7.02: Fear the Walking Dead - Six Hours

ctg

weaver of the unseen
dAjbUYN.jpg

Morgan and Grace must leave the safety of the submarine to face life outside.

Dear Lord, bring up a child in a nuclear sub. What a job, but at least they're in a protected environment, with a lot of mass to absorb the radiation. When you think about, as a play ground a nuclear sub offers a lot intriguing details, but keeping it operational 24/7 is a lot of work. Especially as you need to constantly replace the CO2 filters.

There is only a finite stock of them, but given that the sub is not fully manned and they open hatches regularly things can last for a long time. Decades? Definitely not ... without replacements.

Next biggest problem you'll have is the toilets. They all need water to cycle. Our sub is sitting firmly on a dryland and therefore, flushing isn't going to work. But at least you'll have lights and lot of intriguing things to study.

HRDgodp.jpg

That is a serious fish-face. Baby ain't happy. In a nuke sub, in the temple of silence and destruction, crying shouldn't be allowed, but it's clear that she doesn't give a toss about rules and protocols.

Lenny has his own and he handled the situation like a pro. Going out, different thing. At least Grace can handle that with her extensive experience, but she ain't a fighter. Scientist and an engineer, yes. Fighter, yes but only marginally, because Morgan would have handled the scavengers differently.

The Kirkman's world has changed as the normal scavengers should be considered as a danger for long term survival. Radiation is a bitch. Morgan quoted Graces and it was established that six hours is max exposure for anyone wanting long term survival ... as a protocol limit.

In the science it is measured a bit differently and we learned from Chernobyl that the limits aren't always guaranteeing cancer or other serious things. But we are in the Kirkman's world and things can be bent as they have been in the Dead.

One thing is a fact, the radiation will accumulate overtime and the body doesn't have a system that can get rid of it. There are medical treatments to flush out stuff, but once you get it, you'll have it for rest of your life. And they aren't living in the Fallout world that had antirad chemicals.

ouMtMgk.jpg

Damn. A Mad Max style a wagon and a baby environmental suit fashioned from a dental kit. I absolutely love that Fear has these crazy vehicles we never see in TWD. He clearly has put a lot of effort on getting our from the radiation cloud, but it ain't mil proofed. They still get the replacement air conventionally and they all need good scrubbing, when they get out from the fallout zone.

The dog was doing it for real. No radiation suit for him. Nothing but good old nose on the ground for sniffs and stuff. :cool:

The crash in the fallout zone town could be credited for Grace freaking out. She's clearly overthinking, while Morgan is being a square daddy-o. There ain't nothing he can handle. Not even the crash, which to be honest, was predicted by putting in those massive bumpers.

What I don't get is Grace's wish for death. The baby clearly had made her head in. Her only clause was that as long as Morgan and baby are fine, she will continue existing with the living. But to be honest, I could feel depressed in her shoes too.

Overall, it was a good idea to ally with the scavengers, but the sub induces cabin fever.

Bplww2H.jpg

I kind of wish that Morgan would not have found that car and get it working, as it has got them in so much trouble. If only he would have gone out and found that baby formula like she asked. So, it's really Morgan's "I can fix this" problem that got them all in trouble.

The one thing Morgan's wagon did well was the zombie business.

At least at the end, Morgan admitted his failures, and Grace her own. They are not working as one unit as both of them are pulling two directions. What they need is time outside the fallout zone that is not in the sub.

0VgWgdu.jpg

Damn. Victor's man came in checking the sub and to offer Grace and the baby a chance in Strand tower. It's a good thing that Grace said no and they found the extra supplies in the mess hall. At least they have hope for the survival.

This reinforced my conviction that those who die in a nuclear blast are the lucky ones. Even without the walkers, competing with other survivors for the few bags of Cheetos which may have escaped the destruction would not seem like much of an existence to me.
Morgan's Mad Max escape car was cartoonish. The oversized cow catcher he attached to the front end might have done well at clearing walkers in its path, but what made him think that it could handle the massive amounts of building materials and other debris that must have been blown on the roads by the shock wave? Never ask a modified Pinto to do the work of a bulldozer.
The episode did set up the coming Morgan-Strand duel to the death.

Last edited:
Emile mentions an unnamed brother in the Season 6 premiere, "The End Is the Beginning," when Rufus sniffs out USS Pennsylvania crew member Walter (Damon Carney). Emile takes Walter's head and his key to a beached submarine.

Before Emile can deliver the key to Teddy's followers in Galveston, Texas, Pioneers leader Virginia (Colby Minifie) calls in a bounty on Morgan Jones. When Emile tracks Morgan to the Valley Town where Isaac is hiding a pregnant Rachel from Virginia and her Rangers, Morgan kills Emile with his own ax.

Morgan leaves Emile's decapitated head in the box marked "Morgan Jones" and radios a warning to Virginia: "Morgan Jones is dead. You are dealing with somebody else now."

"When we see a figure walk up to the burnt box that says 'Morgan Jones' and we see that figure lift the head up, and we see him take his mask off and we realize it's Emile's face looking back at walker Emile, we realize that he actually had a twin brother," Fear co-showrunner Andrew Chambliss says on Fear TWD Episode Insider. "When we cast Demetrius Grosse in the role of Emile and we saw his audition and then we saw his dailies come in, we knew he was an amazing actor and he really brought something special to this role."

"We wanted to find a way to bring this character," Chambliss added, "or to bring Demetrius back, even if it wasn't as Emile."

Not all twins are twins with equal motivations, and interests. Why are they bringing Emile back? Is it just because he's a good actor, or is there something because it is a usual trope in the series, and not unusual.

I get his hatred for Morgan decapitating his brother and sending it as a message to Ginny. But how did it survive the blast with the box so intact? I originally though that the rider was some lost dude from Ginny's rangers, not the twin brother. He took two hits from .308 before he dropped on the ground. And the way he moved, I thought one of them hit his shoulder, before Morgan nailed the centre mass hit ... which would have hit the plate. As we are assuming that he was wearing a plate carrier.

It's just I'm fairly certain that Morgan weren't stacking those hits on top of each other. He shot three times, one missed. Aiming through the irons, with questionable night sights, well done. There aren't many plates that can take 308 and stop the penetration.

But the geezer was fine when he pulled in the wagon, now including the dog and did the reveal. Is it possible that he ordered someone to go out there, while he was sitting in the car?

Not sure about this one, yes they needed to find more supplies and the sub is not a long term solution.

The scavengers believing Mo was their baby? The hunter knowing were they where? Strand's people being in the sub?

Then when there was no hope they found supplies in a sub they've been living in since the fallout. I expect better from Fear.
The vehicle was cool, so was the baby suit.

So, the theme this season is going to be PADRE. What is it, or who is he? Why is it a safe route? I hope it doesn't just turn out to be a religious conversion or baptism, but is some kind of military project or working railroad.
The scavengers believing Mo was their baby? The hunter knowing were they where? Strand's people being in the sub?
Actually, I didn't have a problem. The scavengers have radiation poisoning - they might genuinely believe anything, and then a few minutes later think it was stupid. The hunters would follow the car lights and sound, and they gave them plenty of time to find them. Strand knows where the USS Pennsylvania was and he would tell his people it would be a good place to find interesting tech and equipment.

Reactions: ctg