SFF Chronicles is about to pass the 20,000 members mark, which is kind of exciting. Are there any plans to celebrate or mark the occasion?

In an age when forums are supposedly dying, Chrons is both pleasantly lively and pleasantly not a raging dumpster fire
A well moderated forum can make all the difference but the best form of control is our own self-control. Luckily, everybody here seems pretty well behaved and respectful of each other’s views.

Personally I’ve always viewed the moderation here as an internet equivalent of the distance between sides in the houses of parliament (two sword lengths plus a foot). It’s up to us, the members, to maintain that distance and respect for each other:)

The ban on politics here is very effective, in two ways, not only stopping escalatory political arguments and ill feeling but also in preventing the hijacking of the forum by those active political operatives who join solely to push a political agenda. I have seen other communities destroyed by them.
It is a small sanctuary from the increasing madness that is out there. :cool:

I was one of those often getting into political debate here and was initially disappointed when the ban came in.

My opinion, however, has now changed and I find that I now support that ban.
It has indeed made this place what it should be - a place to escape the strife for a while where we can discuss or even debate our love of all things SF&F:)

The ban on politics here is very effective, in two ways, not only stopping escalatory political arguments and ill feeling but also in preventing the hijacking of the forum by those active political operatives who join solely to push a political agenda. I have seen other communities destroyed by them.
It is a small sanctuary from the increasing madness that is out there. :cool:

Ive been to more than a few sites where political debate and discussion ends up devolving into insults , personal attacks and worse and, heaven help you , if the people in those places don't happen like you or your politics and opinions. The only time you gets anything that passes for rational debate in those places is, if all participants are like minded individuals who agree on everything.

Yes, politics tends to ruin everything which, is why we don't need it here.

Anybody who puts politics on here won't get my vote!
Clever Danny! Clever!

-----

When we did discuss politics here it was always very strange for me. I am just about the most liberal person among my non-online friends and acquaintances and just one of the more conservative here on most social and political matters.

Yes, as the saying goes: Everyone has the right to express their opinion. Unless they disagree with someone else's opinion.

Let's have a round of applause for Brian, who saw possible problems, studied the ramifications and wisely closed down the 'news' site.

It's lucky that we don't consider mentioning the ban on politics on the Chrons is, de facto, talking about politics on the Chrons...;)

Sigh! Give a bunch of literate folks a topic and they will show you how it all can be twisted so that you say, "What?...." ;)

When does the countdown begin?
At the moment there are 24 to go (or should that be to come) ;)

24togo.png

As mentioned above, we've reached 20,000 members before (probably more than once) and then dropped down when bots, etc. were purged. Which will undoubtedly happen again, and the same number reached many times again.

I think that other forum milestones, when we reach them, might be cause for some celebration.