Gull Eats Rabbit

Wow. I wonder if it could even take off after that.

Over the summer I saw a herring gull (smaller than the great black-backeds in the video) wrestle two whole leftover scones down its throat in a tea-room garden. It then had to bring one of them back up.

I saw this first on Twitter last week. Some people said it was faked (but doesn't appear to be). Others gave examples of gulls eating whole eggs, crabs, large fish and even other birds. This looks like a baby rabbit, so possibly not as unusual as it first seems.

I've watched gulls swallow herrings and then explode.

This was the mid 1960s and me and some mates were watching the older boys ( age about 10-12) at the harbour side.

They had got hold of a can of carbide from the nearby railway sheds and then they'd grabbed a pile of herrings from the fishing boats unloading.

Basically they were squirting a dollop of carbide into the fishes mouths and throwing them into the air, the gulls were snatching them mid flight and gulping them right down.
A couple of hundreds yards of circling around and KaBOOM!

This went on until an irate dock worker chased them, those horrible images haunted me for a long time

I'm not surprised to be honest. By the way there's no such thing as a seagull. They're just gulls
They’re seagulls where I come from. It is the common vernacular term.

Last edited:
A New Scientist article that has stuck, horribly, in my mind for years: apparently, deer and sheep on small islands don't get enough calcium in their diet. They make up for it by eating the leg bones of seabird chicks. Just the bones. Maybe that cow was just craving a nice glass of milk?

Domesticated sheep and cattle are usually given tubs of minerals to lick - which aren't cheap. It's generally what is in those orange and green oblong plastic buckets you might see in fields. In the wild they can range around to find their own - like this amazing video of Ibex.

And on a darker note, it was increasing the protein content of cattle feed cheaply (by putting in dubious sources of protein) that lead to mad cow disease, from what I remember.

I saw this first on Twitter last week. Some people said it was faked (but doesn't appear to be). Others gave examples of gulls eating whole eggs, crabs, large fish and even other birds. This looks like a baby rabbit, so possibly not as unusual as it first seems.
I love how we go from "pics or it didn't happen" to seeing the video and then shrugging and saying "that's fake"

but yeah, I saw that video, it blew my mind...

Isn't nature wonderful :sick:
I constantly tell my friends that nature is not a Disney cartoon, nature is a cruel cold-hearted b*tch that is constantly trying to kill you at every turn. It's just that as human beings, we specialize in creating artificial environments to suit our needs and we forget what "real" nature is really like.

Same with the animals. All those "cute" and "adorable" animals would rip your throat out and drink your blood if they could. You think that cat is adorable. Well, if that cat was 10x bigger it would regard you as lunch.