Beer Hall Putsch – My Tenth Attempt - Bowler1
Don't forget to say 'Happy Thanksgiving' to the toaster – AnRoinnUltra
How to Communicate Gratitude in Plutonian – Guttersnipe
Harvest Festival – nixie
John - BT Jones
Respite – Daysman
Family Man – Provincial
*** Pariah - Justin Swanton ***
Put a Little Love in Your Heart and the World Will be a Better Place – Starbeast
The [Secret] Anthem of the AI Servitors - The Judge

@Ursa major .... Foresight Saga: The Lost Kingdom .... Isn't it amazing how much you miss when you aren't sufficiently grateful?
*Parson wonders about a Forsyte Saga pun.

@Perpetual Man .... The Dictator: Deluded Justification .... An interesting take on why you should be grateful because there is nothing so bad that there isn't some good in it.

My vote has gone to Synesthesia, but Don't forget to say 'Happy Thanksgiving' to the toaster and Gratitude Day made me wish I had more than one vote. That being said, I enjoyed reading many more than these, but those are my top picks.

My vote went to @Betok_Haney, whose lovely reflection on the up-side to dementia made me feel quite hopeful for the future! The story was the first among equals, however, and I was delighted to see that all the others I considered voting for had already received a vote from someone else.

Here are mine for the week. Lots of great stories but had only time to narrow down the top 3 and the winner.

@Astro Pen - Cold gold - a story worthy of the most discriminating palette
@nixie - Harvest Festival- a fresh take on an old myth
@Betok_Haney - a tale of dying that I hope to live on day

@BT Jones - John - a sweet tale about a life of service and gratitude

I really liked The Mechanics of Nirvana and Note For Amy. Won’t say which one I voted for though ;)

Starbeast: Thank you for a wry look at more than one genre.

M. Robert Gibson: Thank you for an adventurous tale of sword and sorcery.

The Judge: Thank you for a poetic look at an unsuspected danger.

therapist: Thank you for a fantasy story with a unique concept.

Ursa major: Thank you for a taste of the importance of small changes.

Perpetual Man: Thank you for profound insight into the psychology of oppression.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Short List:

JS Wiig

Cat's Cradle

nixie

Simbelmynë

Parson

Wayne Mack

Hugh

Bartok_Haney

Justin Swanton

VOTE:

Dan Jones

Last edited:
Shortlist:
Of Hope & Gratitude: A Writer's Story by Bren G
Don't forget to say 'Happy Thanksgiving' to the toaster by AnRoinnUltra
John by BT Jones
The [Secret] Anthem of the AI Servitors by The Judge

Vote:
Bequest by Dan Jones

Thanks Johnneyjet!

Here's my shortlist. I just chose stories that I liked without that necessarily implying the others are inferior to them. My vote went to The Judge - I liked the theme and the poetry was really effective.

Astro Pen – Cold Gold
Cat’s Cradle – Synthesia
DF17 – Little Cynthia
Parson – The Attitude of Gratitude
Johnnyjet - Thanksgiving Day, Pluto, 2121 AD
Venusian Broon – Note for Amy
Provincial – Family Man
The Judge - The [Secret] Anthem of the AI Servitors
Therapist – Gratitude Day

Last edited:
A lot of great stories this month, but more than a fair few I didn't understand (must be too late in the year for my poor head to process). Yes, it's a huge list, but there were so many honorable mentions that I just had to give credit to.

Honorables
Shortlist

Winner

Good theme this month, and well done all to the entries. There were several others who could've made the top ten but I do try to be selective, and these were my absolute favourites.

So, top ten:

@Mon0Zer0 - thanks be to the earth.
@AnRoinnUltra - thanks be to the machines!
@Valtharius - thanks be to Brian Turner, and glory be to his name!
@mosaix - thanks be to lubricant...
@Hugh - thanks be to beauty
@chrispenycate - thanks be to those who make the right decisions, for there but for the grace of God go I.
@Betok_Haney - thanks be to the small things.
@Venusian Broon - thanks be to the babysitters, who do a good job all things considered.
@Phyrebrat - thanks be to those who keep their promises, and keep us to ours
@The Judge - thanks be to such verisimilitude, delievered with such pulchritude.

Any other month, I could have given my vote to The Judge, VB, or particularly Chrisp's, whose entry rocked me onto my heels. Those three were very good indeed.

But how can I deny the delicious satire of having my own name taken in vain? Bribery of the highest degree, perhaps, but who cares? Valtharius of course gets my vote!

Back