The Book of Boba Fett - Chapter 1 - Stranger in a Strange Land

ctg

weaver of the unseen
u2AGWA6.jpg

The episode is short, running time standing at around 35 minutes.

Abandoned, dissolved, robbed by Jawas, slaved by sand people but Bobba got out the Scarlet Pit pretty soon after he landed in it. The surprise bit was that it wasn't exactly dancing on roses, when he got out. For the badass bounty hunter he certainly got played by all parties, but since he ain't a Force User, troubles is all he could endure.

Honestly, the scars on his face isn't from the pit, but something else, which makes it curious as he was almost always covered in armour. Also it doesn't make sense that he would survive Tatoiiene's twin suns sitting on outside, tied to a pole, guarded by an alien massiff, but he did as if he's the lucky *******.

vUWbjkN.jpg

Bloody alien bastards. If they haven't given him any fluids it's no wonder why he went down so easily. Almost without putting on a fight. So abandoned, dissolved, robbed by Jawas, slaved by Sand People, nibbled by a dog and beaten by a girl. When life gives you lemons, they are super bitter. That's all I can say.

But he ain't Tony Soprano, dealing with the panic attacks and other mental monsters. There isn't anybody after his sorry bottom. Not after he got the armour back. The sad bit is that we don't get to see more about what happened then as the episode moved to the present day. But as a dream sequence, it was well done.

dkBTtYU.jpg

Maybe more curious thing is that they gave an explanation for why Jabba needed a protocol droid in the first place through the audience that came to pay their tribute to new Daimyo. According to the dictionary, it makes him a feudal lord, not a warlord, and taken that his lands are former Hutt territory it kind of makes sense. The only problem is that daimyo's bend their knee to a Shogun. So who is his boss?

Vader and the Emperor weren't ever his bosses. They were his clients. And he showed that he's not to be disrespected when Mos Espa's Mayor Majordome misbehaved. It's just you don't take place in Hutt space willy nilly, when there's other bosses around. And the only way to retain his face was to act insolence with another one.

I, in his shoes, would have dropped the ******* into the dungeons, chained him up and sent back a little finger as a tribute and a message. Especially as Gamorreans were on the next offering, but Boba said, "I do not torture."

To which 8D8 replied, "...respecfully, Lord Fett, on Tatooine you must project strength if you are to be accepted as a Daimyo." That is the same fact that applies to our civilisation and the criminal underworld. Even Heisenberg had to do it.

"Jabba ruled with fear. I intend to rule with respect." Sure boss but it's ain't the way of how the business is handled in the criminal underworld. They need a show of strength before they accept the rule through respect. Which is exactly what he did when the assassins tried to take him out at the market square.

qH2mp1I.jpg

"Alive," Boba said and Fennec delivered. What I don't get was why he were so weak for needing a bacta tank after the short tussle until I saw that the sand people really didn't take care of their slaves. He had to kill a sand creature to get some of that respect. That is what he needs to do again in my honest opinion. Alive is not good enough.

Quite similar to many of the Mandalorian episodes then. Those that were longer just had more filler.
If you have seen the Mandalorian you will feel homey in this one. It is exactly the same format, expect in this one Mr Fett is trying to break bad.

Outstanding!
As a card-carrying member of the masses, I appreciate all pure entertainment like this sent my way. Just cover things with sand, rust and grime, set them on Tatooine, and they've got me.
Watching Under the Helmet: The Legacy of Boba Fett after the episode was an added treat.

The moisture collecting farm looked like Luke's uncle's farm, but there must be other ones in that desert? Was it the one?

Money-saving set recycling?
Well, it's permanently in that Namibian desert and Disney certainly have a money to make the trip, but since they've so many references to said moisture farm, I think it's stock footage recycling. They might even had the doorframe and then rest of it that screen technology.
Regardless it kind of fit the theme, but so far we already know that Luke's uncle should be dead since this is five years after the first trilogy. And Boba came across it in his PTSD nightmares, but by time that had happened it was already too late to do anything and why would he have bothered doing anything, since he could do nothing. It would've been too risky business.

If we next see Maul lurking about then we know that this series ties to Obi-Wan. But it only can happen in his memories as Old Man Maul ended, while Uncle Owen was still alive.

I was less than thrilled by this for a few reasons.
(1) Too many flashbacks! -- I hope we are not going to spend the next weeks in flash back mode, but it wouldn't surprise me.
(2)
Why would Boba want to take over the Jabba Hutt empire? Isn't he a bounty hunter? Of course my feelings for this are strong because I HATE stories which make immoral people the heroes.
(3) We (or at least I) don't have a clue where the assassin accompanying him comes from or what their relationship really is. --- I Googled and came up with a name Fennec Shand, and a back story that obviously is not from the movies. If this series follows the Wookiepedia backstory, this is going to be another character I'm going to have a hard time liking.

The moisture collecting farm looked like Luke's uncle's farm, but there must be other ones in that desert? Was it the one?
I thought so, too. Money-saving set recycling?
Well, one arson attack made to look like Tusken Raiders would be an accident, but two would make the moisture farm insurance sky-rocket!

It was a little underwhelming considering what they did with Mando from the beginning. I don't think an elderly Boba and his new companion can carry a whole series like this so let's hope other characters can help pick it up.

. I don't think an elderly Boba and his new companion can carry a whole series like this so let's hope other characters can help pick it up.
True they can't but we'll have to bear in mind that Boba is still in pain, but if nothing else he has to get better at the game or he'll get to be a footnote in the Underworld history. He is still learning tricks of his trade, but the way he's going about it at the moment is perilous.
Well, one arson attack made to look like Tusken Raiders would be an accident, but two would make the moisture farm insurance sky-rocket!
I don't think they'll sell insurances in Tatoiine, only protection racket options. Either that or you'll be a badass since the planet is middle of the Hutt space. It's like a wild west with some law and order, but not really a great deal so that they would be influence on anything. So, you'd think that the water shipments and moisture farms would be heavily protected in arid conditions. But they are not and everyone can just waltz around doing all sorts of things.

I wonder will they'll ever expose how the water business is handled in there?

...since the planet is middle of the Hutt space. It's like a wild west with some law and order, but not really a great deal...
I was actually thinking to myself on how this story, and also some of the Mandalorian, would work equally well as a Western (or a Japanese epic samurai drama).

Okay, so you'd need to lose the "magical" and "one all-powerful Force controlling everything", the weird creatures, and to swap the aliens for human ethnicities, but the desert settings, one-horse towns, bar rooms, sheriffs, corrupt mayors, robber barons, cattle rustlers and bank robbers would fit it nicely. These were the same stories that Joss Whedon would have tried to tell in Firefly had it not been so abruptly cancelled.

Reactions: ctg
First half/two-thirds were great and it’s a smart move to include the humour. Boba’s effective personality was gazumped by Mando so it’s nice to see them making him different.

I like that he’s been made somewhat noble but I suspect there’ll be a lot of angry fanboys blaming Kathleen Kennedy for making Boba ‘good’ (she seems to be the whipping horse for neckbeards).

I thought the ending scene was DREADFUL.

I couldn’t decide if I was watching Clash of the Titans ir some other Ray Harryhausen film. Why ANOTHER sand behemoth? Tatooine has sarlaccs and krayt dragons AND NOW THE YMIR/KRAKEN?!? The creature design didn’t fit in the SW universe at all, let alone Tatooine!

(And some of those male chorals… I actually laughed and started singing Pah-rup a pum pum)

First half/two-thirds were great and it’s a smart move to include the humour. Boba’s effective personality was gazumped by Mando so it’s nice to see them making him different.

I like that he’s been made somewhat noble but I suspect there’ll be a lot of angry fanboys blaming Kathleen Kennedy for making Boba ‘good’ (she seems to be the whipping horse for neckbeards).

I thought the ending scene was DREADFUL.

I couldn’t decide if I was watching Clash of the Titans ir some other Ray Harryhausen film. Why ANOTHER sand behemoth? Tatooine has sarlaccs and krayt dragons AND NOW THE YMIR/KRAKEN?!? The creature design didn’t fit in the SW universe at all, let alone Tatooine!

(And some of those male chorals… I actually laughed and started singing Pah-rup a pum pum)
Harsh man, harsh. It's interesting the fanboy complaints about Boba's personality are about exactly the opposite of mine. I'm more in your camp.

I'm in two minds about BBF so far. The dialogue makes me roll my eyes in parts. The casting of Matt Berry's voice and the mayor's aide was pure holiday special. The transition of BF can go from Vader telling him "no disintegrations" in ESB as though he's made a name for obliterating and slaving about the galaxy in Slave-1, to becoming a cuddly good guy who wants to rule out of respect instead of fear in BBF is, uh, quite a 180. I expect Favreau and Filoni will no doubt fill in the gaps in his character arc and provide some good character development. Not that it really matters.

But, you know, I'm a 40+ adult and this is Disney Kung Fu for Gen-A. I can't really begrudge Disney wanting to make a cool kids action series with mild peril and a cool guy in cool space armour. Let 'em have it, I say.

I have to applaud it's embrace of space fantasy, silliness and all - which brings me onto....

I'm guessing that bit was a deliberate tribute to Harryhausen. I kind of appreciated it and kind of thought it was daft. Which I kinda liked. It's like F&F are just having fun with the whole thing and treating it as it should be - silly Saturday morning action adventure.

Back