The Mammoth Book of Golden Age Science Fiction

AE35Unit

]==[]===O °
41090.jpg

An ok collection of early SF novellas. One or two gems (Time Wants a Skeleton by Ross Rocklynne, Nerves by Lester del Rey, No Woman Born by C. L. Moore, and With Folded Hands,Jack Williamson), the rest, not much to write home about.

"Time Wants a Skeleton" by Ross Rocklynne. Very good time travel story set in the world of asteroid mining.
"The Weapons Shop", A. E van Vogt.
Hmm not a great story from this legendary sf author.
"Nerves" by Lester del Rey. Nice story set around an accident in a nuclear power plant.
"Killdozer!" by Theodore Sturgeon. A fun tale of a bulldozer gone mad.
"No Woman Born", C. L. Moore (wife of Henry Kuttner), she was among the first women to write science fiction.
Good story about a female android though I didn't quite get the ending.
"The Big and the Little" by Asimov, a Foundation story. Not the most exciting read but that's just me. I prefer his robot stories.
"Giant Killer" by A. Bertram Chandler. Can't give a review without giving the game away. Just a very different story which,at first, I thought didn't belong in this book. But it does.
"E for Effort" by T.L. Sherred.
A story about a device that can make films of past events, and a plan to make it big in Hollywood.
"With Folded Hands" by Jack Williamson.
A manufacturer of 'mechanicals', simple robots, has his world turned upside down when he is greeted by a sentient humanoid.
Probably the best story yet! One of the few in this collection I would read again.

Sounds a good anthology . :cool:

Check out

Before the Golden Age edited by Isac Asmov:cool:

Galactic Empire Volume I and 2 edited Brain Aldiss :cool:

I’ve picked up a few anthologies of early SF for my kindle. Even when some of them aren’t so good, they can still be kind of fascinating:)

I think the next anthology to read is my signed copy of Dangerous Visions!

A classic .:cool:

The intros to that one are fun to0. I especially like the one where Isaac Asimov describes his first ever meeting Harlan Ellison. It's hilarious ! :D

A classic .:cool:

The intros to that one are fun to0. I especially like the one where Isaac Asimov describes his first ever meeting Harlan Ellison. It's hilarious ! :D
Is that where Ellison approaches a lady and asks what she would say to a little f***. To which the lady replies, goodbye, little f***...