What does it mean, a work shin?

Danny McG

"Uroshnor!"
I'm reading Coffin Dancer by Jeffrey Deaver, ebook version, and I've noticed this item, what is a work shin?
Is it USA slang?

Quote:-

"He was in jeans, Reeboks, a work shin, a gray windbreaker speckled with paint drips. On his belt was his cell phone and a large tape measure"

Deaver is a strange man. A few years back I attended a book launch where he read from his new book.

Deaver stood centre stage and the lighting was subdued and from above giving him the appearance of a talking skull. The passage he read was somewhat macabre adding to the distinctly uncomfortable atmosphere.

"He was in jeans, Reeboks, a work shin, a gray windbreaker speckled with paint drips. On his belt was his cell phone and a large tape measure"
What's the character's occupation? Would it involve climbing or something that might create injury to the lower leg? If so, might it be a kind of shin guard?

Otherwise, might it simply be a typo for work shirt?

I've not heard of this myself, so can only judge from the facts given. We are told he's wearing a jacket, belt, jeans and trainers. So it must likely be something fitting over the top of those (unless his windbreaker is unzipped). It's singular, and so probably not something on his legs, feet or arms. We can see what he has attached to his utility belt, and the paint and colour of his jacket, so probably not some kind of work apron.

I'm guessing some from of headwear, but if we know his occupation this may help?

Assuming the typo explanation is correct (and I think it's pretty certain) we then have to figure out what the author means by "work shirt".

Heavier or stiffer material sometimes--might have a logo for the business he works for.
Might have a blue collar--ie, all blue.

Snagged it.
linc-rymes.png

Last edited:

Back