DISCUSSION THREAD -- November 2021 -- 75 Word Writing Challenge

AnRoinnUltra

Supporter
FYBI I have a story in the challenge
Good stuff, that's the spirit;) What does FYBI mean?, the internet just shrugged it's shoulders when I asked. I thought your story was class in terms of writing structure, imagery and just the flow of the words -ashamedly I know there was a reference in there which went sailing off into the sound without my mind ...and the computer anthem entry was just deadly!

Bowler1

Senile Supporter
Supporter
Thank you JonnyJet for the mention, appreciated.

I was between The Judge and Betok_Haney, but for the first time I have voted for the same person in the following month, and in the running too - well done Betok_Haney.

But honestly, that won't do.

Betok_Haney I clearly loved your 75 word entry and very similar to last month, but effective is effective I guess. But my vote comes with a price, and that will be a lynch mob, with me handing out pitch forks and lengths of rope. So if you win, start running, and you can have a great head start, no problem. Chasing down the guilty is easily half the fun, the other half of a successful chase might not go so well for you, but hey... that's life! You will have won the 75 word competition two months in a row so you might as well clock out at the pinnacle of success. So I'm rooting for ya... I do love a good mob tearing about aimlessly but filled with superior moral conviction, doing good by being bad.

If Judge wins, I'll have a stack of pitch forks going cheap, because she doesn't strike me as the running type.

Justin Swanton

Loving the view from up here.
Hey guys…

GUYS!

FYBI I have a story in the challenge!!! WTH is going on with all my no-votes? Disgusting.

You should be ashamed of yourselves. Ashamed.
Well, y'see....your story was so good that I felt that pointing out how vastly superior it was to all the others would tread on some toes, whilst saying it was on a par with the other good ones would be telling lies, so the only way out I could see was to say nothing at all. What was I supposed to do?

Betok_Haney

@The Judge gets my vote with such a dark, and poignant, poem that envelops the theme of gratitude and flips it on its head. Excellent word-craft.

Others that stood out for me:

I really wanted to see how some folks would use gratitude in a military setting, and @G.T. nailed it. I could feel the pain, exhaustion and release in that little story.

@BT Jones tugged at the gratitude heart strings with John through acts of service (my personal favorite way to show gratitude).

@Mon0Zer0, thank you for a great story of family, connection and belonging, it was so beautiful.

Other stories that I loved included: @Provincial @Daysman @Venusian Broon @nixie @AnRoinnUltra @Perpetual Man

Finally, @JS Wiig words of gratitude echo my own - thank you to a great community!

Betok_Haney

Thank you JonnyJet for the mention, appreciated.

I was between The Judge and Betok_Haney, but for the first time I have voted for the same person in the following month, and in the running too - well done Betok_Haney.

But honestly, that won't do.

Betok_Haney I clearly loved your 75 word entry and very similar to last month, but effective is effective I guess. But my vote comes with a price, and that will be a lynch mob, with me handing out pitch forks and lengths of rope. So if you win, start running, and you can have a great head start, no problem. Chasing down the guilty is easily half the fun, the other half of a successful chase might not go so well for you, but hey... that's life! You will have won the 75 word competition two months in a row so you might as well clock out at the pinnacle of success. So I'm rooting for ya... I do love a good mob tearing about aimlessly but filled with superior moral conviction, doing good by being bad.

If Judge wins, I'll have a stack of pitch forks going cheap, because she doesn't strike me as the running type.

I'm confident that I won't need my running shoes this round, but...thanks?

*looks for a high castle from which I can practice my maniacle laughter with dark foreboding undertones*

chrispenycate

resident pedantissimo
Staff member
Well, that took a while - coghing and blowing my nose like an entire big-band horn section, But here is a short list - haven't sneezed on it, honest So, alphabetically :- Betok_Haney, My Final Gift, DF17 Untitled, JS Wiig, My Thanks to You , Perpetual Man, The Dictator: Deluded Justification, Phyrebrat, The Blur, therapist, Gratitude Day, The Judge, The [Secret] Anthem of the AI Servitors, and Venusian Broon, Note for Amy. With vote to JS Wiig, for concept.

Thanx nixie and Dan Jones - that was one of the darkest pieces I've ever written, and I wasn't exactly expecting much in the way of positive reactions.

Last edited:

Parson

This world is not my home
Supporter
Overall, I was saddened to see the number of stories about twisted gratitude. In a world filled with a lot of "What have you done for me lately thinking," being hopeful and grateful for so many good gifts seems to be the right thing to do, and I was hoping to see a bunch which explored that. I guess that's just me.
Okay, away I go to pick favorites

-----

Shortlisted:
Don't forget to say 'Happy Thanksgiving' to the toaster by @AnRoinnUltra because it made me laugh and think about "Artificial Stupidity."
Long Live the Emperor, Most Gracious and Merciful by @Valtharius because I love good Chron's insider stories.
John by @BT Jones because doing the right thing is simplicity itself and it is great when that is appreciated.
Thanksgiving Day, Pluto, 2121 AD by @johnnyjet for reminding everyone that sometimes service is recognized by gratitude.
Inquisitive by @chrispenycate because it's a dark, dark, but historically sound story about warped actions, warped expectations, and what must have been intentional, institutional, malfeasance.
The [Secret] Anthem of the AI Servitors by @The Judge because it is so wonderfully original and memorable. It's an erudite rendition of a taunt song.
Gratitude Day by @therapist because of its well placed sarcasm on the attempt to make gratitude mandatory.

Gracious this just doesn't get any easier.

3rd runner-up .... John by @BT Jones
2nd runner-up ... Gratitude Day by @therapist
1st runner-up ...... Thanksgiving Day, Pluto, 2121 AD by @johnnyjet
Vote ........................ The [Secret] Anthem of the AI Servitors by @The Judge

Special Award: A virtual hug for @Phyrebrat. His story is a "Blur."

paranoid marvin

Run VT Erroll!
Supporter
Many thanks for the shortlisting B T Jones.(y)

For me this month it was an easy choice. BT Jones 'John' was a heart-warming tale beautifully told; the joy in serving others is gratitude enough for one such as John. I'm very pleased that others thought so too.

The runners up goes to DF17 with an action-packed entry really well described - and a twist at the end.

Bowler1

Senile Supporter
Supporter
*looks for a high castle from which I can practice my maniacle laughter with dark foreboding undertones*

Well, at least we know where to find you, and when I say we it seems to be just me. I'll hover about the base of your tower for now and live in hope of a flash mob forming, but it looks like the Judge has it unless Phyrebrat gets into the running - it's not over until it's over.

Phyrebrat

www.beanwriting.com
Supporter
Don’t worry.

Her Hon. will sadly fail at the last fence. I’m her Beecher’s Brook; the Doctor Beeching to her provincial railway; the Priti Patel to her … okay, no politics…

ETA: for new members who may not know the rules; as TJ won the 300 she’s not allowed to win the 75 and if you vote for her you get a temporary ban and other horrid things.

Provincial

Overall, I was saddened to see the number of stories about twisted gratitude. In a world filled with a lot of "What have you done for me lately thinking," being hopeful and grateful for so many good gifts seems to be the right thing to do, and I was hoping to see a bunch which explored that. I guess that's just me.

It’s a lot easier to come up with a dramatic plotline about twisted gratitude than about the genuine variety, so buff up your hope and write off the preponderance of negativity as laziness. :)

Bowler1

Senile Supporter
Supporter
I'm confident that I won't need my running shoes this round, but...thanks?

Does it come with a burning windmill?
Too right it does, property destruction is a must for a mob. If we can talk Betok_Haney down out of his castle then with three of us, we'd officialy be a mob.