Dune - Preferable edition?

Elckerlyc

"Philosophy will clip an angel's wings."
My 1974 paperback copy of Dune is falling apart. Total disintegration is imminent.
I need a new copy, because life without Dune on my bookshelf is unthinkable. Unimaginable. Unbearable.

My old copy - what is left of it - is in Dutch. However, I decided that my new copy should be in English. But what is a good edition, either paperback or hardcover? I heard that there are editions that still contain the typo's from 50 years back.
Any suggestions?

My 1974 paperback copy of Dune is falling apart. Total disintegration is imminent.
I need a new copy, because life without Dune on my bookshelf is unthinkable. Unimaginable. Unbearable.

My old copy - what is left of it - is in Dutch. However, I decided that my new copy should be in English. But what is a good edition, either paperback or hardcover? I heard that there are editions that still contain the typo's from 50 years back.
Any suggestions?

Buy a good hardcover edition , then yo'll have it for longer.

Buy a good hardcover edition , then yo'll have it for longer.
Yes, it would.

Amazon (NL) has 2 versions:
Edition Gollancz, published Sept-2021. EUR 26.99.
"This edition however has a notable amount of spelling mistakes and grammatical errors."
"Great looking book, but I don't know if this was intentional but the writing on the spine is upside down?"

Edition Ace, published Oct-2019. EUR 35.45.
"Only down side is that the cover is made from very cheap cardboard and the text on the spine faces the opposite direction to all my other English language books."

I have the hardback illustrated version on the shelves, but i always had a soft spot for the paperbacks with the Pennington cover art and the epic panoramic art that spanned the entire series books in the 90's. (I don't know who the artist is.)

the-dune-series-of-sci-fi-novels-by-frank-herbert.jpg

Dune Panorama.jpg

Bick's been collecting the first editions, which i find very impressive and i'm a little jealous.

I have the hardback illustrated version on the shelves, but i always had a soft spot for the paperbacks with the Pennington cover art and the epic panoramic art that spanned the entire series books in the 90's. (I don't know who the artist is.)

View attachment 83499

View attachment 83500

Bick's been collecting the first editions, which i find very impressive and i'm a little jealous.
These are my favourites.

There is currently a hardback sf masterworks edition which is quite nice

Nice. I dare say you could get a nice little collection of Dune books if you were of a mind to.

Nice. I dare say you could get a nice little collection of Dune books if you were of a mind to.
Thanks. :)
I could, but AFAIK there are no recent hardcover editions of Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. Only a version with the first 3 novels in one volume, which would be unwieldy with over 900 pages.
To get a collection together I would have to resort to used copies and possible even copies of different publishers. And even that will be costly, of which I am not certain it will be worth it at the end of day.

… AFAIK there are no recent hardcover editions of Dune Messiah and Children of Dune.
No, but as it happens this just arrived for me in the mail:

1636849126001.jpeg

Lovely jubbly.

Heretics of Dune, first edition, first impression, in near-mint condition also now acquired:

1636849238110.jpeg

The other 4 books in the series still slouching towards New Zealand to be read.

I now also have these first editions:

childrendune-MB copy.jpg
godemperor_mb copy.jpg
chapterhouse_mb copy.jpg

Quite happy with them. I'm not sure if its clear from the pictures, due to the plastic dustcover wraps which give some reflection, but the Children and God Emperor books are essentially mint condition. Chapterhouse is 'very fine'.

Now just waiting on Dune itself. I have ordered a HB edition, but not a true first edition, as I'm not a billionaire, or a first BC edition, as they are still quite pricey. But I'll be keeping an eye out for a BC one at a steal over the coming years... it's good to have a hobby.

All the Dune books I ordered have now arrived. This is my collection of Dune books, on the shelf:

1638748927634.jpeg

I like.

One day I'll try to get an original Dune (Bookclub edition of course), but I actually like how this 1990 HB of Dune released by Putnum matches the text and design of all their first editions (with the exception of their Dune Messiah).

Last edited:
I have those exact Putnam editions. If you can find it at a reasonable price the Dune Encyclopedia would round that out nicely. That and the Dune Illustrated edition.
The Dune Encyclopedia is really expensive on eBay. But, yes, I would love to have that. Which illustrated edition of Dune are you thinking of?

I just took another shot of my new babies:
MyDuneCollection.jpg

Do you have the encyclopedia, Vince? Post a shot of your Dune books, if that's easy, I love to admire other collections. Ian Sales has a crazily impressive collection.

I've read Dune only once, so long ago that when isn't recorded; I began to record my reading thus in Jan. 1974. But the edition I like is the old Ace paperback that is illustrated here:

I value it largely for the early attempt to market the book by appealing to Tolkien's popularity. The cover art is appealing, too. And, well, it's a vintage Ace sf paperback.

Last edited:
The Dune Encyclopedia is really expensive on eBay. But, yes, I would love to have that. Which illustrated edition of Dune are you thinking of?

I just took another shot of my new babies:
MyDuneCollection.jpg

Do you have the encyclopedia, Vince? Post a shot of your Dune books, if that's easy, I love to admire other collections. Ian Sales has a crazily impressive collection.
I do have the encyclopedia. I bought it when it was first published and at the time it was the most expensive book I had ever purchased. I had meant to send it to McNelly for a signature but never got around to it.

The Illustrated Dune.
iu