November 2021 Reading Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next up, a book which is the beginning of a series reported to be "Better than Honor Harrington." Charles E. Gannon, Fire With Fire.
Whether such a staunch fan of Honor as yourself will agree with me I doubt Parson, and yet the hero is a good guy who wants to do what’s best all the time, and isn’t a cynical wise guy, which I do think should be your sort of thing.

Whether such a staunch fan of Honor as yourself will agree with me I doubt Parson, and yet the hero is a good guy who wants to do what’s best all the time, and isn’t a cynical wise guy, which I do think should be your sort of thing.
yeah i know but the bloody thing is boring

yeah i know but the bloody thing is boring
Is the explosion-per-page count a bit low? I’d say it’s one of the least boring books I’ve read recently. The series might not be Tolstoy, but four of the novels were nominated for the Nebula, compared to none of the Honor Harrington books, so maybe my saying they are half decent isn’t completely mad.

Is the explosion-per-page count a bit low? I’d say it’s one of the least boring books I’ve read recently. The series might not be Tolstoy, but four of the novels were nominated for the Nebula, compared to none of the Honor Harrington books, so maybe my saying they are half decent isn’t completely mad.
sorry no explosions. the guy goes investigate in the moon, is turned in a popsicle, awakes up years later and is sent to another planet to investigate alien life. Sorry but either the writing or the content just don't grab me.

I'm currently reading Dune, by Frank Herbert.
I want to read it before people start talking about the film. Somehow I don't think the film will live up to the book. Hardly any film does.

sorry no explosions. the guy goes investigate in the moon, is turned in a popsicle, awakes up years later and is sent to another planet to investigate alien life. Sorry but either the writing or the content just don't grab me.
Yeah, I know the plot, but careful with possible spoilers tobl.

I'm currently reading Dune, by Frank Herbert.
I want to read it before people start talking about the film. Somehow I don't think the film will live up to the book. Hardly any film does.
The film is only part 1 of course, so it wont spoil the second half of the book. I'm hopeful Villeneuve will do a good job.

Yeah, I know the plot, but careful with possible spoilers tobl.
no apoiler lol i took care. but i read the blurb for the 3 books and then try to read the first and honestly it just doesn't click

Over the weekend I read Silver in the Wood by Emily Tesh. Easy to see why it won the World Fantasy Award. It captures the magic of woodlands and conveys a deep (but subtle) sense of the roots (pun not entirely unintended) of folklore.

Then I read the sequel, Drowned Country, which I also enjoyed and admired, though perhaps not quite as much.

I'm probably going to read this book next, bought from a charity shop. Sounds interesting, but the only thing is it mentions Germany, which I always believed didn't exist till much much later...

"It is 42 AD, and Quintus Licinius Cato has just arrived in Germany as a new recruit to the Second Legion, the toughest in the Roman army. "
FB_IMG_1637701998330-01.jpeg

I'm probably going to read this book next, bought from a charity shop. Sounds interesting, but the only thing is it mentions Germany, which I always believed didn't exist till much much later...

"It is 42 AD, and Quintus Licinius Cato has just arrived in Germany as a new recruit to the Second Legion, the toughest in the Roman army. "
Julius Caesar referred to the lands east of the Rhine valley as 'Germania'. You're right, it didn't become 'Germany' until about 1870.

I just finished The Ship of Ishtar by Abraham Merritt. I would say that these old mythical stories, similar to Homer- although, what I found most interesting, is that the God’s in this book are those named for the planets (Nergal, Tiamat, but no Marduk *sigh*) and of course, Ishtar. But these are in a category of their own as far as fantasy goes.

Thanks to @BAYLOR for the recommendation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back