last word on both Dreyfus and the Revelation Space universe for the foreseeable.

Thanks for posting, Vertigo. A new Revelation Space novel is a definite buy for me.

Interesting that he says now his contract is complete he plans to focus on standalones and that will be it for both Dreyfus and Revelation Space for the foreseeable. A bit sad in a way but He does write good stand alone novels so I'll be looking forward to seeing what he comes up with next!

I didn't care for the second Dreyfus novel - the technology didn't seem to make much sense. Some of his other books also seem oddly unsophisticated, like Slow Bullets. However, his new time travel novella Permafrost is excellent.

I didn't have a huge problem with the technology but I'd agree that permafrost was better. There's also Eversion which I've not read yet.

I didn't have a huge problem with the technology but I'd agree that permafrost was better. There's also Eversion which I've not read yet.
I meant that many of the events in the novel occurred because of what seemed to be pointless or farfetched technical issues.